1. Molly McElwee-Malloy
    Molly McElwee-Malloy February 24, 2014 at 6:36 am | | Reply

We are so thankful to Tom Brobson and the JDRF for their support of our work at UVA on the artificial pancreas. When you support JDRF research, know that those dollars are invested thoughtfully. Thank you Tom for spreading the word about what we do!

1. Jen
      Jen February 25, 2014 at 1:56 pm | | Reply

I have been trying for over a year to get my daughter into an AP trial with no luck. Any other suggestions beyond the website and calling the coordinators?

2. john
    john February 24, 2014 at 8:09 am | | Reply

Bottom line, what will be the costs for the insulin and glucose that will be loaded into it. I assume it will have both? If I am left with plenty glucose in the glucose reservoir but my insulin reservoir requires changing do I need to change both?

How much of a decline in research dollars will there be if this hits the market and all the ignorant people think its a cure?

To me, this is unnecessary tech. and a waste of dollars. Money should be spent on biology related therapies, not technology. The tech has been taken as far as it can be taken. This is just an over priced, over hyped piece of tech. Btw – the JDRF receives a huge donation from medtronic each year…….. Check the JDRF website.

1. Brian
      Brian June 8, 2014 at 10:55 am | | Reply

In response to john saying “The tech has been taken as far as it can be taken.”

Do you really think technology advancement is only now plateauing? Very doubtful. This tech could really upgrade quality of life. Remember this hasn’t been done before. Cars today are much better/safer than first models.

2. Burton
      Burton July 3, 2014 at 12:20 pm | | Reply

I completely agree John….while this is a truly great piece of technology, I would love to find a cure through biological means via adult stem cells or some other venue. I’ve heard a while ago about research involving injecting pancreatic stem cells (created from the host) into the pancreas, re-enlivening it to a working pancreas…but I’m not sure what happened.

3. Patty
    Patty February 24, 2014 at 8:10 am | | Reply

My T1D teen daughter was so inspired by our meeting with Tom Brobson in the fall, as well all were. We are grateful for the efforts of JDRF!

4. Molly McElwee-Malloy
    Molly McElwee-Malloy February 24, 2014 at 9:31 am | | Reply

John,
    I’d be happy to answer your questions personally. Please email me at artificialpancreas AT virginia DOT edu. As someone with Type 1 diabetes working on the project, I can assure you better treatment options (while we wait for a cure) are not a waste of money.
    All the best,
    Molly

5. Stephanie
    Stephanie February 24, 2014 at 10:42 am | | Reply

How do you get involved with the feeder trials that are mentioned? I was diagnosed Type 1 in 1996; I would very much like to be a part of something like this, but no one ever tells you exactly how to get involved with the trials.

6. Amy A
    Amy A February 26, 2014 at 10:47 am | | Reply

I saw him in MIilwaukee and was very inspired. After feeling duped by the claims of ‘just around the corner’ cures for decades, this new message was a breath of fresh air. I like the tweaks to the JDRF mission and have renewed hope for better contraptions now-ish and cures further down the road.

7. Simon
    Simon February 28, 2014 at 12:22 am | | Reply

Work needs to be done on the “less than transparent” regulatory systems to allow these devices into production. Sadly, this massive regulatory inertia, whilst preventing unwholesome “fly-by-nighter” from selling their wares, does make it difficult for good systems to come forward. Equally, “big players” love the dodgily conservative regulators (and positively ENCOURAGE slow, expensive regulation) as it keeps the newcomers out.
    There’s a difficult balance, it’s nothing to do with helping diabetics or clinical results between conservative & progressive. Remember that pumps only came about because a few “ultra progressives” said, “no, I’VE had enough. I’M making MY OWN pump” (which isn’t so scary, so long as you monitor your glucose well).

8. Gene Popson
    Gene Popson March 4, 2014 at 7:26 pm | | Reply

When is Tom coming to NJ?

9. Abbey
    Abbey March 11, 2014 at 7:10 am | | Reply

Thi is something I want so badly is a cure. I go to a school I know our Lpn who knows everything about it.

10. Holly
    Holly June 19, 2014 at 8:39 pm | | Reply

My 15 year old grandson was recently diagnosed with t1d. I don’t understand most of what has to do, only that he must carry glucose tabs, juice and take lantus before he goes to sleep at night. My daughter had her younger son and daughter tested and both are fine.

I can’t say for certain that there is a cure for t1d, however I do believe there is a cure. I also believe that a cure for t1d and other diseases would financially devastate the pharmecutical companies and the federal government.

11. David
    David June 30, 2014 at 1:10 am | | Reply

As a type 1 for 43 years, doing well with injections, I can see some value in semi-smart, semi-automatic insulin pumps for many diabetics. However, nothing less than a small, implantable, highly reliable, fully automatic, genuine artificial pancreas will replace injections and finger sticks for me. It’s simply not worth the trouble or the risk, versus depending on my own senses and judgement.

I believe that this technology is many, many years away from being mature, from being “the real deal.” I caution against getting too excited about it and suggest focusing more on approaches that could very well result in an actual cure. Stem cell research is where I would put most of my money if I was JDRF, not complex electronics, algorithms and mechanical systems.