1. Dan
    Dan March 4, 2014 at 6:36 am | | Reply

Hi Wil,
    Good comments regarding this new tool. My is a different thought. First, approximately 1 in 7 dogs and cats, canine and felines, are diagnosed with T1D. Giving a 2 unit shot to a 22 pound dog is a challenge regarding the accuracy of the dose.
    This is also a challenge for babies in need of injections.

As always, have a great day.
    Dan

2. StephenS
    StephenS March 4, 2014 at 10:15 am | | Reply

Very interesting Wil… thanks for sharing this with us. I think Novo will find an adult market for this kind of product in the USA. Even I know a couple of adults who would like these features. Thanks

3. Violet
    Violet March 4, 2014 at 1:06 pm | | Reply

I was just wondering if this will come to Canada I would just love it as I can never remember how much I take of my rapid and slow acting insulin .thank you

1. Marjorie
      Marjorie March 5, 2014 at 6:38 am | | Reply

HI

The Echo is already available in Canada. That is the first pen that my daughter used, and I loved the fact that it had the ability to tell you when the last dose was given and how much. This was especially useful for us since we were so new to diabetes.
      We received two pens from our CDE.

2. Wil
      Wil March 5, 2014 at 1:25 pm | | Reply

In Canada now!

4. GracieSF
    GracieSF March 4, 2014 at 3:59 pm | | Reply

Hi Wil, I just got my Echo a few days ago, but haven’t started on it yet. I was wondering why I didn’t get a color choice – now I know! Thank you for the review, I’ve been waiting for this thing to make it to the US. Back in the ’90s I had a “B-D Pen Mini” that not only dosed in 1/2 units (actual half units not only above 1 unit) but *GASP* also worked with both Humalog and NovoLog cartridges. I really liked the low landfill impact as well, but alas, Lilly pulled their cartridges from the market in favor of the disposable pens (and NovoLog was too expensive for my poor-college-student insurance). I was happy when Lilly brought cartridges back many years later, but I really needed those 1/2 unit increments. I’m on the MedT pump right now – but MDI is looking good again! :)

5. News & Views | War On Diabetes
    News & Views | War On Diabetes March 7, 2014 at 3:02 am |

[...] Novo Knocks it Out of the Park with New “Echo” Smart Insulin Pen  “It’s not an app. It’s not a pump. It’s a super-pen from Novo Nordisk called the NovoPen Echo, one of which I’ve been test-driving lately. It’s the world’s first half-unit dosing pen with a memory.”  Since somewhere around 25 to 30% of Type 2′s are on insulin, I thought this might be wonderful news! [...]

6. Scott S
    Scott S March 10, 2014 at 7:57 am | | Reply

Insulin pens are Novo Nordisk’s bread and butter, meaning they’re how Novo grew into the dominant supplier for insulin in Europe where insulin pumps are available but not widely used. Others like Sanofi once dominated the German insulin market have seen their share dwindle there as a result of its pen designs. However, the concept for pens with memory themselves isn’t exactly new. Lilly paid Battelle Medical Devices a lot of money to develop its Humapen Memoir, but screwed up royally when it failed to offer a memory pen with half unit dosage increments, especially given the fact that a LOT of their users are kids, plus the pens were pretty heavy. Be that as it may, Novo wasn’t creating this from a completely blank slate, they could build upon the work done by others and make it better. In the end, the devices are nice but not terribly smart … why don’t they track insulin onboard like pumps do? When it comes to innovation, most of what it here is incremental rather than new. Too bad it only worked with Novo insulin!

7. Olga
    Olga March 13, 2014 at 9:34 pm | | Reply

This reminds me of the cool Rx bottle cap our local pharmacy was giving out with a built-in timer. Opening the bottle resets the timer to zero. Close the bottle, and it starts counting. How many hours ago did I take my synthroid? Whoops, has it really been 37?

8. Shamsuzzaman Ansari
    Shamsuzzaman Ansari September 17, 2014 at 3:16 am | | Reply

Does anybody have any idea that how many insulin pen needles are sold every year?

9. Emils
    Emils November 10, 2014 at 12:03 pm | | Reply

I have just started to check these things, and it appears that there might be a better (and overall cheaper) solution: Timesulin. Mostly meant for disposable pens (Kwikpen, Flexpen and the 3d one), it is a simple pen cap replacement which detects when it is being removed from the pen and resets the counter: