1. Scott E
    Scott E August 14, 2014 at 5:00 am | | Reply

I would imagine that, by giving away details on what didn’t work, they’d be compelled to reveal some of the intellectual property on how it was SUPPOSED to work. Without some sort of protection on that research, it’s fair game for someone else to copy. With that said, I wouldn’t be surprised if they sell the project to another company who will continue development of the product.

2. pwd doc
    pwd doc August 14, 2014 at 7:28 am | | Reply

It costs a LOT of money to develop a new product. Details are usually held confidential. If we want companies to invest money in R & D. we have to understand the financial competition and the need for confidentiality.

We consumers are NOT entitled to confidential intellectual property secrets unless it directly affects patient safety.

The diabetes community has to be realistic if we want progress

3. joltdude
    joltdude August 14, 2014 at 8:10 am | | Reply

Actually Leona Helmsley Charitable Trust and JDRF *SHOULD* be entitled to this research since they funded BD…. Why not court another company whose interested in pursuing the development if they aren’t…. Case in point.. you do realize BD was the original designer of the Medtronic CGMS sensor (CGMS Gold)… which evolved into what they are using today.. If not.. this will basically be a submarine patent….

4. David
    David August 14, 2014 at 8:14 am | | Reply

I wonder if BD was Insulet’s mystery partner to create a CGM-pump product? It is startling to see Insulet back on board with Dexcom integration.

5. Brandon
    Brandon August 14, 2014 at 11:59 am | | Reply

I applaud HCT and JDRF for taking risks. That’s the only way we’ll move forward. Great job guys! And you should get a standing ovation for pulling out when you saw it wasn’t going where you’d hoped.

6. Dan
    Dan August 14, 2014 at 5:08 pm | | Reply

What has JDFR invested in that has really paid off in terms of a real world therapy or technology for type 1 diabetics? That is, without their partnership it would not be here today? What?

I cannot think of one thing.

In addition, this closed end loop will not be closed of a long time.

Thus, I do not contribute to JDFR.

I still use a test strip to test my blood sugar. I use Dexcom to see patterns. I use a fast acting insulin and a long acting one as well.

Guess what? Where is the breakthrough.

I agree with the author: JDFR’s silence is not build confidence.

7. Malcolm Whitmore
    Malcolm Whitmore August 22, 2014 at 12:17 pm | | Reply

It is sad to see this work terminated,this is the downside of the way medical research is organised with the prime target of making money. As in this case the competition inherent in the system precludes collaboration that would enable the benefit of this work to be picked up and potentially used to make a significant break through at a lower net cost than the duplication of the market based approach.
    We have a growing diabetic community that is a captive market for diabetic products ,prioritising money spinners is easy,there is insufficient money in finding cures but plenty to keep test strips available.