1. Marnie
    Marnie February 11, 2014 at 6:54 am | | Reply

I didn’t even know we had to mix anything! Nobody told me about that detail and thankfully I haven’t had to use it on my 5 year old son, so I have no idea what it looks like inside

Thanks for the article, I too hope the antiquated glugon gets an update! .

1. AmyT
      AmyT February 11, 2014 at 10:44 am | | Reply

Whoa, Marnie – that’s not a detail! You need to know how to use the current kits, which are not easy. Here’s one of many instruction videos:

2. Nancy
      Nancy February 14, 2014 at 6:27 am | | Reply

Check and see if you have any expired kits (or, get a new script from your doctor filled). Use an old kit to practice – you could inject into an orange or grapefruit.

I did this once with my mom (I was basically dx’d as an adult) and we practiced on a pumpkin! It was fall, Halloweentime. :)

2. StephenS
    StephenS February 12, 2014 at 7:26 am | | Reply

Mike, this is great information. I spoke with Xeris almost a year ago, and the information I’m reading here indicates they have made some progress since then. Thanks for the update!

3. BethK
    BethK February 13, 2014 at 8:30 am | | Reply

We use our expired glucagon kits to practice with. Have never had to use one, but I can imagine how stressful it would be to try to figure out those directions during an emergency. An easier solution is overdue!

4. DD
    DD February 14, 2014 at 3:56 am | | Reply

25% of the time paramedics do not know to mix the glucagon correctly. They just inject the fluid without mixing it which has disastrous results. This information was provided to me by a third party doing a trial study for a new type of single inject glucagon

5. Deborah
    Deborah February 14, 2014 at 7:40 am | | Reply

We have had to use glucagon 3 times on our son and it’s a horrible thing to do! It’s very stressful to put the kit together while your child is having a seizure…he’s on a pump now and doesn’t have those awful lows anymore. I think parents (well, anyone!) will welcome an easier way to administer this.

6. Monday Morning Musings… | theperfectd™

[...] and perhaps even not by injection! Mike Hoskins over at DiabetesMine has a great article about Next-Gen Emergency Glucagon, in which he discusses the big issue: stability of glucagon. (Currently, once mixed, it’s [...]

7. Marie
    Marie May 14, 2014 at 5:36 am | | Reply

Dear Readers and Diabetes Patients,

In order to finish our Master thesis in which we investigate the behavior of American diabetes patients (on insulin) and close relatives and also the next generation of glucagon emergency kits/pens, we would be happy if you could take part in our survey. It will take approx. 10 min to finish. Your input is highly appreciated. All data is used for the purpose of our thesis only. Here’s the link to our survey:

Thank you!

1. lorna wallace
      lorna wallace November 12, 2014 at 2:14 pm | | Reply

Hej Marie,
      Your post is 6 months old. Are you finished with your study now?
      MVH, Lorna

8. DEBBIE
    DEBBIE June 9, 2014 at 11:42 pm | | Reply

I need to know how to get one of these new Kits as I am new To Alberta and don’t know if I need to Ask my ENDO