1. Bruce
    Bruce August 23, 2014 at 6:08 am | | Reply

I have some Scottish ancestry, my G4 receiver is still running after 19 months. About once every 3 months, I run it with the new one and they are dead on, then I turn the new one off and save it. I also use my lancets for more than a year. If it still works, don’t replace it!

2. Susan Marshall
    Susan Marshall August 25, 2014 at 6:20 am | | Reply

Why don’t they just integrate the receiver into a smartphone app.

1. MikeH
      MikeH August 25, 2014 at 6:23 am | | Reply

Hi, Susan – that’s the plan for the Dexcom G5. We’ve written a lot about that next-gen device, so make sure to take a look at our past coverage.

3. Denise
    Denise August 25, 2014 at 9:21 am | | Reply

I agree. Dex uses those same crummy micro ports that most phones and kindles use. They just don’t last that long and new tech comes out so frequently that it would be pointless to invest in them when you are going to want an upgrade anyway. And Dex has to “garentee” the shortest expected life since it is a medical device and you are countling on it lasting for the specified time so it may last longer but Dex can only claim a year. The ports are delicate.

4. Denise
    Denise August 25, 2014 at 9:22 am | | Reply

Hey, if anyone at dex is listening, how ’bout a pebble like watch receiver? Shrink down the receiver and put a strap on it.

5. Daniele
    Daniele August 26, 2014 at 12:13 am | | Reply

Dexcom receiver hardware is worth 60$ at most, it can be emulated using a wixel (20$) a display and a case. It’s sad to see a recharge of 10 times …
    In the community effort http://www.nightscout.info a receiver is connected through a cell phone to the cloud, and then to a pebble indeed ;-)

6. Charla
    Charla August 29, 2014 at 4:21 am | | Reply

We are paying out of pocket for the Dexcom because Medicare does not recognize that it is imperative to saving my husband’s life. He is totally unaware of hypoglycemia. I have written many letters concerning this and at this point, we still bear this expense. A phone, as you mentioned, is a choice. The sensor is not! We must have it to keep my husband safe and alive.

7. Myra
    Myra August 29, 2014 at 6:32 am | | Reply

I am one of those Medicare “recipients”. When my transmitter lasts only 6 months, that is an extra $600 over my $400 a month for sensors. Add in one receiver per year, and another $600 flies out of my pocket. Ouch. I am not sympathetic.

8. kristina blake
    kristina blake August 29, 2014 at 8:43 am | | Reply

I pay out of pocket for my Dexcom4 (Kaiser NW doesn’t consider it evidenced based medicine). Anyway, my receiver has lasted over 2 years, and my transmitter about 14 months. I’ve had good luck. Like Will, I recarhge when I am down to one bar.

9. Clemmie
    Clemmie December 15, 2014 at 5:50 am | | Reply

Yes! Finally something about v2 cig code.