This competition is open to all individuals (including patients) and organizations interested in designing devices or supplies for people with diabetes (medications not included). DiabetesMine™ will accept submissions in two categories: age 17 and under, and age 18 and older.
Submissions can be made beginning March 1, 2010, until Friday, April 30, 2010, at 11:59 pm PST. The winners will be announced on Friday, June 11, 2010.
• Entries can be made in either video or paper submission format:
o a movie or an animation, no more than 2 minutes long, which will be submitted by uploading into the 2010 DiabetesMine™ Challenge Group on YouTube.
• Each product or design concept must be new, i.e. introduced within the last half-year, or in development phase, possibly undergoing user testing now.
• One video or paper entry per product idea only, please.
• The product or design concept needs to have been created in its entirety by the submitting team, i.e. it must not infringe or violate the rights* of any third parties, including, but not limited to the copyrights, patents, trademarks, trade secrets, and right of publicity/privacy.
• Each submission needs to contain the following aspects describing your new design:
o Explanation of the everyday problem(s) your concept is designed to solve – how does it help improve life for people with diabetes?
o Description of the medical application of the product.
o Detailed depiction of the product’s look and feel, material, and dimensions. Ideally videos will include a 360-degree shot of the product or design concept.
o Demonstration of the product in action and its various functions, if possible.
• Each video segment must display the 2010 DiabetesMine™ Design Challenge title screen at the beginning and end for five seconds. (That file is available for download here)
→ Note that by submitting an entry for the DiabetesMine™ Design Challenge, submitters agree to the following:
(all the necessary legalese)
1. No purchase necessary to enter or win a prize. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
2. Entrants agree to irrevocably allow DiabetesMine™ to post materials free of charge on its website, partner websites, or other venues where contest material shall be promoted, royalty-free. Do not submit any materials if you are not the legal owner.
3. Materials submitted may be published in the public domain, royalty-free, by the contest organizers, in conjunction with promotions of this competition. All efforts on the part of DiabetesMine™ will be in good faith to maintain correct acknowledgment of the submitter. Please NOTE: entrants retain full intellectual property (IP) rights to their submitted concepts.
4. DiabetesMine™ reserves the right to accept or decline materials.
5. Entrants agree that Submission Materials shall not contain, include or involve any obscenity, crude, vulgar or offensive images, or any other content deemed inappropriate by the contest organizers.