1. Mike Ratrie
    Mike Ratrie December 26, 2013 at 5:26 am | | Reply

Congrats on making the decision and thanks for sharing your process.

2. David
    David December 26, 2013 at 8:09 am | | Reply

Tx for your candid and thoughful review. As PWD, we sure face some interesting buying decisions, don’t we? I have never handled a Tslim in person but I love the 300u capacity in a pump that is smaller by volume than the medtronic 5xx.

3. StephenS
    StephenS December 26, 2013 at 8:27 am | | Reply

Congrats on the new pump Mike! Kind of a bummer that no matter what we choose, we still have to choose something less than the ideal system we hope for. All the more reason to go with what works best for you. Good luck!

4. Kristin W
    Kristin W December 26, 2013 at 9:02 am | | Reply

The larger insulin reservoir is a major selling point for me, too. Won’t be getting a new pump soon, but the larger insulin holding-capacity will be a key point in my decision process, too. Congrats on your new hardware, and best of luck in finding your dream endo, and improving your relationship with diabetes in the new year!! :-)

5. June S.
    June S. December 26, 2013 at 11:19 am | | Reply

Has t:slim decided which CGM company it will partner with. Forgive me if that’s contained in your posting, which I read pretty thoroughly, if not every word.

6. Tim Steinert
    Tim Steinert December 26, 2013 at 11:54 am | | Reply

Finally having insurance after years of NOT having it may affect my decision on pumping insulin vs. injecting. It will be interesting to see if my endo just assumes I want a pump. I would not squawk in protest (though I am a Seahawks fan–Go Hawks!!) My hope for this coming year is that we all can get the medical attention and technology we need to help give ourselves the best possible treatment AND outcomes.

7. Christy
    Christy December 26, 2013 at 3:56 pm | | Reply

Thanks for this review – I’m an Omnipod user, and although I’ve only had it for 13 months, I’d love to trade. Can’t get my insurance to do that, though, even though I have a totally different policy (carrier) now than when I got the Omnipod. Hope to change to the t:slim or Medtronic when I’m allowed to. Your review was very helpful!

1. Debbie Kallaher
      Debbie Kallaher August 19, 2014 at 7:37 am | | Reply

Christy,

I am researching pumps for first-time use now. I had looked at pamphlets from my endo and had narrowed it down to a choice between the t:slim with tubing and the Omnipod without tubing. I thought that the Omnipod without tubing would be a better choice so I wouldn’t be so concerned with catching the tubing and pulling it out by accident. But i just read that you were wanting to trade in and go to the t:slim. Can I ask why this is your choice? Debbie

8. Art
    Art December 27, 2013 at 8:02 am | | Reply

I have been an OMNIPOD user since their release. Only pump I ever used. New smaller pods have an issue with the canulas. I use more pods then I used to. My concern is having tubing and not sure if the available canulas for the T:slim are comfortable. Any comments?

9. Merle Gleeson
    Merle Gleeson December 27, 2013 at 12:44 pm | | Reply

Hi Mike – I’m also a long time Medtronic pumper who loves my DexG4. My pump is out of warranty and I’ve tried both the Animas, Medtronic 530g and t:slim. How do you feel about the t:slim not linking to a meter requiring entering your bs every time? What about the 14 steps required for a bolus? And the fact that it takes longer to navigate each step? I’m not happy with any of the current pump options and since I take about 23 units a day would prefer a smaller pump unlike many other adults. Thanks for your opinions!

1. Ana
      Ana July 9, 2014 at 10:51 pm | | Reply

I’m in the same situation with medtronic and wondering if you made the switch. Please let me know which did you choose and why. TIA!

10. Nancy
    Nancy December 27, 2013 at 3:28 pm | | Reply

Have only used Omnipod and just cannot imagine going from tubeless to a tube. That was my reason for going with Omnipod to begin with. I have no major issues with the Omnipod. I use the Dexcom G4 as well. They work well together for me.

11. Natalie ._c-
    Natalie ._c- December 27, 2013 at 8:21 pm | | Reply

I also got a slim after many years on Medtronic. The reason was that Med’s CGM was just too inaccurate and missed a lot of serious lows that I didn’t feel until almost too late. And I tried it for 18 months. Now I have a Dex, and there was no reason to stick with Med. I don’t have a problem with the number of presses to bolus, but touch screens and I don’t get along very well, so I find myself almost hitting the screen to make it work. Agreed that I would like to see the amount of insulin left in the reservoir. Another thing I’d like is the ability to review daily total insulin doses rather than a weekly average. And I wish the cap over the recharging port was more durable. And my biggest biggie is that the t:connect doesn’t work with Macs. I hope they’ll address that soon!

12. Stacie
    Stacie December 28, 2013 at 10:10 pm | | Reply

Minimed is now selling the 530G separately from the Enlite CGM system…..yay! I also just received my Dexcom about 3 months ago and LOVE it — was not in the market for another. Medtronic shipped me the whole kit & caboodle which I was in the process if sending back when the territory rep stopped me.

My ol’ reliable Minimed died this past Sept and I trailed every option on the market. At first I thought the t:slim was a slam dunk but the longer I used it the more annoyed I became at the fact I had to push “1-2-3″ every time I needed in and that my meter didn’t link. The user interface on T:slim is awesome and leaves Minimed in the dust……maybe they’ll get a hint?
    The other part of the t:slim that made it not handy for me was the placement of the luer connection. It’s not far enough away from the pump that I can tuck it in my waistband or that it will stay in my pocket if the pump is upright (with the quick bolus key on top). I work in the medical field and I can’t tell you how many times in a month I had people ask why I had IV tubing coming out of my pants…..aaaaaaaargggggggggh! I never mind taking about my pump (or showing off my Dexcom! *grin*) but the inconvenient, oh-so-obvious, bulky lure connection put it on the not-for-me list.

13. Judy
    Judy December 30, 2013 at 1:04 pm | | Reply

I recently replaced my Ping with another Ping.

I have worn pumps by three major players. It seems that they all offer similar control. The buying choice comes down to preferences like button presses, software, tubing, and reservoir capacity. My deal breaker preference is water resistance as I float on a tube at our riverfront property.

If you can, replace now. A second or third replacement will be due when the real breakthrough arrives — a closed loop pump that doses insulin up and down based on the CGM.

Don’t wait for G4 integrated pump. They all offer upgrades at nominal cost if you have a pump under warranty. Besides, maybe the G5 will come out sooner than the G4 integrated pump. The Dexcom G5 system will be integrated with an IPhone or Android. I bet there will an app to let you detail what is happening in the moment, not later when you are sure to forget or feel too overwhelmed to do a good job of it.

With the Mini-Med CGM and the Dexcom 7 CGM, my A1C was 7.0 to 8.5%, with up to 8% of BG in a hypo range (< 70). Since getting a G4, I photograph it daily and annotate the photos using my Android. Now I have sustained my A1C at less than 7% with only 4% in a hypo range. Given what we have to work with, I am doing excellent. This article says so.

Are you in the excellent control group yet? Any pump and a Dexcom G4 can get you there. Go for it!

1. Josh
      Josh January 3, 2014 at 12:52 pm | | Reply

Judy -

“Since getting a G4, I photograph it daily and annotate the photos using my Android.”

Would love to hear about your workflow for your review of G4 data, and perhaps see some of your annotated photos.

Care to share?

14. George
    George January 14, 2014 at 9:28 am | | Reply

I am on my second Deltec Cozmo, which is now out of warranty, so I am searching for a replacement. I am concerned about “14 steps required for a bolus” mentioned here. Is that true? If so, I may keep my Cozmo until it dies ;-)

1. rrw
      rrw February 11, 2014 at 5:56 pm | | Reply

George,

I too went thru 2 Cozmo pumps and 9 great years of pumping that took me to a level far superior to the minimed I had previously. Unfortunately, I had to chose a different replacement after Cozmo bailed out of the Insulin Pump business. I went with a Tandem last April. Within 3 weeks I had to say there wasn’t anything about it I liked more than the Cozmo. 9 months later that hasn’t changed. What a shame to feel like you have stepped back 9 years in pump technology when you should be 9 years advanced. Yes, It’s touch and color. Who cares, It doesn’t help you with your diabetes. It has no integrated BG (its Bluetooth sits unused) and it Insulin and carb calculator is stuck at 5th grade math level. The cozmo actually would help with the math and realize if you dropped from 300 to 120 in 1 hour after taking a correction bolus, you were headed for a bad place and tell you to eat a certain amount of carbos. The Tandem (and most other pumps) ignore this and say things are fine at 120, and worse, tell you to take some more insulin for those 40 grams of carbos you are about to eat. The Cozmo would have accurately said eat 40 grams and take no insulin. It math. can that really be patent protected?

15. Christin
    Christin August 29, 2014 at 7:08 pm | | Reply

I have been using the omnipod for about 5 years and have good success with it until the switch to the smaller pods. I have had such a bad issue with the smaller pods. They have less adhesive and certainly do not stay attached very well. I have been doing a lot of exercise and running and they become wet and the cannula comes out very easily. I have been going through a lot of the smaller pods which unfortunately they don’t replace. I have had to buy tegadern to place over the pod. It is expensive
    and really doesn’t help much . Any suggestions? Looking for something better and willing to try aCGM.