1. Joe
    Joe April 3, 2014 at 4:29 am | | Reply

It would be nice if my DEXCOM communicated with my iPhone so I wouldn’t have to carry around an extra device.

1. Jaron
      Jaron April 3, 2014 at 1:11 pm | | Reply

Dexcom is working on this right now, and are just waiting for FDA approval (April 3, 2014). The device (Dexcom SHARE Cradle) is a docking station that connects to the internet and sends results messages to programmable e-mail addresses. Funilly enough, the device even shows up in the FAQ section of their website (http://dexcom.com/faq/cradle-troubleshooting), but it’s a blank page.

I asked a salesperson over the phone, and he confirmed that they are just waiting for FDA approval. Also, he said that they were hoping to receive approval within the next couple of weeks, but that we all just have to “hurry up and wait” since the approval could still take another 6 months, in theory. He also stated that when it is cleared, they will send out an e-mail (and more) marketing campaign to announce the release and prices. He also said that at least for now, the sales will likely all just be handled online, but I don’t know what that could mean for health insurance coverages…

1. LZ
        LZ April 4, 2014 at 8:40 pm | | Reply

Im assuming by their plummeting share price since the 3rd April; Dexcom didn’t get FDA approval for the G5

2. Jaron
      Jaron April 3, 2014 at 1:14 pm | | Reply

Sorry, I misread your comment a little. What I mentioned would still require a separate device (the receiver), and for now not communicate directly with a smart device. Possibly this could some day be something that would work hand-in-hand with the Animas Vibe?

2. Puddin
    Puddin April 3, 2014 at 6:06 am | | Reply

Can you add a LInked In share button? This article needs to go to the JDRF local chapter page on Linked In?! Pretty Please!

3. Judi
    Judi April 3, 2014 at 8:39 am | | Reply

Like Joe, I’m also really hoping that Dex will come out with a link to an iPhone so that there is no need to carry a receiver and we can read our Dex data on the iPhone.

4. StephenS
    StephenS April 4, 2014 at 10:04 am | | Reply

Like others, I think direct-to-smartphone data delivery would be fantastic. But that also involves making sure a device would be secure, reliable (since it would now be a CGM receiver too), and tested thoroughly. On top of the medical concerns that come with a new product launch. My guess is that’s where companies get cold feet when it comes to smartphone technology. The extra steps in getting their proprietary devices to market.

Glad to see so many companies out there working on better devices though! Whatever happens, the future looks bright for D-technology.

5. Kev Winchcombe @oceantragic
    Kev Winchcombe @oceantragic April 4, 2014 at 11:41 pm | | Reply

I got to have a look at the Accu-chek Insight pump at an event last month, here’s my blog about it for those who are interested: http://circles-of-blue.winchcombe.org/index.php/2014/03/18/first-look-accu-chek-aviva-insight-pump/

6. Scott Powell
    Scott Powell May 1, 2014 at 6:07 pm | | Reply

I’m a bit distressed at the “priorities” of Dexcom. In my opinion (yes it’s completely my own), why would you even plan to waste any time connecting to a smartphone. The G4 receiver is so small you can put it just about anywhere – is it REALLY that much of a hassle to people?
    On the other hand, (finally) getting accuracy out of Dexcom that rivals what Navigator was doing years ago is a complete game changer. Finally getting back to a CGM accurate enough to dose off of with finger sticking first is huge. And the possibility to eliminate finger sticks at all would be incredible. That to me would be MUCH more important than smart phone connectivity. My big question would be – has Dexcom actually done ANY experimentation to show this level of accuracy is possible? Or is this complete marketing?

Thanks,
    Scott

7. Marlene Nicholson
    Marlene Nicholson July 7, 2014 at 4:36 pm | | Reply

First on my list of wants is the combined DEX/Animas receiver. I want to have access to information from the cgm and the pump (actually any pump would do) together, both contemporaneously with my dosing decisions, and in the data I download periodically for analysis.

When my Medtronic pump died I bought the Animas because of their promise to combine with the DEX. I am still waiting. For analysis I have been cutting and pasting together printouts from both devices. It is too much work to do this continually, but I do a few weeks before my doc’s appointments. Seeing the data that way is very helpful–but it should be done automatically.