1. chris
    chris June 4, 2014 at 4:39 am | | Reply

Would like to see Medtronic get the basics right: reliable sensors and infusion sets. Seems they’d rather focus on generating headlines though.

This whole idea seems misguided to me anyway.

1. Mary Dexter
      Mary Dexter June 4, 2014 at 5:04 am | | Reply

I agree. I used the Revel up until a few years ago. Unlike my G4, the Revel would take a day and a half to get somewhat accurate and then start losing accuracy by the end of day 3. Compare this to 7+ days of better accuracy with the G4. Half the time, the Revel would say I was high when I was low and vice versa. I would not trust it to decide when I should receive insulin. Finally, the reason I went back to MDI was because an unsolvable issue with bubbles in the reservoir leading me to not receive insulin. Medtronic kept asking what I was doing wrong and the pump never gave an occlusion alarm. At least with MDI, I know the insulin went into my body.

2. pcb
    pcb June 4, 2014 at 6:35 am | | Reply

not interested….. I can get 12+ days from my enlite sensor and up to 5 days with my infusion set. 3 days? … seems like a profit booster for medtronic. Each Enlite sensor is around $94 and each infusion set is $14…. so $108 every 3 days one top of insulin, test strips etc… this just gets more and more expensive

3. Pslab
    Pslab June 4, 2014 at 8:31 am | | Reply

It depends on the money .. If the accuracy is at 100% all three days and the price of the device is half the price of the enlite sensor .. then it is a great deal .. you change sites every three days so its all the same .. the great plus comes with my problem .. my son gets rushes under the sensor especially in the summer time when there is a lot of sweating. so not having something stuck on you for longer is really good ..
    Yet again .. lets face it .. it’s the price that matters ..
    and by the way we all know ppl use sets for 4-5 days .. so I do not see a problem they use this device for 4-5 days too …

1. Andrea
      Andrea June 4, 2014 at 2:31 pm | | Reply

On the rashes, we were having the same problem and even getting abrasions where the transmitter’s sharp edges come in contact with the skin. We started cutting a hole in an adhesive cover like IV3000, putting that on first and inserting the needle through the hole so the transmitter is not in direct contact with the skin. Really helped.

4. Denise
    Denise June 4, 2014 at 11:37 am | | Reply

Um, this is still two sites–just super duper close together. I can stick the sites close together myself if I want to. Why pay for the privelage? and this actually reduces options as far as site placement since now youhave to pick a site that is both good for your pump and for your cgm. But the clincher is having to change a sensor at 3 day—no way. NO NO NO way. Not gonna happen. If the site conks out then I have to change the sensor too? That’s when I need it the most! And you can’t wear your cgm on a pump break without poking unnecessary holes in your skin. The whole thing is just dumb, imo. We wohn’t be switching from the dex any time soon.

5. NewsFlash: New Medtronic Device Combines CGM Sensor & Insulin Infusion Site | FlipsPops

[...] (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Medtronic is leading the charge on new diabetes devices again, with a first-of-its-kind combo device launched in Europe that brings a continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) sensor and insulin infusion set together into a single device with combined insertion capability! Read full article [...]

6. Kim
    Kim June 4, 2014 at 12:47 pm | | Reply

After my experience with the Revel, I would have huge concerns about accuracy of the CGM. My experience with Dexcom has been so much better. However, I love my Medtronic pump, and would love to have something that integrates with it, but only if it were as accurate as the Dexcom.

7. StephenS
    StephenS June 4, 2014 at 1:15 pm | | Reply

I just feel like I’ll take a look at it when it gets approved in the USA. Maybe it will be a better product, more accurate, less invasive, less expensive. And maybe it won’t. I’m not sure I’ll be worrying about it until I can see it in person. But I’m glad that Medtronic is still working on delivering new things. It probably helps other companies stay focused on delivering bigger, better things for all of us.

8. June S.
    June S. June 4, 2014 at 1:34 pm | | Reply

My endocrinologist insists that all of her patients change out their infusion sets every other day. Therefore, this would be useless to me personally!

1. Allison
      Allison June 6, 2014 at 12:20 pm | | Reply

Wow, sounds like your endo needs to think that through. Totally not necessary!

9. Andrea
    Andrea June 4, 2014 at 2:27 pm | | Reply

This seems like a worse solution. Same number of holes, same sensor, same infusion set but you have to change it every three days as opposed to 6? Also, what about all the times you have to switch out a sensor or a set early because of a problem. You’d have to change them both?! Finally many wearers get weeks out of their sensors by recharging, they’d never go for this. I hope Medtronic doesn’t think it’s going to replace its Enlites with this duo product because we’d have to switch for sure, likely to a Dexcom.

1. AmyT
      AmyT June 4, 2014 at 4:39 pm | | Reply

@Andrea – that’s my personal concern, too. What if you get an occlusion error on your pump and have to change the site? There goes the CGM sensor, and vice-versa…

I love the sentiment but unless accuracy and reliability are waaaay good, this may be a very expensive option for most folks, due to a lot of waste.

10. Jeff
    Jeff June 4, 2014 at 5:51 pm | | Reply

These “articles” are too close to a copy and paste from a press release for my comfort. Why isn’t anyone asking about the accuracy of having your insulin absorbing that close to your sensor?

1. AmyT
      AmyT June 5, 2014 at 10:08 am | | Reply

@Jeff – Which “articles” did you mean? Assuming the quotes imply that they’re bogus…? Also the accuracy issue is addressed in the study data referenced. Just like everyone else, that’s all we have to go on, until folks start trying out this dual solution in the real world.

11. Jon Spence
    Jon Spence June 4, 2014 at 9:27 pm | | Reply

Yeah, like many people responding here, it seems the ONLY advantage with this is that instead of doing two insertions, you’re only have to do one. Is it so hard to press the inserter to your skin and press the button?

I suppose it’s cool in that there’s less of your body with things stuck to it, but honestly, I think most people wearing a pump are quite used to that. And the killer is replacing the CGM transmitter every three days, along with having to switch out both if one messes up.

I think I’ll pass. At first this sounded pretty cool, but after thinking about it more, nah.

12. Clare
    Clare June 5, 2014 at 6:37 am | | Reply

I currently wear an Omnipod and Dexcom sensor. I love tubeless and you can’t beat Dexcom for accuracy and sensor life. Until Medtronics improves the Enlite sensor accuracy there is no way I would give up my Dex. With any sensor the first 24 hours are a bit rocky so with this new technology you’d get at most 48 hours of decent readings before having to start all over again. Cost aside, since my insurance company covers 100% without copay, I have heard far too many horror stories about the previous Medtronic CGM and have no interest in taking up a little bit less real estate for 3 days at a time.

13. Scott E
    Scott E June 5, 2014 at 6:56 am | | Reply

The big question to me is this: DOES IT WORK.

If the sensor works, reliably, from the beginning (no “first-day warmup”), if the infusion set doesn’t fail, and if the cost to replace the whole setup isn’t prohibitive, then fine. I’m OK with it.

But I’m still reluctant, as an earlier commenter noted, that the sensor so close to the cannula could cause a problem, and that the insertion will go right each and every time. Looking at that clunky inserter (similar to the Enlite one), I’m not so sure.

I don’t worry, though, about this replacing the current product line. I think there will always be a need for angled cannulas, steel sets, and so forth, so we’ll have the option of two separate devices.

14. Mike Ratrie
    Mike Ratrie June 5, 2014 at 2:17 pm | | Reply

What if they changed the basic concept to this:

One inserter, two separate items inserted near/next to each other. That way, you could use less real estate; change the infusion set every 2-3 days, and the sensor every 6+ days. Also, you would have the option of continuing the current practice of placing infusion sets and sensors at a greater distance from each other.

15. Jill
    Jill June 5, 2014 at 2:59 pm | | Reply

My DD will not even TRY a CGM since she doesn’t want another “site” on her body. I think this would convince her to try it. For those using a CGM not – sure I don’t see an advantage – but it might get some to try a CGM that wouldn’t otherwise.

16. Amy
    Amy June 5, 2014 at 9:47 pm | | Reply

How do you get so much wear from a cgm? If I go more than a week, even with recharging I get false reads even when I check and calibrate right after, and I get infected… I use tape and tge cleaner wipes too.

17. Katie S.
    Katie S. June 6, 2014 at 7:53 am | | Reply

I love the idea of a combined site, even if it is still two separate needles. It would definitely save on “real estate” and keep from having one site on each side of my body.

I do see the drawbacks of having to change both sites if one or the other goes bad. I think Medtronic just aimed on getting this to market rather than improving the whole set. I think they did a good job using what they already have–now they just need to improve it from here. Time will tell how well it really works.

18. Pieter
    Pieter June 8, 2014 at 3:54 am | | Reply

What would the cost implications be? The sensor being the more expensive will result in a higher monthly consumables cost?

19. God
    God June 11, 2014 at 12:20 pm | | Reply

The steel cannula should prevent occlusions, so that should be an issue. While it is great they are trying to do “one site” is this really what people want? What about the economics of it all? Are they really saving me that much time and effort? Well maybe if their sensors are only lasting 5 days, but my dexcoms are lasting 2 weeks, sometimes more. I absolutely see how this would be helpful in closing the loop, but to me this is a gimmick by a company gasping for breath as they get crushed by dexcom. Medtronic should have been focusing more on revamping their core sensor (I’m sick of that damn sea shell design on their transmitter) than developing this joke.

20. J-O
    J-O June 16, 2014 at 7:58 am | | Reply

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great blog and post. A friend of mine just sent me this link: http://news.yahoo.com/progress-made-bionic-pancreas-diabetics-012237289.html

It’s somewhat related to your post as it is a fully automatic pancreas, with glucagon! Very exciting stuff, not only no more hyper, but no more hypo either… In 3 years is the goal.. Not sure how realistic that is, but it sure means that 5 years is a reasonable timeline.

Anyway, thought you (and your readers) would care! :)

I can’t wait to have that! :D