1. Karen
    Karen July 23, 2014 at 5:06 am | | Reply

So when you say “cherry is the preferred flavor” does that mean that is the only flavor they are selling? I was thinking about ordering some to try out, but I could only find cherry on their site. I detest anything cherry flavored. :( But still, interesting product and thanks for the info!

2. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter July 23, 2014 at 7:12 am | | Reply

3 lows a week = 7 pound weight gain over a year. That explains a lot. The small size would be convenient. Hope the flavors aren’t too tart. I switched from glucose tablets to tiny juice boxes because the tablets were too acidic and disturbed my stomach. I look forward to trying them.

3. Jen M
    Jen M July 23, 2014 at 7:36 am | | Reply

>>all-natural powder that doesn’t have any dies in it

I think you mean dyes. :)

4. Patty
    Patty July 23, 2014 at 7:46 am | | Reply

I know it’s just marketing, I think she should drop that weight gain information. I don’t know what candy, when eaten in approximately 15g increments has 166 calories, which is what her statistics assumes.

Maybe some juice does, but even the Kool Aid juice pouches in my fridge have 70 calories for 19g. Glucose tabs are traditionally 60 cal for 16g, starbursts are 81.5 cal for 16.5g and skittles are 64cal for 15g.

This treatment is 62cal for 15g.

This may be a great fast acting glucose, especially being mixed with water. In fact, I think I’ll order some and see if my daughter likes them. But to imply that this treatment is so much more beneficial calorie-wise is just not true.

5. Mike Ratrie
    Mike Ratrie July 23, 2014 at 10:06 am | | Reply

Interesting. Always good to have options, but I am with Karen when it comes to cherry — YUCK!

@Mary Dexter, I never thought the glucose tabs would disturb the stomach, thanks for enlightening me.

@Patty, I am not sure your “just marketing” comment is completely justified. I guess it depends on what you are treating the lows with. While I agree that comparing 15g to 15g servings is the most logical, many people are treating with juice, candy and consuming the whole “package” to treat a low, which is frequently more than 15g of carb, plus maybe some grams of protein and fat.

6. TL
    TL July 23, 2014 at 12:39 pm | | Reply

After many years of the D I have developed allergies to many foods-cherries (all stone fruits) strawberries and melons included. I loved the sour apple flavor of the Quiksticks and actually like the mouth feel of those! Hoping for more flavors soon, and for one that I can actually eat.

7. Don Kloos
    Don Kloos August 28, 2014 at 10:52 am | | Reply

- ANSWERS FROM ELOVATE 15 (DIASAN CORP)

-Of the hundreds of diabetics we surveyed, cherry was the flavor most often requested. If the community supports Elovate 15, we already plan to provide more flavors.

- Regarding calories: Figure about 4 calories per gram of glucose, or simple carb. Elovate 15 would have 60 calories. Calories from other ingredients like chocolate, butter, grains, milks, oils are unnecessary. For example, the Starburst cited in the above comments proves the point: “starbursts are 81.5 cal for 16.5g”. Even 16.5g of pure glucose would be only 66 calories, so Starburst at 81.5 cal has at least 15.5 extra unneeded calories, or about 20% extra ! That adds up and costs more in the end.

Candies, juices, sweets are mostly based on sucrose or fructose, and they take a long time to convert to glucose which your body actually uses. When you’re having a low, what you need is glucose – and fast. By eating a candy, or drinking juice, how much glucose have you actually given yourself? Does this cause you to spike? How do you manage blood sugar levels precisely and effectively this way?

The American Diabetes Association recommends taking 15-20 grams of glucose or simple carbs then checking BSg again.