1. andy
    andy August 19, 2014 at 10:13 am | | Reply

I’m also in the same boat, next year it’s either pump supplies or cgms. I have employer insurance, co pays and co insurance too much. What a shame. I make a fair income. Hope mdi will keep a1c below 7!

2. Laddie
    Laddie August 19, 2014 at 5:15 pm | | Reply

My good insurance will be ending at the end of 2014. I terrified of making a decision for my next insurance. As far as I can tell, the best part of getting insurance is to get “insurance-negotiated” rates. I don’t know whether I should try to get good insurance or just get the crappiest available and self-insure while getting insurance-negotiated rates.

3. tmana
    tmana August 19, 2014 at 5:36 pm | | Reply

Bottom line: healthcare is a business. If people aren’t making money at it, the business will fold and the public will be left without any opportunity for healthcare. That said, US costs subsidize the low payments made by European and other socialized-medicine countries. In addition, FDA approval takes so long that there is little ability for a drug manufacturer to recoup R&D costs without exorbitant pricing structures. Faster approval to market and refusal to deal with European/foreign price caps are needed to help patients in the US.

4. Dan
    Dan August 19, 2014 at 9:00 pm | | Reply

The healthcare system in the US is broken beyond repair. Doctors demand huge wages for their work. Nurses demand huge wages. Pharmacists demand huge wages. You get the picture.

Hospitals demand premium charges. And as the racket goes, hospitals and doctors rarely reveal upfront costs.

Then you have the problem of the middle men–the insurance companies. All they want is to control costs (restrict care) and make profits.

Drug companies make pretty much worthless stuff now (new drugs only have to beat a placebo and demonstrate at least equal effectiveness to any equivalent drug on the market) where most generics to better than any recent drugs in most areas including diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. But the newer stuff is marketed. Think about it: There is no better diabetic drug than metformin–it is actually an anti-aging drug. Look at this link:

However, most doctors will try to put people on newer classes of drugs even though metformin is generic. Type 1 diabetics are given all sorts of expensive treatments such as symlin when they would be better off taking metformin to increase insulin sensitivity and control glucose release from the liver.

With so many characters trying to make a killing off healthcare, how can we ever fix the system. It is out of control.

Think about the cost of an insulin pump for a second. A simple machine that has a reserve of insulin that pushes it out according to what you tell it (pretty simple machine) costs 5 grand to 10 grand. Come one. An insulin pump is no iPhone. The engineering and programming is pretty simple. However, companies like Medtronic will act as if they created a space shuttle.

5. David
    David August 20, 2014 at 10:14 am | | Reply

@Dan, I wonder the same why pumps cost so much. The only answers I can think of are that pumps deliver micro-doses, existing patents held by other companies limit design options, and that the regulatory approval process is costly. I assume new players like Tandem and Asante have incurred huge startup costs that have to be recouped. I’d love to see a solid, low cost pump enter the market but for better or for worse, the trend appears to be CGM integration and someday Artificial Pancreas algorithms which are not going to improve pricing and access to more PWD’s. If anyone has insight, I’d love to hear more.

6. Lynn
    Lynn August 22, 2014 at 12:14 am | | Reply

We dropped our small business plan and took the Gold plan with the help of subsidy. We had to choose where to put the coverage, explained to me as cost sharing. It was either pay out of pocket for diagnostics (we have lots of blood tests, so that was a no) or choose poor DME. Strip coverage is good, insulin is middle tier. But, pumps are a whopping 50 percent and supplies are too. Our HMO in NM made a boo boo, the DME is 50 not the 30% they had printed in the brochure. Went from extremely high premiums last year, to better premium but without the 100 percent supply coverage this year. Supplies will run almost $300 per order. We do not have a deductible, but we have terrible hospital coverage. You who need CGMs coverage, I feel for you but I am not happy even looking at this for pumps or supplies. Pitiful. I stocked up last few years, and may live off that for a long time. I’m waiting for the Snap pump to provide Novolog cartridges, I think that may be the way to go.