1. Harold Persails
    Harold Persails May 5, 2014 at 6:15 am | | Reply

I’m ready for one right now. Please keep me updated when they are available for individuals. Sure would be more accurate than what I’m using now.

2. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter May 5, 2014 at 8:04 am | | Reply

On your sidebar, I noticed that Glucovation is devising a CGM for the general public, that would supposedly be available at a reasonable cost. Could you tell us more about this? This product, if it were indeed accurate, might go a long way to further understanding what diabetes is and isn’t. Seeing how ‘normal’ blood glucose varies with food and exercise might change perceptions. Some of the stereotypes and myths might disappear. Diabetics might begin to be perceived simply as people who manage their blood sugar despite a malfunctioning pancreas.

3. Terry Keelan
    Terry Keelan May 5, 2014 at 8:56 am | | Reply

Any photos or rendering of what the implanted sensor would look like?

4. mcityrk
    mcityrk May 5, 2014 at 9:52 am | | Reply

Long-term implantable sensor – theoretically desirable – technologically feasible [???]. Been there, done that [sort of] a decade ago [tick, tick, tick].

The biggest question of course is the excessive development times required to validate lifetime claims [assuming everything else works perfectly] and the number of times you have to go back and start at time zero to validate even the smallest of design changes. Thus, the qualification time of a long-term relative to a shorter-term CGM blows up exponentially and become prohibitively expensive in a world where time = money.

5. Cristle Bray
    Cristle Bray May 5, 2014 at 12:28 pm | | Reply

This is wonderful news! I’m 57 with T1DM since I was 22. I look forward to updates.

6. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell May 5, 2014 at 7:50 pm | | Reply

This sounds like a great idea. I’d wonder about issues with Xray and MRI interference as well as travel-related issues with an implanted device. I assume a lot of these have already been worked out with other implantable technologies mentioned in the article.

On the other hand I won’t hold my breath. Dexcom has been making huge progress with its CGM technology. By the time an implantable device is available for use, we may be on the 8th generation (guessing) of Dexcom’s technology which might obsolete many of the reasons for an implanted device.

I would beg the folks working on an implanted CGM to make public the data formats, use standard technology for reading the values, and publish the APIs so others could tap into this useful additional data stream.

7. DiabetesMine – GlySens (Still) Developing Implantable CGM (See Also: ICGM)

[...] The small 16-year-old startup is developing an implantable CGM dubbed ICGM, which in its second incarnation uses a sensor that looks like a fat thumb drive with a quarter-sized circle in the middle. Read more [...]

8. Toby
    Toby May 6, 2014 at 6:05 pm | | Reply

I wonder about the cost of the surgery to implant such a device. The real cost will be in the surgery. I would want them to improve the battery system to get 2 or more years and increase the cost over having a surgery done every year.

9. John
    John May 7, 2014 at 7:54 am | | Reply

Its not necessarily the battery that goes bad.. I think the sensor actually becomes exhausted… as in uses up or the chemistry degrades over time.. If im reading correctly this might be able to be done as an in-office procedure or in the surgeons office, as an outpatient, not the ER..

The controller could use a facelift and be made more user friendly however.. larger tactile buttons and.. it looks like a monochrome screen.. WTF

10. David
    David May 8, 2014 at 5:02 pm | | Reply

By the time such a system were approved and ready for prime time, I imagine it would use a smartphone to display readings (which Dexcom will have been doing for years by then).

11. Julie
    Julie May 9, 2014 at 5:50 am | | Reply

I’m very excited about the implantable CGM, however why are they using a bulky receiver? Just wish that they would consider a waterproof wrist watch or a smartphone.