1. Jennifer
    Jennifer March 14, 2014 at 6:26 am | | Reply

Thanks for sharing this story! Like you I was pretty young at diagnosis (I had just turned 7) and I will be coming up on 29 years this July (not sure of the precise date either). You’ve inspired me to look up my former pediatricians! Thanks for all the stories you share and for being part of such an inspirational and motivational site.

2. k2
    k2 March 14, 2014 at 8:05 am | | Reply

Happy Diaversary, Mike!
    Keep celebrating and living and doing and becoming!

3. Larry
    Larry March 14, 2014 at 9:33 am | | Reply

Mike, I enjoyed reading your story very much. Great picture of your early years with your grandparents and froggy!

4. Kim
    Kim March 14, 2014 at 1:01 pm | | Reply

Wishing nothing but the best coming your way, Mike. Congrats on the mile marker. :)

5. Nurse Kathy
    Nurse Kathy March 14, 2014 at 2:05 pm | | Reply

Dear Mike:
    What a pleasant surprise to see your blog today. Your mom sent me the link.

Truly the quotes from my letter sum up my feelings. I am so thrilled that I have been able to continue to see your growth in life. Again, I smile with tears in my eyes to see those photos of you and “froggy” then and now.

My heart is so filled with love for you and your family. I am honored to have been a part of your life.

May only love flow through you so that you will be optimally healthy in spirit, mind, emotion and body!
    Please keep in touch.

Blessings to you always,
    Nurse Kathy

6. Laddie
    Laddie March 14, 2014 at 5:34 pm | | Reply

May the next 30 years see as many wonderful people making an impact on your life as the last 30! And I want to meet Nurse Kathy; what a special comment she wrote.

7. Stacey Simms
    Stacey Simms March 16, 2014 at 5:41 am | | Reply

Great post! I love that you’ve reconnected with the people who’ve helped. They must be so proud of you!

8. Narg
    Narg March 19, 2014 at 10:07 am | | Reply

I just pasted 40 years as a T1. Still going strong, though even stronger now that I’m pumping and on a CGM (Why didn’t I do these sooner!!!) Thanks for a great story.

9. dean berkland
    dean berkland March 21, 2014 at 6:40 am | | Reply

I have been T1 since 1957
    .I was four years old.
    I overheard the doc tell my folks that I would be lucky to make it past twenty.
    I vowed then to make him a liar.
    I am now 61, and have lived with T1 for 57 years.
    I worked out, ran, watched my diet, and have been blessed with good health.
    Keep on fighting ,, keep on exercising, and be vigilant in your eating habits, and you will overcome!

10. Mike Chavez
    Mike Chavez September 20, 2014 at 6:37 am | | Reply

My dad just just turned 72. Type 1 since he was 2. I have had it since 1986. No problems. You just have to be concientious abou it. Congratulations on 30 years!