1. Joe
    Joe April 21, 2014 at 4:29 am | | Reply

I had a problem with the transmitter, the receiver kept saying that it was out of range, even though the device was next to me. Thankfully my transmitter was in warranty and they sent me out a new one promptly. However I found out that the warranty on this new transmitter is not a full six months, which did not make sense to me.

2. Marcus
    Marcus April 21, 2014 at 5:14 am | | Reply

My first low battery warning came on a Sunday evening (after 14 months, so there is that). I called Dexcom Monday morning, but since “the person handling transmitters” was not (yet) in, I was promised a call back that never happened. Wednesday morning I called again (this time no special transmitter person was required), and I foolishly agreed to standard shipping. Next day, 96 hours after the first warning, the transmitter stopped working. I had to wait until Monday after work and flying mostly blind for the first time in over a year was not something that I enjoyed. On the bright(?) side I did not have any extra insurance delays.

3. droberts0503
    droberts0503 April 21, 2014 at 6:01 am | | Reply

I’ve all but given up in the G4. I was super excited when I got I but sensor failures, awful customer service, very short sensor expiration dates and issues getting a new receiver, plus general accuracy and usability issues, really made me kind of hate the system and Dexcom as a company.

1. Doug
      Doug April 21, 2014 at 7:58 am | | Reply

droberts0503 – Before giving up on the Dex – have a call or meeting with a sales rep and make sure you are using it correctly.

Ive been using CGMS systems for a long time and the new Dex is really very accurate, and the expiration dates are typically more than 6 months out. If you are getting shorter expiration dates then get a new DME vendor because your sensors have been on the shelf for a while. Ive had few reasons to call Cust support and when I did I was relatively happy with the support.

I havent had a sensor failure in I cant remember when, if I dont take tylenol or tear the thing off my arm I really have relatively few issues with them ….

Check with your local Rep or a experienced CDE and see if they can help you get better results ….

4. Faith
    Faith April 21, 2014 at 7:23 am | | Reply

I`ve only had mine 2 months, but am already thinking about this. We are going to have a gap in our insurance coming up soon so maybe it’s time to order!

5. Donna schindler
    Donna schindler April 21, 2014 at 7:51 am | | Reply

I always makes sure we have backups of everything we need for care. Its is important to have a backup or replacement for something that you depend on.

6. Kyle Morgan
    Kyle Morgan April 21, 2014 at 8:20 am | | Reply

The title of this article on Twitter was a bit misleading – I was worried there was a drastic recall or something going on. So my first read of the post had me angry because I had my fears raised about the diabetes device I rely on most (pump aside, I suppose). However, I did take a step back and breath before ranting – it sucks when things don’t last as they should, but when’s the last time your cell phone held a charge for as long as promised. ;)

Basically, plan ahead for the inevitable. I mean, I stock lots of test strips, a spare blood meter, 3 months supply of pump supplies, and backup plans for if a pump fails, so this is just another thing to consider. We take for granted how well it works since we ignore the transmitter until it fails. We really should have a backup planned for it.

On my own experience, I’ve gotten 13 months out of my first transmitter – started November 2012, failed December 2013. When I saw the battery warning I immediately replaced it – it was out of pocket for me, I spent two days trying to argue coverage (different med plan) and decided the extra delay wasn’t worth the risk of not having CGMS (it wasn’t, coverage was not provided). I am hypo unaware, so I treat this as an added “necessary” cost for me. I figured if my transmitter had lasted >6 months then I should expect the battery life would be >1 week when I did get the message. I was on day 4 when I got sick of the alarm and just switched transmitters.

So I guess add me to the list of people who did not have an immediate battery warning/failure. I’ve had great interactions with Dexcom; be it replacing sensors, broken transmitters (that damn USB tab), or even correspondence about roll-out to Canada. Hopefully the whole insurance company mixups get sorted. To me it’s still the best thing to happen to my A1C and my ability to sleep at night! :)

7. Beth
    Beth April 21, 2014 at 8:37 am | | Reply

I also had trouble with my transmitter replacement, but my problems were mostly with paperwork.

I got the low battery warning one week past my anniversary date (Oct 2012-Nov 2013), so in order to get a new transmitter, I had to get a new prescription and authorization. The paperwork took a while to get completed, due to problems with both Dexcom and also having them ship off the paperwork to a supplier promising it would be faster. I the end the supplier sat on it a while, and didn’t have cheap expedited shipping like Dexcom offers, so I ended up waiting almost 2 weeks to get the transmitter. They did go ahead and get approval for a whole new system, so I also got a new receiver (which I didn’t use until I needed it a few months later when my previous receiver kicked the bucket).

Thankfully, my transmitter lasted almost a month after the first low battery warning before finally crapping out, so I did not have to go without a CGM. Had I been smarter/more on top of things, I would’ve ordered the replacement transmitter a month before the rx expiration date.

8. Elizabeth
    Elizabeth April 21, 2014 at 3:19 pm | | Reply

Does anybody know if the transmitter battery starts losing power only while it’s being used, or if it has to do with the general age of the transmitter? I’m wondering if we order new transmitters and then don’t need them for another few months, whether the new transmitter will have a shorter lifespan even though it’s not being used. (I’d assume it’s out of warranty 6 months after it’s shipped.) If battery life is associated with transmitter age, ordering too far ahead could be a complete waste of money.

9. Shanan
    Shanan April 21, 2014 at 4:23 pm | | Reply

Not everyone was made aware of the 6 month warranty or the pre-approval for a second transmitter with the G4, as this is the first that I have heard of this, and I have had a Dexcom (two 7′s, then a G4) for nearly 3 years now! Why is there not more consistency in relaying this important piece of information??

1. Robin
      Robin April 22, 2014 at 6:54 am | | Reply

I didn’t remember anything about the 6-month issue, but in searching my email I found a reminder that came in when I’d had my transmitter for 5 months. I can’t believe I didn’t notice that email at the time, but I do get a lot of junk in my inbox, so…

10. Scott Powell
    Scott Powell April 21, 2014 at 6:50 pm | | Reply

My first transmitter died at about 11 months, so I was pretty happy with how long it lasted. But I started getting the low battery warning on a Sunday, and by Monday night it was dead. Because there apparently hadn’t been any sort of “insurance preapproval”, it took over a week and a half to get the replacement.Also, have to say, I am a converted Navigator user…and the Dexcom isn’t even in the ballpark as far as accuracy goes. I’d give anything to get the Navigator back.

Scott

11. Rebecca
    Rebecca April 21, 2014 at 7:10 pm | | Reply

I also experienced a very short period of time between the low battery warning and total transmitter failure (I wore the sensor for 3 days with the receiver right next to me and it could not get signal.) I would say that the warning came about 2 days before the transmitter stopped transmitting data. It took nearly a week to get a new one to me. It never occurred to me that there should have been longer between the warning and the failure and that transmitter did last me about 13 months so I never reported the short time to Dexcom… I wonder how many others just assumed the system worked properly even though it was not effective?

12. Robin
    Robin April 22, 2014 at 6:57 am | | Reply

Thanks for highlighting this issue. I just realized I’ve had my G4 for exactly a year now, and though the transmitter is still working, I made the call today to get a new one. I hope it goes through smoothly. I get my Dex supplies from Foundation Care (insurance company requirement) and they’ve done a great job for the last two years.

13. Kathy
    Kathy April 22, 2014 at 7:10 pm | | Reply

I got my first G4 transmitter Nov. 2012 and it lasted until Dec. 2013. I never experienced any kind of warning what ever. One day it was working, the next day it was not. I called Dexcom to order a new transmitter and had to wait over a week for delivery. I paid out of pocket for my Dexcom G4 since my insurance (Medicare) and my secondary insurance will not even consider covering it. At times I am definitely NOT impressed with Dexcom’s customer service. I will be thinking long and hard when it comes time to replace my current transmitter.

14. Sarah Howard
    Sarah Howard April 25, 2014 at 4:07 am | | Reply

My son’s transmitter just died and it took a couple weeks to replace it. Very frustrating. Mostly due to Edgepark and my doctor’s office not coordinating what they needed. We ended up having to use another company to get the approval from insurance. Why should a battery dying require a multiple-week wait for a new gadget? Makes no sense.

15. Myra
    Myra April 25, 2014 at 4:41 am | | Reply

I pay out of pocket for my CGMS and never got a warning at all. Now my replacement is getting wonky less than 6 months. I am pretty freaked out and not looking forward to finding the $$$ for a new transmitter. OUch.

16. Swede
    Swede May 9, 2014 at 7:26 am | | Reply

I have had a G7 and now a G-4 system. My transmitter on my G4 is now 13 months old. I get a low battery message at least once a day. This has been going on for a couple weeks. I do have a replacement transmitter and when the present one dies I will replace it.

I have called Dexcom’s customer service many times and have had great experiences with them. Dexcom has at least 20 of their employees with type 1, some in customer service. I have been in their plant in San Diego and toured the sensor manufacturing facility. So all said, I am a real fan of Dexcom. I have learned some much about how my body reacts to various foods, exercise and European travel. Best of all it has allowed me to lower my A1c to 7.1. I look forward to Dexcom’s next generation system which I understand is being used in Europe.

17. Laurie Dyer
    Laurie Dyer May 20, 2014 at 3:33 pm | | Reply

My daughter is still using her original G4 transmitter after eleven months. After using it for the first six months we ordered the second one and here it sits patiently waiting for the original to die. I’ve had zero problems with Dexcom customer service. They replace sensors that don’t last 7 days, even when it’s “kinda sorta” user error…and she gets 14 days out of most of them. We’re pretty satisfied so far.

18. Barbara
    Barbara May 25, 2014 at 11:03 am | | Reply

I am kinda surprised at the whining here.
    Complaining about how long it takes to get a new transmitter–clearly this is due to the convoluted insurance system that people in the USA have. Nothing to do with Dexcom.

Just phone them and buy one, you will have it the next day. Do they charge you for all the submitting of paperwork and such? No. So be grateful that you have all that done for you. I pay for these myself.

19. aunt_cheri
    aunt_cheri June 4, 2014 at 9:26 pm | | Reply

Does anyone know Dexcom’s website for ordering the G4 transmitter?
    Cannot find these sold on their store website. But an email said the transmitters are $599!
    Good luck to all those who, like me, are unaware of low sugar. I hear that can happen to many diabetics after so many years of low reactions.

20. David
    David July 13, 2014 at 7:33 pm | | Reply

The G4 is AWESOME! That being said the shorter life of the transmitter is discouraging.. The first one I had lasted over a year. The second one… six months with only a two day period between first warning and no battery.
    Regarding two pre-approvals up front, that doesn’t sound right. That’s the first I have heard of it. Doubt there are many payers that would be pre-approve a purchase a year in advance.

21. T.Vazquez
    T.Vazquez July 19, 2014 at 1:34 am | | Reply

I am satisfied with the Dexcom G4. My doctors recomended it for use during my pregnancy last year. I am type 1 and did experience frequent severe hypoglycemic episodes that required several home visits from EMS and hospital visits. Thanks to the dexcom I have not been hospitalized in two years. My pregnancy went great. I am know pregnant again and still using my G4. My only issue is the frequent failed sensors. Thankfully customer service replaces them in a timely fashion. I would recommend Dexcom to any Diabetic versus the bulky and painful medtronic sensors. On occasion the receiver will say out range even when it is right next to me.Also The insurance process and reording does take some time. However, if you have a good medical team that stays on top of insurance requests then you will be fine. Its time consuming and tedious at times but its your health.

22. ChrissiSebbe
    ChrissiSebbe July 22, 2014 at 12:08 am | | Reply

Hi all. Sorry you have been experiencing problems with the transmitter.

What i can’t believe, is that Dexcom dares to sell new transmitters to
    people just because the battery is dead. how about making the
    batteries replaceable? Oh no, then you couldn’t make so much damn
    money from diabetics who want nothing more than to control their blood
    sugar effectively (and affordably)

23. Kevin Howard
    Kevin Howard July 24, 2014 at 5:39 pm | | Reply

I really like having a CGM, but my transmitter also died suddenly and I had to order a new one. It cost $714, all but $70 of which was out of pocket due to not yet meeting deductibles for the year. Though I truly appreciate the research and engineering that must have gone into making a CGM, the cost for the transmitter seems extreme, doesn’t it?