1. Joe
    Joe February 19, 2014 at 4:59 am | | Reply

I have always used a red Sharps container. There is NO excuse for anyone including the author of this article to dispose of used sharps incorrectly. NONE.

Luckily most of the counties in the State of Florida where I live have a sharps container exchange program.

If you live somewhere that doesn’t have a sharps container exchange program, there are mail-in options available for sharps disposal.

1. Dana
      Dana March 1, 2014 at 7:12 pm | | Reply

Joe, I have just been diagnosed with type 1 last week. I stumbled across this website by accident. I did not know that there were regulations for disposing of my needles. Now that I think about it I feel like an idiot for not realizing this earlier. Thank goodness I have not taking out my trash for the week. I also live in Florida and was wondering if you could help me find the website for proper disposal sites. Thanks.

2. Riva
    Riva February 19, 2014 at 4:59 am | | Reply

Maybe it’s because I’m your mom’s generation, but mine are resting in a lovely, metal Melita coffee can. Trader Joe coffee cans work well too. Heavy plastic laundry detergent bottles also do the trick.

I agree, the challenge is what to do in a hotel room. You’ve reminded me I have one of those BD Safe Clips and oddly have never used it…you can lead a horse to water…Maybe you’ve inspired me to bring it to the next Hilton and give it a shot. Yes, pun intended.

3. Marge Stromberg
    Marge Stromberg February 19, 2014 at 5:17 am | | Reply

I was shocked to go into a Culver’s Restaurant and find a sharps container on the wall for customer use. In 42 years It was the first time I’d seen one provided.

4. Scott E
    Scott E February 19, 2014 at 5:31 am | | Reply

Don’t quote me on this, but I could’ve sworn that I was told *not* to use red biohazard sharps containers. Too tempting to those ill-intentioned trash pickers maybe? I dunno. So I’ve been using mostly heavy-duty plastic coffee or laundry detergent containers, then when done I tape the cover on thoroughly and label its contents with a Sharpie marker. For awhile, I just threw stuff in the trash, and with things like lancets or used Sure-T sets (where I bend the needle and hide it between the two adhesive pads) I often still do. Mio/Inset infusion sets, I feel, come with their own sharps container and they go right in the trash (either that, or grab a pliers and do some risky dissection of the set).

Many of the laws, if you can find them, seem outdated (i.e. what to do with Mio/Inset) or are nearly impossible to find anyway. Even my local endo’s office doesn’t simply says to check with my local municipality.

As for travel, I find an empty Glucose Tabs container works well for short trips. Also, many hotels (and cruise ships) will provide you with a sharps container for the duration of your stay if you ask. It protects their own employees.

5. Bob Fenton
    Bob Fenton February 19, 2014 at 6:59 am | | Reply

Timely topic. I am surprised to see FDA involved in this. The EPA is involved and the next few years will be interesting as states and communities become involved.

6. Ryan
    Ryan February 19, 2014 at 7:15 am | | Reply

I use a red sharps container. When it gets full I take it to my Endo’s office and they dispose of it for me! That way I know it is being taken care of properly.

7. AmyT
    AmyT February 19, 2014 at 8:19 am | | Reply

I’ve actually been using the same BD clipper product for like, 4 years now… it lasts a LONG time when you’re only clipping the insertion needles for your OmniPod once every few days :)

8. June S.
    June S. February 19, 2014 at 8:21 am | | Reply

I use the red B-D sharps containers which, unfortunately, keep going up in price. It used to be that a local hospital provided containers, and you could bring them over to the hospital for disposal. That program ended long ago.

9. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter February 19, 2014 at 9:20 am | | Reply

A red sharps container sits on my kitchen counter. If I go out of town, it comes, too. A white detergent bottle is in the bedroom for used sensors. The G4 did not specify disposal and the needle gets withdrawn up into the inserter, so those I’ve just been putting in the trash. Several years ago, I bought some small, white, rectangular sharps containers at CVS, but they don’t seem to carry them anymore. One is in my backpack, the other in my purse. When they get full, I carefully empty them into the detergent bottle. When I accumulate enough filled containers, I drive to a Madison Walgreens (Middleton won’t accept them) and they dispose of them. The mail-in sharps containers charge you for the container plus another even higher charge for shipping and disposal. Over the years, I have noticed more and more sharps containers in public bathrooms. One goal of Raising Awareness might be increasing those.

10. Tim Steinert
    Tim Steinert February 19, 2014 at 9:37 am | | Reply

When I was diagnosed in 2009, they thought I was Type 2, though they were just guessing. Anyway, I was using Lantus from the beginning (one shot a day), so after a little while, I bought one of those HUGE BD sharps containers, thinking, “this will last me forever!” Eighteen months later, it became apparent that it would be more like four to seven shots a day. My huge sharps container filled up pretty quick.

Being uninsured until this year, I had to pay out of pocket for sharps containers. In my state, there is a charge ON TOP of the money you pay for the container. The moment I found out I could use plastic gallon jugs labelled with SHARPS and take them to recycle centers, my endless supply of distilled water jugs from my CPAP machine suddenly had a new home.

11. Sharpening My Routine on Trashing Used Diabetes Supplies – JumpSeek

[...] post Sharpening My Routine on Trashing Used Diabetes Supplies appeared first on DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes [...]

12. denise
    denise February 19, 2014 at 12:28 pm | | Reply

We don’t have any sharps. The lancets come in drums, the pods have the sharp inside of it as the the senser inserter. Everything goes in the trash. The sensors themselves have no “sharp.” If we ever use a syrings then I’d put it in a bottle or something closed but I haven’t used one in ages.

13. denise
    denise February 19, 2014 at 12:29 pm | | Reply

Oh and the needle to fill the pod with, I put the cap back on which is really thick and clicks on and toss that too.

14. David
    David February 19, 2014 at 4:13 pm | | Reply

Who knew, I just need to slap a label on my juice container “sharps disposal” units. Since pumping, it is amazing how long each juice container lasts vs the 24 syringes every 3 days on MDI.

15. Jen
    Jen February 19, 2014 at 7:41 pm | | Reply

I always have used a red sharps container. In NYS, a hospital must take it for free when it is full. I am in healthcare, and I have been stuck by a known needle. Would hate for a worker in sanitation etc to get stuck by my unknown needle and have to worry for a very long time what they got stuck with.

16. Dan
    Dan February 19, 2014 at 9:17 pm | | Reply

Let’s see here: If you have insurance, you get the syringes from the pharmacy or from a mail order pharmacy distributor. However, they do not send you a sharps container to dispose the syringes. No. The diabetic, who already has high bills to manage the disease, has to buy a sharps container. If you take multiple shots, these containers fill up fast. If the ADA was really serious, they would by lobbying for a law that insurance companies should be responsible to send out sharps containers for the syringes they send out to us. Simple as that. If the diabetic has to go beg their doctor, or some hospital, or go buy the sharp container themselves, it is not going to happen on a large scale.

All of us diabetics should insist that the containment of our sharps should be a covered attachment when our syringes our disbursed by our insurance companies.

The vast majority of insulin syringes are dispose of improperly. It is not hard to figure out why.

In addition, no need to lecture on the virtue of diabetic responsibility–we need to be pragmatic here. It must be done in a convenient manner for the diabetic.

1. AmyT
      AmyT February 20, 2014 at 8:36 am | | Reply

@Dan – slapping a label on some used juice bottle seems pretty convenient to me — especially if you’re allowed to just throw it into your regular recycling bin.

I think we have bigger battles to fight with insurance.

17. Doug
    Doug February 20, 2014 at 5:27 am | | Reply

Ive used the same small sharps container for years. @Denise – Just because you only used the syringe for filling a cartridge doesnt mean its NOT supported to go in a sharps container. The person who gets “stuck” by your needle doesnt have the privilege of knowing what it was used for. Sensors use “needles” to introduce the sensor wire. ANY needle, including sensor needles need to be protected.

18. denise
    denise February 20, 2014 at 10:00 am | | Reply

“Just because you only used the syringe for filling a cartridge doesnt mean its NOT supported to go in a sharps container. The person who gets “stuck” by your needle doesnt have the privilege of knowing what it was used for. Sensors use “needles” to introduce the sensor wire. ANY needle, including sensor needles need to be protected.”

I wouldn’t put anything sharp in a garbage bag, not pins from a new shirt or a broken glass or even a litghtbulb that will break easily. I throw out sharp things by putting them first in a paper bag, like a lightbulb so peices of it arent’ everywhere or taping pins to a piece of cardboard–I don’t want to get stuck either when I’m throwing out the trash or carrying a bag to the curb.

But sensor needles ARE covered and protected, at least on the dex. It retreats right back into the inserter. And omnipod needles to fill a pod have a thick cap that clicks back on, not like the flimsy syring caps. These don’t pose a threat to anyone handling the garbage.

19. Penney
    Penney February 21, 2014 at 12:48 pm | | Reply

I have been using a milk jug for years, then tape it up and write USED MEDICAL SHARPS in big letters, then it goes in the trash. I called my waste removal company and that is what they told me to do. I have always wondered why casinos have sharps containers in their restrooms…

20. Robin
    Robin February 21, 2014 at 7:03 pm | | Reply

I use a detergent bottle, but it doesn’t fill too quickly. I put lancets and the ends of the OmniPod filler needles in it regularly, and and I have a collection of syringes – used during pod or PDM failures – that have to be clipped and disposed of but I need to get a clipper. When I travel for a short time I store any used sharps in the zipper compartment of my Sugar Medical case; I stick the lancet needle into the cap of the new lancet, and since I use multicolored lancets I just fish out the mismatched ones for proper disposal at home. For longer trips – and always when I was on MDI – I bring along a plastic container with a tight lid and keep it in the nightstand drawer. I can’t imagine dumping an unprotected sharp in the trash, but I work in health care, so I’m sensitive about sharps and infection control concerns.