1. Gretchen
    Gretchen May 21, 2014 at 6:11 am | | Reply

How about people who live in the boonies without Internet access? And not everyone owns a smartphone. It would be nice if technology could work for them too, as well as for people traveling, so an optional receiver would be a plus.

2. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter May 21, 2014 at 6:51 am | | Reply

This is marvelous on so many levels: affordability, access and acceptance. Currently, it is difficult for T1s to prove to their insurance companies that they deserve a CGM and the device is still very expensive. But most importantly, this device will change how diabetes is viewed by the rest of the world. Seeing how normal, healthy people’s blood sugar fluctuates will put our numbers in perspective. More people will know what their blood sugars do, resulting in more people knowing whether their pancreas is functioning. And we’ll lose the stigma of testing and the ostrich syndrome: the belief that one is “healthier” because one doesn’t test.

Thank you for writing this and letting us know about this wonderful development. I look forward to hearing more.

3. Chris
    Chris May 21, 2014 at 10:27 am | | Reply

“But unlike current CGM sensors, the SugarSenz sensor is disposable.” Do you mean the transmitter is disposable? I think all current sensors are disposable.

I think the insight on sensor insertion is great, and hopefully will carry over to our medical devices.

I am very curious how many people they think are willing to puncture their skin every week for info on their glucose levels (and pay ~$20+ and $150 start-up for the privilege). Wearing a fitbit on your belt is one thing, this is a pretty major escalation, and for data for which 99% of consumers have little to no awareness/understanding.

4. mcityrk
    mcityrk May 21, 2014 at 11:30 am | | Reply

Seems like by going in non-diabetics where no necessary medical info is provided, that they are merely working out the kinks in the technology without having to deal with the FDA.

5. N
    N May 21, 2014 at 4:31 pm | | Reply

$20 per week x 52 = $1040 plus tax out of pocket per year. Plus how ever often you have to buy the $150 transceiver. I can get the G4, imperfect as it is, for no out-of-pocket costs.

1. Mary Dexter
      Mary Dexter May 21, 2014 at 5:40 pm | | Reply

You may be able to, but not everybody can. Not everybody’s insurance will pay for it completely. Some people’s insurance companies keep denying coverage. You have to prove you would otherwise be dead, if you are T1. Medicare instead of private insurance??? T2??? For $48/month my husband is able to sleep at night knowing he probably won’t wake up next to a corpse. Not everyone is so lucky.

6. David
    David May 21, 2014 at 6:00 pm | | Reply

I like Glucovation’s goal to produce a system outside the FDA review process. This reduces the cost significantly and it may well be affordable enough despite no insurance coverage. I don’t need FDA approval. Give me a trial of this system and I will quickly know if it is worth buying.

7. Jeff
    Jeff May 22, 2014 at 9:12 am | | Reply

I bet it doesn’t take long before this becomes a diabetes tech hacker’s go-to device, especially if it actually is inexpensive and open. I love the possibilities.

8. Steve Szyszkiewicz