1. Sarah
    Sarah April 29, 2014 at 6:34 am | | Reply

I guess I’m a weird chick… I’d rather have the needle of an Epi-pen device than having something put in my nose. I can’t even stand nasal allergy meds that way.

Thank you for covering this, though. I love that there are so many things in the works to help us live and help those around us take care of us easier.

2. StephenS
    StephenS April 29, 2014 at 6:41 am | | Reply

Mike… thanks for participating in this important study! I’m very interested in finding out how non-HCPs would handle something like this in an emergency. My guess is it would be a lot easier for them than injections.

Thanks for giving us a thorough rundown of your trial and the product.

3. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell April 29, 2014 at 6:45 am | | Reply

Thanks for this info Mike. Sounds like another great addition to our Glucagon arsenal….once the others become available. Personally I’d love to see the GlucaPen get on the market soon.

I looked at the T1D Exchange site. There doesn’t appear to be a way to register and there’s no way to search that I can see. So how do you use that site?

4. Scott E
    Scott E April 29, 2014 at 5:05 pm | | Reply

This sounds promising! Present-day glucagon is intimidating, especially for those who don’t ordinarily give shots (read: most people) so this may help alleviate some of the stress of a low. I just hope people don’t overuse it when a regular glucose tablet or two will do the job.

5. DiabetesMine – Puffing Glucagon Up Your Nose

[...] There’s a lot of novel work happening in the diabetes research world on new types of glucagon, from Epi-Pen delivery devices to work on stable forms that could be used in infusion pumps along with insulin Read more [...]

6. Lynn
    Lynn April 30, 2014 at 7:39 am | | Reply

Very well written thorough objective explanation of the powder glucagon trial!

7. Bennet
    Bennet April 30, 2014 at 11:13 am | | Reply

Outstanding report Mike!

This is a fantastic idea and the potential for reducing school 504 plan stress is amazing.

8. Robin
    Robin May 1, 2014 at 9:16 pm | | Reply

Cool beans! This sounds so much easier than classic glucagon. My husband could definitely handle this easily in an emergency – almost anyone could. What a relief this would be for many people.

9. Susan Whittier
    Susan Whittier May 3, 2014 at 11:02 am | | Reply

Thanks Mike!

The only time I’ve ever been given / note given / glucagon[2-3 times in my 61 yr history of diabetes] is when the BG is in the 20-30′s – before that I’m still aware / have something orally… and because I live in a small town now, the paramedics know I hate glucagon [side effects] so try the IV with 50% glucose first – last time I was shut down so got the glucagon – my shoulder is still sore! This nasal ‘spray’ would be a lot easier / and any neighbour could use it – in my case the neighbours are all seniors. This would be a good addition to those emergency defibrillator kits we now see in public places – easy to use in the right circumstance. Thanks for the update.

10. Kirsty
    Kirsty May 31, 2014 at 11:48 am | | Reply

I would be greatly interested in this nasal glucagon. My husband is T1 PWD and had a hypoglycemic low that set him into a seizure. I was very unprepared for this horrifying emergency but thankfully we were all home together (us and our 2 kids) our son who’s 11 helped me greatly by doing everything i asked him to do like calling 911 in a quick calm manner. I had to think of some kind of sugar (we didnt at the time have glucagon) so i ran to the fridge and got cookie icing and rubbed it on his gums. It was a horrible mess of green sticky sugar and blood (he was biting his tongue in his seizure) and spit all over our bed. I was told afterward i should never put my finger in his mouth because i could have lost my finger. Guess what i do not care. Id live a perfectly normal life with one less finger rather him not have the tip of his tongue. So needless to say i would be pro-nasal injection and id have two in every corner of my house, so id never have to relive that day. But our son and i saved his life that day. Note: Ive only been around T1D for 4 years.