1. kathy
    kathy February 18, 2014 at 7:40 am | | Reply

I had my “big injection” 5-1/2 years ago. Unfortunately, my islets are on their last legs now and I am returning to my old diabetic ways. BUT, it was the best vacation I’ve ever had. I enjoyed every minute of it and will count this experience as one of the most important of my life. Thanks to all the brilliant researchers who have made this possible. PLEASE continue with this important project. It is our salvation.

2. scully
    scully February 18, 2014 at 9:46 am | | Reply

It all seems well and good but I dislike the idea of being treated like a lab rat for however long the islets work. I’ve done my research and even know someone personally who has had this. MOST people don’t last more than 5 years before either needing another transplant or to the point where they can’t get anymore transplants.
    Also? this person I know is sick ALL THE TIME. and not just a little sick but like hospitalized monthly.
    To me, that sounds absolutely pitiful and awful. That is what makes it seem like a lab rat because although it sounds well and good scientifically, realistically it makes our lives absolute misery. Ergo, hand me over a lifetimes worth of injections until they figure out how to REALLY cure us.

3. Islet Transplantation: On the Verge of Mainstream? – JumpSeek

[...] post Islet Transplantation: On the Verge of Mainstream? appeared first on DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes [...]

4. Kim
    Kim February 18, 2014 at 2:47 pm | | Reply

I had my life saving big injection in 2005. I remain insulin free with improved quality-of-life after nine years. Not only did the islet cell transplant functionally cure me, it also saved my life! I am so thankful for Dr. Oberholzer and his transplant team. They are the best and most dedicated professionals in medicine that I have ever met.

5. Susan Low
    Susan Low February 18, 2014 at 4:44 pm | | Reply

I am 2 years insulin free due to the Chicago Diabetes Project. Not only free from insulin but free from the life-threatening low blood sugars that required me to test 10-15 times day because I no longer felt the symptoms of low blood sugars. I know this “cure” isn’t forever, but I also know I have regained my ability to feel those lows and that, in itself, is worth the minor inconvenience of being a “lab rat”, actually something I have never felt at CDP.

1. Angie
      Angie June 6, 2014 at 3:54 pm | | Reply

Susan, how does one apply to be on the list for the islet transplant? I have a 38 year old brother that is sick daily due to his T1d & complications. He has had this awful disease for 28 years now. Please write back. Thank you, Angie

6. Stephanie Bradford
    Stephanie Bradford February 18, 2014 at 9:40 pm | | Reply

I’ve been aware of islet transplants, but also been informed that it usually goes along with other needed transplants– and is for people who are so ill from diabetes that the reactions to immune suppressing drugs are minimal in comparison.

Is there anything on the horizon that deals with the real problems of transplanting?

Also, awesome news and congrats to those who’ve found this treatment to be a game changer.

7. Lyrehca
    Lyrehca February 19, 2014 at 6:56 am | | Reply

What about the side effects of the immunosuppresant drugs? I had thought that they carry high risks of developing cancer–do they? It doesn’t seem so great to trade off one serious condition for another.

8. Cindy
    Cindy February 19, 2014 at 12:02 pm | | Reply

I also had 2 islet transplants and am so happy that I did!!! My life and health were not terrible before (other than the 15 times/day finger sticks and being connected to 2 different pumps all the time), but my life is so much better now than it was 4 years ago. Dr O and his team have changed my life and I am so grateful for them!!! It’s well worth the minor side effects of immunosuppressive drugs and honestly, there’s nothing out there today that doesn’t have side effects…look at the small print for any med out there. You always have to weigh the pros and cons, but for me, transplant is an answer to prayer!!

9. john
    john February 19, 2014 at 1:38 pm | | Reply

this will never be mainstream or approved by the FDA as long as immunosupressants are involved. the side effects from those drugs are too great. however, there continues to be more and more news regarding islet supply breakthroughs so i believe the argument about supply will disappear in the next year or two and it will be all about the immune response. encapsulation is our best bet, even if it only lasts a year.. i would go in each year for a fill-up.

1. Palak
      Palak June 17, 2014 at 11:52 am | | Reply

Hi John, I agree 100% that encapsulation is the Golden answer. I don’t know which research firm is focused on finding the right encapsulation technology. any idea? I am currently on pump and dexcom G4 platinum systems. best bet available so far. As a physician, I won’t ever take impressiveness to get islet cell transplant. its not worth it.
      Palak

10. Denise Lee
    Denise Lee February 21, 2014 at 2:28 pm | | Reply

This won’t take off with dangerous and cancer-causing immunosuppressives in the equation. Is Dr. Oberholzer’s team in Chicago looking into any encapsulation therapies with localized immunosuppression instead?

11. Gina Gaudefroy
    Gina Gaudefroy February 26, 2014 at 8:18 pm | | Reply

Are they doing clinical trials or may I apply to have this transplant?