1. Jasmine
    Jasmine June 29, 2014 at 10:41 am | | Reply

Don’t forget the flipside: some of us don’t have such large insulin requirements. Except for my recent pregnancy, my insulin needs have stayed quite low since my diagnosis. I’d have to eat a meal of at least 80 grams of carbs to need 4 units.

2. Type 1D
    Type 1D June 29, 2014 at 10:57 am | | Reply

Is anyone else concerned about the downside of ultra fast acting insulin?
    With novolog, if i accidentally overdose by a few units (lets say I have a bowl of pasta that is 45g of carbs instead of 60g), I’ll recognize my low and then treat to cover. Since novolog doesn’t ‘move’ as fast, having a few glucose tabs (which normally hits my blood in about 7 minutes) will prevent me from going severely hypo. It seems like if you accidentally over-dose by a couple of untils of afrezza, the insulin is dropping your BG so fast that even if you treat with a few glucose tabs, the glucose can’t hit your blood fast enough and you’ll continue dropping too severely.

3. Erste Gedanken zu Afrezza | Susanne Pusarnig

[...] noch der ausführliche Artikel von diabetesmine , mit einem Video eines Diabetikers, der zeigt wie der Inhalator [...]

4. Brian
    Brian June 29, 2014 at 2:57 pm | | Reply

Two things are not mention here. One the lung cancer patients were know HEAVY smokers and two, I saw something were a person was given zero carbs and took Afreeza and did not have a severe low( I wish I had kept my hands on all of the information). As far as lows I would use juice in place of glocuse tabs(I mean one soda is 30 carbs by itself) and I pretty sure that would correct a low even an Afreeza low pretty quickly as a matter of fact I do not carry tablets for my daughter I carry juice or skittles. The comparison to Exubera is unfounded it is an apples to oranges comparison. Exubera inhaler was impractical(huge) and it was just as slow to act as the current insulin on the market. The conversion process was always difficult. So these three things are what doomed Exubera. Afreeza is a game changer period.

5. NewsFlash: Inhaled Insulin Afrezza Gets FDA Approval | WasOut

[...] The third time’s the charm for this new formulation of inhalable insulin, the second-ever to make it through the U.S. regulatory process after Pfizer’s failed Exubera the better part of a decade ago.On Friday, the California biotech company MannKind Corp. finally obtained regulatory clearance for its Afrezza device. Twice before, regulators turned down Afrezza asking for more clinical study data to appease concerns about safety and effectiveness. Read full article [...]

6. Joe
    Joe June 30, 2014 at 4:29 am | | Reply

Thank you, no. I’ll just keep to my Insulin pens.

7. David
    David June 30, 2014 at 11:07 am | | Reply

Seems like magic that a 4u Afrezza dose won’t cause a low for a meal that I normally take 1-3u of injected insulin. It will be interesting to see how the PR campaign explains this. Funny though because it means if I eat a new meal with an uncertain carb count and take Afrezza, I won’t learn what the exact carb count was like I could with injected insulin.

8. Brian
    Brian June 30, 2014 at 11:17 am | | Reply

A Good article on Afrezza – http://seekingalpha.com/article/2293035-mannkind-what-the-afrezza-label-really-says

9. steve
    steve June 30, 2014 at 12:17 pm | | Reply

This is great news. Who among us would rather take multiple injections over a few “tokes” of a faster acting insulin. IMHO this stuff will sell like hotcakes. Count me in. If it doesn’t work for me, I’ll go back to my pen… Not likely!

10. Julia
    Julia June 30, 2014 at 6:54 pm | | Reply

I’m thrilled Afrezza has been approved. In and out of the system in an hour… this is a game changer! We give no more than 9 units for meals usually, though, and that’s maximum and only one or two units for correction so I’m bummed if our DD uses this, it cannot be for snacks or corrections just the larger lunch and dinner meals. Particularly bummed I could never use this for corrections as 4 units is way too much. She’ll be 18 soon, so, hopefully, she will be able to try, though I would wait and not be the first to try. Watch and wait for a bit. Very relieved Afrezza made it past the FDA.

11. Laurie Dyer
    Laurie Dyer July 1, 2014 at 5:35 am | | Reply

I’d let my daughter give it a try if I could get my hands on a sample, and even if it works as advertised, wait and see for a good number of months after the sample. I do worry about the affect it could have on the lungs, but I love the idea of the super rapid onset and leaving the system much sooner. I’m tired of the EXTREMELY long tail of Humalog.

12. Kim
    Kim July 1, 2014 at 6:39 am | | Reply

I was not able to watch all of the videos, and my question was not addressed in those I saw: Is the full 4 unit cartridge used for each dose, or is it possible to use a partial cartridge? 4 units sounds like an awful lot for one meal for some Type 1s, myself included. Like the above poster, I would have to eat at least 80 grams of carbs, and in some situations just over 100 grams if I were to use 4 units.

13. Carol
    Carol July 1, 2014 at 3:41 pm | | Reply

Seems that the best use for this would be for corrections, or to cover a meal of fast acting carbs (or in combination with a longer lasting insulin for slower digesting meals). But like several others have mentioned, the 4 unit minimum dose is a deal breaker for some of us who are relatively insulin sensitive. Too bad since that will eliminate part of their market. I wonder why 4 units was chosen as the minimum?

14. Dennis
    Dennis July 2, 2014 at 2:23 pm | | Reply

The insulin is so quick acting it doesn’t seem like it would do well in matching your digestive rate. If it takes you 3 hours to digest a meal into the blood stream it seems this would make you go really low after the meal and then as it leaves your system and your meal continues to digest you would shoot up high.

I’m sure there is a way to avoid that or its only value would be to offset a stubborn high.

Anyone know how this stuff would work to avoid the lows I described above?

1. FatCatAnna
      FatCatAnna July 4, 2014 at 1:03 pm | | Reply

I agree on that one Dennis. With either my pump or MDI (multiple dose injections) – I have more control over my BG balance.

15. FatCatAnna
    FatCatAnna July 4, 2014 at 12:57 pm | | Reply

Am slightly bummed out that this only doses 4 units at a time. In my later years of T1D (I’ve had it since ’67) – I use very little insulin compared to what I used when I was younger. If I dosed 4 units for a meal – I’d go into hypo fairy land. I had thought I could use this for BG corrections – but again – with MDI (multiple dose injections and/or pump) – I can be more precise with my control. This is probably much better suited to diabetics who are insulin resistant or Type 2 – but being VERY closely monitored by medical team.

16. MArvin Webster
    MArvin Webster July 6, 2014 at 12:12 pm | | Reply

I have such a fear of needles that I have rejected injections and in the process developed severe neuropathy as well as vision loss for failure to control my blood sugar. This news is very exciting for me and I will accept whatever risk comes with it. The risk of not controlling my blood sugar level is greater. My biggest disappointment is that it will take so long to reach the marketplace.

17. MannKind Wins Backing of US Advisory Panel for Inhaled InsulinBig Online News | Big Online News

[...] Corp. (MNKD) Approved for Inhaled Insulin TreatmentNewsFlash: MannKind's Inhaled Insulin Afrezza Gets FDA ApprovalMannKind Corporation (MNKD), Novo Nordisk A/S (ADR) (NVO), Eli Lilly & Co. (LLY): Dreamboat [...]