1. Keith Brooks
    Keith Brooks February 21, 2014 at 3:10 pm | | Reply

This is nothing new. Freestyle meters and strips haven’t read correctly since at least 2009. In 2009 my insurance switched for covering Lifescan meters to Freestyle meters. Once I started using their meters, I had frequent emt visit’s. The meters always read my blood sugar as being 100+ higher, than what it actually was. The meter pand strips passed their control solution tests. However, I was overdosing myself on insulin due to false high readings. I went back to Lifescan, after I and my doctor complained to my insurance and gave them emt and emergency room records. Abbott products are worthless and I’ll never use them again.

2. Robin
    Robin February 21, 2014 at 6:31 pm | | Reply

Thanks so much for this posting – it’s the first I’ve heard of it. I’ve received no email from Insulet, and I saw my endo yesterday and she apparently did not know about it either. I’ve had other problems with my OmniPod PDM meter and strips, but this is yet more troubling.

3. Liza Cardinal Hand
    Liza Cardinal Hand February 21, 2014 at 6:43 pm | | Reply

Thank you for the thorough information.

I am very frustrated and befuddled by the lack of communication from Abbott regarding the recall. It was only through third-party FaceBook bloggers that I learned of the test strip recall – a major deal for us as Charlotte (T1d and 11 years old) tests 10-15 times a day with her OmniPod. Not a word from Abbott, our test strip supplier, or Insulet. A massive oversight.

After searching the Abbott website for press releases or obvious information about the recall without success (press releases regarding Abbott’s financial news this week were prominent however), I called our mail order supplier, OptumRX, and was told by customer service and a pharmacist that they had no knowledge of the recall. I then called the Abbott Freestyle/OmniPod special recall phone number 888-522-5226 (different than the one you have listed above) – the customer service rep was genial and ordered 400 strips for Charlotte to arrive within 3-5 biz days. I am thankful for the new supply, but dubious about the test strip efficacy given this is the second test strip recall since November.

It irks me that Abbott is sending customer notification via snail mail, when robo-calls, email alerts, tweets, FB posts, etc. are far more expedient, less costly, and ubiquitous. Every decision we make about our daughter’s T1d protocol revolves around blood glucose testing. Waiting for a letter to arrive informing us that a pivotal part of her T1d management is faulty, inaccurate, and dangerous verges on negligence. I expect more.

4. Melissa Lee
    Melissa Lee February 21, 2014 at 6:54 pm | | Reply

So many of us in the DOC have been complaining about the PDM and Freestyle’s low readings for years. I’ve been running mine on different codes (after many side by side tests) to compensate over the last 2-3 years, but the PDM reads as much as 30-40 mg/dL below my other meters if used on the recommended code. Sometimes more. I’m displeased that, up until now, Abbott has said that it was not an issue. Insulet needs to be calling their customers and not letting Abbott take the lead on this…lest we recall their poor handling of the Navigator.

5. Angela
    Angela February 22, 2014 at 6:42 am | | Reply

My daughter has experienced at least 11 days of lows where we had no idea what was going on. We treated her “low” for several hours and then all of a sudden she would test high or in the high 20′s. Her A1c is going to be destroyed. We were up all hours of the night with her. She’s been on the Omnipod pump for 4 months so this was all new to us. There needs to be a class action law suit. This is completely unacceptable.

6. John Carr
    John Carr February 22, 2014 at 6:14 pm | | Reply

I recommend a class action lawsuit!!!

7. Leyanne
    Leyanne February 24, 2014 at 5:08 am | | Reply

@amyT Relatively low risk means NOTHING to those who experience a tragic event!

8. Peg
    Peg February 24, 2014 at 10:16 am | | Reply

Thank you so much for the alternative phone number. I was on hold for over an hour on the number provided in the letter. This number got me through and taken care of in a matter of minutes!

9. Doug
    Doug February 24, 2014 at 1:09 pm | | Reply

Not sure its fair to conclude that Freestyle strips “: haven’t read correctly since at least 2009″ and are to blame for ER trips. They are consistently rated among the most accurate in a less than accurate industry. Ive been using them exclusively for over 10 years and have zero EMT trips.. Used them in 2 Navigators, In 2 Cozmo pumps, in MANY freestyle meters …

10. Rob Anooshian
    Rob Anooshian February 24, 2014 at 8:28 pm | | Reply

I’m sorry, but how is Abbott to know who uses their test strips on Omnipod PDMs??
    Since the device that uses said test strips is incorporated into the Omnipod system, I don’t think Abbott can track those test strips in question without data from Insulet on who’s using them.
    In other words, it really should be up to Insulet Corporation to take the ball and notify it’s users of the Omnipod system that there’s a problem with the teststrips for the built in glucometer in their PDM.

11. Louise
    Louise February 25, 2014 at 6:53 am | | Reply

Amy T, Not sure I agree with your comments about discouraging folks from considering a class action. Part of “improving life with diabetes” is holding corporations accountable for their products. Our lives can literally depend upon their trustworthiness. I think the jury is still out as to whether Abbott has acted honorably and in a timely manner. Sometimes it is only our collective voice that can make a difference.

12. Kayla
    Kayla February 25, 2014 at 10:54 am | | Reply

My A1c is going to be totally different than my readings….I was never made aware of a recall in November either….who knows how long I’ve been running around with awful blood sugars not knowing it. I’m not saying I’d sue, but I would’t discourage it…..not to mention even the copays for these things aren’t dirt cheap.

13. KATHLEEN BURNS
    KATHLEEN BURNS February 25, 2014 at 1:04 pm | | Reply

SPENT OVER AN HOUR ON HOLD TODAY…NO JOY…HAD TO HANG UP.

14. News & Views | War On Diabetes
    News & Views | War On Diabetes February 28, 2014 at 3:37 am |

[...] Abbott recalls Freestyle Strips and Meters  ”Many of you have already heard about the double product recalls issued by Abbott Diabetes Care about 48 hours ago.”  If you are using Freestyle meters and strips use the link to find out what you need to do. [...]

15. Kirsten
    Kirsten March 9, 2014 at 10:34 pm | | Reply

Called Abbott last week from the recall letter. They asked for doc’s name, insurance card info and mail order pharmacy info. I received 400 new boxes of test strips from Abbott (August 2015 expiration date is the only thing that tells you they are correct ones) plus a new 90 day prescription from Express scripts that Abbott called in for us. Guess what the new test strips from express scripts were more recalled test strips and they won’t take them back. So $90 for strips we cannot use. Called Abbott to ask why… They really couldn’t help me other then they said keep calling back if we run out. Express scripts doesn’t under stand what the recall is all about. 2 more hours on hold trying to correct Abbott’s recall. What am I left with 400 test strips that won’t last us long. FRUSTRATING TO SAY THE LEAST.

16. Kirsten
    Kirsten March 9, 2014 at 10:38 pm | | Reply

Not 400 boxes. 4 boxes of 400 test strips from Abbott. Not sure how long it will be before Abbott ships out the non-recalled test strips to Express scripts but please beware if you use mail order pharma you may just get more recalled test strips. Ask if they are dated after August 2015. That is the only visible difference. Boxes are the same for recalled and new improved strips.

17. tina
    tina March 21, 2014 at 5:03 am | | Reply

I received a new meter from Abbot, it was to replace my Flash meter. I test my sugar three times a day, so I did comparison testing, twice yesterday and once this morning. Results: on all three readings: my sugar levels were 50 points lower on the old Flash meter. This leaves a lot of room for unnecessary and dangerous readings and subsequent personal treatment of symptoms. Abbot people were not at all helpful with information other than to say they had no information. This is pretty scary, and I am not certain changing meters is the answer, if Abbot’s products have been giving faulty readings since 2009, and this is the first most people will have heard about it, who’s to say this is not happening with products produced by other companies?

18. Jane
    Jane April 2, 2014 at 8:12 pm | | Reply

I just found out about this after getting crazy readings from my meter. I went on line to ask about setup questions, because I thought perhaps the setting was wrong and found your article. The worst part of all this is Walgreens is still selling the strips that are recalled. What’s up with that?

19. maja
    maja May 10, 2014 at 2:16 am | | Reply

As an diabetic patient I am using th FREESTYLE NAVIGATOR.Now that is the FREESTYLE NAVIGATOR 2 a new version.My exspirance is terribly.Lott s of pain, bleeding when the seansor has to be replaced..Whit the first editions of the same prodact which I was using 2/3 years I have no problem at all!!!!!!!!!!

20. J
    J June 20, 2014 at 7:39 am | | Reply

Went through the process of trying to get replacements for my Freestyle strips that were bad. Sent back my bad strips and was told it can take a month to get the replacements. Well am still waiting for the replacements after 35 days. Abbott Labs is the worst company to deal with! I would support a class action suit for their attitude. Has anyone else had issues with their replacement strips?