1. Brian (bsc)
    Brian (bsc) July 19, 2014 at 5:45 am | | Reply

While meters are basically the same, I actually feel like the lances do differ. I really like my onetouch delica as compared to other lances I’ve owned. It seems designed to be easier to use and less painful. I also found that if I lanced on the sides of my fingers it hurt less as there are fewer nerves there. Unfortunately these sorts of things are actually better learned from others with diabetes, a healthcare professional with only book learning isn’t the best. So it is also good to encourage someone newly diagnosed to reach out to local face to face support groups as well as the on-line community. Forums such as tudiabetes.org and diabetesdaily.com welcome new diagnosed and generously answer questions.

2. Amber
    Amber July 19, 2014 at 8:15 am | | Reply

I have to agree with Brian’s comment about the One Touch Delica and using the sides of fingers instead of the direct center or tip. It hurts much less. Since I developed hypoglycemic unawareness in 2002 (I was diagnosed type 1 in 1996), I’ve averaged about 15+ BG tests per day. I’ve gotten calluses and I use the highest setting on all the lancet devices I own. Even so, using the Delica doesn’t hurt in the least and draws a predictably-sized droplet each time.

I had previously used the Accu-chek Multiclix, and I can highly recommend it as well. You don’t have to handle lancets, just a compact drum, and it’s gentle. The only downside for me was the size, as it wouldn’t fit into my new case and is about twice as big as the Delica. It’s roughly the size and shape of a dry erase marker.

3. Lauren
    Lauren July 19, 2014 at 9:20 am | | Reply

I love the clear tip on the lancing devices… I can’t get blood from a finger tip even if i sliced it off i swear. So for me the clear tip works great for the arm site testing (that’s all I’ve ever used it for anyway) but not all meters say they’re approved for alt. site testing. (Not that that’s ever stopped me!) To each there own I guess. I’ve used almost every meter on the market since 1998 (Type 1) and I love the Freestyle. The downside to those strips it that they’re expensive without insurance. For that I’d definitely say TrueTest or ReliOn (at Walmart). Good luck Allison! :)

4. Ron
    Ron July 19, 2014 at 2:49 pm | | Reply

The photo showing the fingerstick has it on the tender and much-used face of the finger. I was taught to go on the side when diagnosed in 2000. Have things changed, or is the photo incorrect?

1. Skye
      Skye July 20, 2014 at 12:46 pm | | Reply

Where you poke is a matter of preference, there isn’t a right or wrong way, as long as it gets the blood out. I HATE HATE HATE the side-of-finger method, I know that there’s supposed to be less nerves on the sides so it should hurt less, but my fingers disagree entirely when I try that.
      I do 99% of my tests on the pad of my finger (and have for 20+ years now), because for me, it hurts way less and gives blood easily.
      I also avoid ‘alternate site’ testing like the plague, because I find it also hurts, and doesn’t reliably give blood. However, I do use the clear cap (and dial down the depth setting) when I have colorful lancets, because whats the point of having colorful ones if I can’t ever see them?!

To each their own though!

5. Takkai
    Takkai July 20, 2014 at 3:10 pm | | Reply

Hi, I’m new here but wanted to chime in. I’ve was diagnosed 3 years ago w/T2 and spent the first year frantic but also super motivated to learn how to care for myself, which meant a LOT of experimenting (I am my best guinea pig). And, yes, learning to use your meter, test strips and lancing device is NOT intuitive. I went through a packet of test strips (25) trying to figure out how to proper get them to work. And I do have health ins. so was able to go to a 2 day class to learn these things, I’m just a slow learner plus I had to overcome this aversion (not fear) of pricking myself, it’s just sooo not normal for me). I use the One Touch Delica too and it’s been fine by me. I did buy a different one because I’d heard it use a thinner lancet thus hurt even less but I have opened the package and I think I may have lost it by now (I have a big black hole in my apartment where things disappear). I do use all 9 fingers (never my thumbs) and lance on the sides, sometimes the tip tops but not that often (usually it’s almost by accident), find that my pointers have thicker skin then my other fingers so use those the lease. Have never poked myself on the pad of my fingers. I change fingers each time so I won’t develop callouses. One of the BIG tricks I found was timing. Setting up the meter with a test strip only partially inserted (enough so the strip doesn’t fall out but not so far that the meter starts responding) My One Touch meter starts the response as soon as the strip is fully inserted and I am not always ready with enough blood to “wet” the strip sufficiently to get a reading, and if you don’t get the blood on the strip within the time the meter thinks is enough time, you just wasted a test strip, have to dig out a new one and do the whole process over again but faster. It does take practice to get your timing right.

6. Robin
    Robin July 21, 2014 at 5:18 pm | | Reply

Welcome to the club, Allison! Wil’s advice is great as always. I find that warm hands make for a much easier stick, and use the sides of my fingers and the thinnest ultra-fine lancets, about 10 times per day. If I remember to change the lancet frequently enough it doesn’t hurt much at all. :)

It’s overwhelming now, but it gets better!