1. David
    David August 4, 2014 at 7:10 am | | Reply

Tandem is doing good work and it is cool to see a new player get a successful toehold in the pump market and evolve their product. I do wonder why the Tslim and the Dexcom which have already passed the FDA separately require 12-18 months for approval when integrated?

1. Thayne
      Thayne September 30, 2014 at 10:39 am | | Reply

David,
      I understand your logic. However, being a device research engineer has taught me that there are no small changes. I think the FDA is wise to take precaution to ensure there are no bugs or flaws introduced in the integrated system, which truly is different from those two separate devices.
      Thayne

2. Mike
    Mike August 4, 2014 at 7:16 am | | Reply

What is the story of Tandem and upgrades. Do they have a formal program like Animas or Medtronic? Did you ask them that? If not a lot of people eligible for upgrades and thinking about Tandem will likely sit on the sidelines waiting for the new upgraded pump to get on the market.

3. lap
    lap August 4, 2014 at 7:45 am | | Reply

Tandem has reassured me (as a new user) that upgrades will be available at least at the same cost level as Animas ($100 or $200 I think). And in writing, so they’re serious about it.

4. Christina
    Christina August 4, 2014 at 8:43 am | | Reply

I see on the face of the device there is the combined trend screen and IOB. My question is…will the T:Connect software allowed of cloud integration of the CGM data into your data? Its been very frustrating not having the CGM in a cloud type program and would love to have the CGM part integrated into the T:Connect program.

5. StephenS
    StephenS August 4, 2014 at 8:54 am | | Reply

I think this filing was one of the worst-kept secrets in the biz this summer:) I’m glad they finally submitted everything. Thanks for bringing us a thorough review of what Tandem is up to!

6. Harry
    Harry August 4, 2014 at 9:06 am | | Reply

I want to be excited about this, but considering how long the Animas Vibe FDA approval (?) process is taking, I’m worried that by the time this is widely available, we’ll have more advanced separate pump & cgm devices. If that’s the case, which is more important…having the latest technology, or having older technology bundled into a single package?

7. Melissa Lee
    Melissa Lee August 4, 2014 at 11:11 am | | Reply

Thanks for keeping our community informed. Great write-up.

8. Ed
    Ed August 4, 2014 at 12:58 pm | | Reply

What great coverage and I’m a big fan of Tandem. Their service is amazing. However, I hope (for Tandem’s sake) that their T:Dual final design considers the fact that you should have a design that NEVER allows the user to confuse whatever is in the two different chambers (e.g., glucagon can’t be confused for insulin and vice versa).

they are going to need to develop a system that prevents user error 100% of the time …

9. Merle Gleeson
    Merle Gleeson August 4, 2014 at 7:55 pm | | Reply

Thanks for the post Mike. After many years as a MedT wearer I just upgraded to the t:slim because I believe Tandem is heading in the direction I’m most interested in. They appear to be on the fast track for the most exciting technology possible and I want to be part of this!

10. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell August 5, 2014 at 5:41 am | | Reply

Thanks for an informative article Mike. I’m a little ‘concerned’ that the integrated pump will hit the market followed, 9 months later, by the dual chamber with AP algorithms in place. Knowing Tandem I’m sure they’re already looking at ways to pack Dexcom integration into the t:dual.

We live in exciting d-times. I’m glad to have the ‘Mine to help me keep up to date with all the developments.

11. Anthony
    Anthony August 12, 2014 at 8:46 am | | Reply

Hi. You mention in this article that Tandem had to “replace” the bluetooth chip in the t:slim with the Dexcom chip for the upcoming G4 pump. What bluetooth chip is currently in the t:slim? I am not aware of any wireless capabilities in the current production t:slim pump. Am I missing something? BTW – I use a t:slim. Thanks!

12. Anthony
    Anthony August 14, 2014 at 12:15 pm | | Reply

Thanks Mike. While you were at the facilities, did Tandem give any explanation as to why there is a bluetooth chip in the current t:slim? What is its purpose? Thanks!

13. Ciwi
    Ciwi August 25, 2014 at 9:10 pm | | Reply

Wow! I’m still waiting for Tandem to start selling outside the US though (insert sad T1D face here). Does anyone have a clue if that may be on the cards at any point?

14. Thayne
    Thayne September 30, 2014 at 10:43 am | | Reply

We need a wish list for Tandem. This may not be the right place for it or maybe one is already out there but I’ll post my wishes here (there’s still time to get it for Christmas….2015):

I would like to see the touch screen have a little more “smart phone”-like experience, in terms of interaction with it. I really don’t want to be able to play games or read my email on my insulin pump, but there is a huge untapped potential there. I recently switched from Medtronic to Tandem because Medtronic seems to be stuck in the last decade while Tandem is truly innovating.

15. MARCI
    MARCI November 14, 2014 at 4:07 pm | | Reply

This has been so helpful! I have been with the Animas Ping for the last 8 years and am considering switching to the T:Slim. My biggest concern is that it doesn’t seem to have the ability to communicate with my BS tester….or maybe I missed that somewhere. As a woman sometimes pump placement has to get creative depending on the outfit and when out in public getting the pump out to bolus is not always an option. Still researching the options out there!