1. tmana
    tmana May 8, 2014 at 4:51 am | | Reply

Right now, Livestrong’s “My Plate D” will map glucose against carbs — but that’s not nearly the whole story. For those on insulin, insulin dosage and dosing need to be included. I recall someone (I think Ginger Viera) saying that her boluses were more accurate if she also included 1/4 of the protein she consumed; many PWD have written of needing a second wave or square bolus to counteract the fat in pizza. From this, I believe that ALL macronutrients need to be mapped along with glucose and insulin consumption — not just carbs.

For those of us also battling hypertension, there’s the need to track blood pressure on the same graph — along with sodium and potassium consumption.

For those who exercise, calorie consumption, along with distance and heartrate (for cardio) should be tracked alongside to determine proper fueling (and/or insulin dosing).

The “meals and snacks” formula used by most logging sites needs to be replaced with “time, consumption, and activity” feeds instead. This would take into account shift work, early or delayed meals, uneven sleep cycles, and so on. (I complained about that here.)

Oh, yes: and we shouldn’t have to spend any extra time doing this. Use ANT+ to connect existing exercise devices and NFC for mobile devices to automatically sync this all to our smartphones.

2. Joe
    Joe May 8, 2014 at 5:04 am | | Reply

Forget MacOS compatibility, a lot of Meter manufacturers just started using USB. A few years ago I was told flat out by Lifescan that they never plan on developing of the MacOS.

The only thing that seems to be me MacOS or iPhone OS compatible is the Glooko app on the iPhone.

3. steve
    steve May 8, 2014 at 8:58 am | | Reply

Check your blood sugar and adjust your insulin doses. Trying to derive dosages from inaccurate, incomplete historical data is an exercise in futility. The only reason companies have to develop this crap is to get paid.

4. StephenS
    StephenS May 8, 2014 at 9:08 am | | Reply

Great post Amy… thank you.

I’ve said it before: Patient outcomes should never be trumped by corporate profits. I’m all in favor of manufacturers doing what’s in their best interests, until those interests hinder better care or better outcomes for PWDs.

5. Doug
    Doug May 8, 2014 at 1:05 pm | | Reply

in contrary steves comment – I would love to be able to see my BG data overlayed on my Pump data
    That way I could see the WHYs of the BG and be able to make adjustments. Making adjustments by just looking at BG is working with one eye closed. High BG with no insulin on board and NO previous correction is MUCH worse than high BG that is simply taken too soon after meal bolus…

I also am disappointed in the analysis built in, Im wondering if the companies dont want to be seen as doing the work of the drs that prescribe the devices and therefor potentailly decreasing revenue of Drs

6. Doug
    Doug May 8, 2014 at 1:11 pm | | Reply

BTW the statement that “And if you happen to use a Mac — which btw is set to outpace use of PCs this year ” is more than a little misleading – It includes all mac and all iOS devices, Macs, Ipads, and iphones. It wouldnt be bad to be able to dload to a phone but thats not what we are talking about here

PCs still outsell 18 to 1 to macs.

7. Lis
    Lis May 9, 2014 at 1:12 am | | Reply

Excellent description of the frustrations caused by having kit that doesn’t work together. As a MAC user, I had to get a new laptop to run the Dexcom Studio! In the UK, there are just 2 suppliers of Dexcom sensors, one far cheaper than the other (we all have to self-fund as the National Health Service body [NICE] that decides what public funds can be used for has not yet evaluated CGM…). The cheaper option, Animas, has just decided it can only supply sensors to those using its own Vibe pump (which is made to work with the Dexcom), thus possibly depriving many T1s of CGM if they can’t afford the higher price of the other supplier and they don’t use an Animas pump. The uptake of CGM in the UK is rising fast and I hear Animas could not cope with tech support issues, but if devices worked together…….. I urge all T1s to complete a short survey of D tech for academics/doctors at Imperial College. Let them know what we want and what frustrates us so that they can take practical steps to address the barriers! http://imperial.crf.nihr.ac.uk/ppi/think-developments-diabetes-technology/

8. Neesha
    Neesha May 9, 2014 at 11:13 am | | Reply

Amy, nice post and nice picture of the mess of cables! I wholeheartedly agree that everything needs to start working together instead of being so fragmented. Thanks to all of those who are spearheading the efforts!

9. steve
    steve May 9, 2014 at 11:22 am | | Reply

In response to Doug… Taking insulin on board into account is inherent in the process. With or without a pump. You make my point. Do you think overlaying data is all inclusive considering the variables of day to day life? I wish it were that simple. I think we all want a better, simple plug and play solution. There isn’t one. When you introduce time lagging inaccurate CGMs into the mix you are really begging for a train wreck. These (pumps and CGMs) are “treatment”, i.e. moneymaker, devices. Come on! The CGM is calibrated by your glucose meter. The glucose meter is not accurate either. The pump uses a fast acting insulin that can linger for 4 hours! A constant drip basal using fast acting insulin makes no sense… Hey! I vented, and now I feel better… or am I low? LoL. Have a great weekend everyone.

10. Matthias
    Matthias May 15, 2014 at 11:34 am | | Reply

The Tandem t:slim pump’s software supports a half-dozen glucometers on a Mac and takes essentially zero effort to do a data upload to a decent webapp. Exporting data is easy. My only complaint is that they don’t yet have any CGM support, although the rumor is that it is coming sometime around the end of the year/early next year.

11. DSMA Blog Carnival – May / June Round-Up – Diabetes Community Advocacy Foundation

[...] discusses the reasons she rarely downloads her devices and what needs to change to allow her to make better use of her [...]