1. Keith Brooks
    Keith Brooks August 1, 2014 at 5:13 am | | Reply

I’m so glad that I have a over-active thyroid gland. Due to my various complication’s my docto won’t give me any med’s. for it, as it would be bad on my already ill kidney’s. Now, I actually, weigh 10 lbs. less than I did 26 yrs. ago in high school.
    I won’t go to the beach either. I don’t want everyone staing at my pump’s insertion in my stomach.

2. Joe
    Joe August 1, 2014 at 5:15 am | | Reply

Wow, sounds like she is slamming and shaming T1′s that wear Insulin pumps, and doing a superior dance because she still uses syringes and vials.
    All I can say kindly is please come into the latter half of the 20th century.
    I bet you still use urine strips to test your blood sugar and not those icky new fangled blood glucose meters.

3. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter August 1, 2014 at 6:22 am | | Reply

Under-active thyroid that my doctor worries about overmedicating, post-menopausal, scoliosis plus the insulin bumps that we know come from being told the stomach is where we should be injecting, yet everyone assumes we just have no control around cookies. Frustrating.

4. steve
    steve August 1, 2014 at 11:03 am | | Reply

Why not use insulin pens? I used needles and vials for many years. Then I used a pump for a few years, until I realized the “ease” of pumping was expensive and a pain in the infusion site. Now I use pens and tiny little needles… No bumps.

5. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter August 1, 2014 at 1:10 pm | | Reply

Hyperlipotrophy = bumps=weird lumps of fat where insulin has been injected. Doesn’t look like the kind of fat you get from too many cookies.

6. Carol Hoffnagle
    Carol Hoffnagle October 3, 2014 at 4:33 pm | | Reply

When is the medical establishment going to acknowledge hyperlipotrophy in those with Type I for over 25 years? I have stomach fat that is an island unto itself. Change your sites doesn’t work after 31+ years. Apparently liposuction is the only answer but neither doctors or insurance companies are willing to talk about it.