1. TJ
    TJ February 22, 2014 at 5:17 am | | Reply

My endo prescribed metformin for me (a T1 on a pump with CGM) about 6 months ago. I was really wary at first, but the data shows that my peaks are less peaky, and that in general, my daily trends are much smoother than they were previously. I generally tolerate drugs well, so after the initial digestive pyrotechnics (seriously, take with food!) it has been clear sailing. And it’s cheap.

TL;DR: metformin has worked well for this T1. Smoother trends, less insulin, negligible weight loss (though I’m a marathoner in peak training. So I’ve not got a ton to lose).

2. Vicki
    Vicki February 22, 2014 at 10:26 am | | Reply

Thanks Wil for an informative post. I asked my endo for metformin (I am a type 1) and he said I did not need as I do not have insulin resistance.

3. SuperGirl
    SuperGirl February 22, 2014 at 7:53 pm | | Reply

Type 1, diagnosed in 1991, on a pump for 10 years…. added metformin last fall and its been the biggest game changer for me since starting insulin!
    Like TJ above, my meal-spikes are much less spikey now (shaved about 40-50 points of each meal spike), and a quick search of my CGM records shows my BG average going down about 25-30 points when I added metformin. Smaller peaks, less insulin needed (although just by a few units), no weight loss but no gain either, and lower BG without having to do anything besides choke down two pills… I’ll take it!
    I didn’t have the standard run of gastro effects when starting, I get occasional flare-ups of heart burn which disappear immediately if I stop taking met for a few days, but otherwise I tolerate it well.
    My only complaint is that the 500mg pills are big and I think they smell bad, but the benefits far outweigh the occasional annoyances of it!
    Add that its one of the $4/month generic prescriptions, and I’m pretty sure I save at least that much in the couple units of insulin a day I don’t have to take now so its a financial gain as well (probably by only a few bucks, but still!).

4. Newtxmgf
    Newtxmgf February 22, 2014 at 8:28 pm | | Reply

10 year type 1 here. 34 yo. Endo who is also a type 1 prescribed victoza. Had to stop after 6 months because the nausea was awful. Been on 2000mg metformin since. No issues. Victoza controlled appetite better, but cost and side effects make it prohibitive.

5. Cricket
    Cricket February 23, 2014 at 6:03 pm | | Reply

You say: “Of course, it’s more commonly being given to our kind [T1] for weight loss than for hepatic glucose control.”
    I don’t know where you get a statement like this. Reference? I have taken Metformin for a few years now—to help with insulin resistance. (Type 1 for many years and on pump.)

6. Dan
    Dan February 24, 2014 at 8:25 pm | | Reply

Wil–Get off Victoza immediately. That drug is to dangerous and too many questions about its long term safety in diabetics.

Metformin has been around for years and is generally safe unless you already have issues with your kidneys.

Try it–it will change your life.

In addition, there is evidence that it protects diabetics against glycation–which causes inflammation–which causes cancers and heart disease.

We need you around Wil.

Consider metformin and suck it up and swallow the pill.

7. sue whittier
    sue whittier February 28, 2014 at 4:31 pm | | Reply

To Carmen: be assertive and request that your GP refer you to an Endocrinologist – ‘they’ say the GP / FD is the gateway to the healthcare system here in Ontario – so just ask. ps sometimes you have to be a little more than assertive!

8. pam
    pam March 7, 2014 at 5:14 pm | | Reply

I have been on Metformin for about 4 months now. After 27 years of diabetes, my blood sugars have never been this good! It was a pretty rough transition, with a lot of lows, but now, where I used to have huge bg swings, is a nice flat line. It has also helped me figure out how to properly ajust basal rates for exercise.