1. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter March 8, 2014 at 10:25 am | | Reply

The pumps supposedly can deliver smaller, more accurate doses. However, they don’t always deliver what they say they are delivering. When numbers go out of control, PWD are asked what are they doing wrong. No one first assumes that the mechanics are faulty. It’s “what did you eat that you shouldn’t have?” Pumps are machines with many moving parts that may work imperfectly. My life is saner on pens.

Also, as a female, if I am going to forgo the cookies everyone else is eating mindlessly, then I at least want to be able to wear the slinky dress. If I have to eat like a supermodel, I want to be able to dress like one. Guys always wear pants.

1. Eric
      Eric March 10, 2014 at 9:37 am | | Reply

Pumps definitely can malfunction (or at the very least the infusions site). I am finally getting rid of my Omnipod patch pump for this exact reason. It got to the point where I was ready to go back on Lantus/pens but I wanted to try a tubed pump first (I never had tubing before).

Now that I have one I have to say its way more discrete than pens. And for a female wearing a dress/skirt– you should check out a garter to hold your pump- I wish I could wear one of these as a Man lol.

2. anonymous
    anonymous March 8, 2014 at 12:01 pm | | Reply

I’m going to agree about being engaged, and your daughter likely having poorer control no matter what device she uses.

But I am also going to disagree with you a bit. There are those that have the same basal rate 24/7. For these people, there is no benefit to a pump. Then there are those like me, where my highest dose is 0.9/hr, and my lowest is 0.45/hr. I need more insulin in the morning, a giant dip mid afternoon, and then return to ‘baseline’ in the evening through most of the night. I think for folks like me, a pump is basically required…

I’m also jealous of those with the same carb ratio all day long. My morning ratio at 8am is 1 u/7 g. For lunch, 1 u/ 14g. If eat somewhere in between, it’s a total crap shoot (I therefore don’t eat carbs until lunch).

Everybody is different. Some can succeed on shots, but I personally believe the variation my body needs is ONLY achievable with a pump. To ward off against the “is it working”, I use metal sets fwiw.

1. Tim Steinert
      Tim Steinert March 8, 2014 at 2:31 pm | | Reply

Needing more insulin in the morning, less in the middle of the day and stable at evening is pretty standard for MOST diabetics. I use half the insulin at lunch that I do at breakfast and dinner .(I use MDIs). My carb ratio is 1 unit per 7-8g at breakfast and dinner and 1 unit per 14-15g at lunch.

But the different insulin needs make sense. Take into account the wake response, the heightened activity in the middle of the day and the more sedentary activity in the evening and it explains most people’s insulin needs.

1. Ivy
        Ivy March 10, 2014 at 9:06 am | | Reply

My 13 year old daughter on shots since age 3 diagnosis. her type 1 diabetic new therapist told me she wished her parents made her go on the pump. My husband & I took her to order one, she now seems open to it but this article hit home. She’s in a new School, all new friends & wanting to be like them. Food choices when with them poor, A1C has been 10. I’m concerned she will be just as irresponsible if not more on the pump after reading this, how discouraging but important to be real ! I won’t tell her, but I wouldn’t want the pump & the changes & starting over scare me. I’m new to blogging – glad I found this -

3. Vicki
    Vicki March 8, 2014 at 1:07 pm | | Reply

Anonymous . Work with your doctor or CDE to get the ICR right for the rest of the time

4. Terry Keelan
    Terry Keelan March 9, 2014 at 5:58 pm | | Reply

It bears repeating that the pump is only a tool. The wearer still has to be mindful and attentive as always. One is just trading off relative inconveniences. I always correct fellow PWDs who say They are considering a pump in order to make thing “easier.” They’re not easier, just different.

5. Ivy
    Ivy March 10, 2014 at 9:10 am | | Reply

Oh, and her old School, nursery-6th, the kids supported her, knew about it. All new friends, do I talk to them or ask their parents to ? She will be mad at me but if it helps her, then so be it, again !

6. susan
    susan March 14, 2014 at 7:43 am | | Reply

It’s interesting that only a few days after reading this, I ended up on an unintended pump vacation while I seek a replacement (it was out of warranty).

Granted, I’m having to ‘retune’ everything at the moment, but to me this is the biggest difference:
    * You can only give 0.5 u as a minimum dose. I am very insulin sensitive. This prevents me from being able to correct a blood sugar of 180 say (because 0.5u would make me low).
    * Damn it requires a lot of shots to snack or graze. I find myself eating less because it’s inconvenient/don’t always have the insulin on me.
    * It’s a lot harder to keep track of once you start taking that many shots (I probably need an app, new meter, etc. to take the place of what the pump did for me here, but it’s not worth investigating for the short term). I worry about stacking doses without writing everything down, which I usually don’t have time for either!

I miss my pump a lot. That is all.

7. Scott S
    Scott S July 1, 2014 at 2:45 pm | | Reply

This is a reality that many pump evangelists (that’s NOT a term of endearment) don’t want to admit, but the reality is its completely true: a pump is merely a tool. As a former pump wearer, my HbA1cs are as good if not better than the days I wore a pump, but the scientific literature also proves this: the biggest improvements in HbA1cs are seen in people who had lousy control pre-pump. Those who had great control don’t see much improvement.

1. MikeH
      MikeH July 1, 2014 at 2:53 pm | | Reply

Totally the case for me, Scott. I had horrible “control” and had as high as double-digit A1Cs up until the time I went on a pump in 2001, and in the six months following my insulin pumping start I went down to a 6.1%. Leveled off in the 7-8s after that, and hovered around there. Except in times of burnout, when I’ve gone a bit higher. Have found that mixing things up every so often, with a “pump vacation” and going to MDI, has helped me get back on track. My former endo had a great line several years ago when I was talking up a new pump I wanted to switch to: “It’s the person, not the pump. If you aren’t willing to do what’s needed, it doesn’t matter what tool you use.” While I’m a huge fan of insulin pumps, I recognize the importance of this and try my best to live by it. To each their own, as YDMV.