1. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter April 10, 2014 at 9:01 am | | Reply

With doses only in units of 3, I’d either eat too much or be correcting after each meal with glucose tablets or an injection. I suppose for people who eat the same thing every day it would be fine.

2. Robert Sacher
    Robert Sacher April 10, 2014 at 1:50 pm | | Reply

To Mary Dexter,

Afrezza mimics a human pancreas more closely than the older injectable insulin you have likely been using. The technology is new. Needle based insulin has not changed in more than thirty years.

You will probably be using less insulin because Afrezza has a faster peak and much faster tail so the lower doses may work well for you.

This was an issue that the FDA reviewers had some difficulty in understanding but the endocrinologists on the independent panel convened by the FDA decided that there is great value in Afrezza’s new profile.

In any event, you’ll want to discuss this with your doctor if you want to use Afrezza if it is approved in July.

Best wishes,
    Robert Sacher

3. steve
    steve April 11, 2014 at 11:30 am | | Reply

Any advancement involving insulin therapy is welcome! This is long overdue. I’ve been waging my personal war against Type 1 diabetes for 31 years. Just this morning I had a severe low blood sugar 4 hours after my morning injection of Novolog. I started the day at 95 mg/dl. Two hours later I was at 86. I ate around 30 g of uncovered carbohydrates and an hour later my BS was a frightening 32.
    If I had taken an insulin that tailed off more quickly, this low wouldn’t have happened.
    A long time diabetic friend of mine died this past Monday from a low blood sugar combined with congestive heart disease.
    Enough! My daughter and I are looking forward to this long overdue advancement in insulin therapy. Bring it on! I am a strong believer that this product will be a big winner.

4. Julia
    Julia May 10, 2014 at 8:00 am | | Reply

I agree with the poster above. Bring it on! The incidences of lung disease were gathered from the EXUBURA study. Later, it was disclosed that the six people diagnosed with lung cancer in the study were also SMOKERS! You have to balance potential risk to the lungs (which were demonstrated to be minimal) with the long-term risks of complications when your child/adult is out of range 3 hours after every meal, which means they are out of range NINE HOURS of the day. And usually twelve hours, because a lot of people will have one snack as well as their three meals. I am not really thrilled about the delivery system, but I am thrilled about the speed and duration of this insulin.

5. Shane Skinner
    Shane Skinner May 11, 2014 at 9:04 am | | Reply

Mike, Are you going to switch over to inhaled once it is approve?

6. Ben
    Ben June 6, 2014 at 1:17 pm | | Reply

I think this would be great for treating highs and also meals where you know there will be a spike. I would still use other insulin for some meals and basal.

7. Joseph
    Joseph June 15, 2014 at 10:23 am | | Reply

This is a God send for me. I have had diabetes for 13 years, using the same meds at the same doses for 99 percent of that time. I have always been around 6.3 a1c, but last year it spiked and I have had trouble getting it down. This year it went to 9.9 and even going zero carb diet and walking an hour a day, plus doubling my glipizide dose has not brought it back to desired levels. I think something like Afrezza would be perfect for me.

8. Marlo
    Marlo August 1, 2014 at 10:06 am | | Reply

I want this, I have had diabetes for 37 years I am sick of needles. , pump cords , worrying if my pump is going to fall off, I am ready to try this, yes I will still need long acting but when I’m running working and have to grab food , it will be nice to use an inhaler not a shot or a pump thst is almost empty or about to expire so I’m always carting around supplies!!! That sucks, do yes bring it on, I’m ready to try the inhaler , please hurry!