1. Terry Keelan
    Terry Keelan December 18, 2013 at 11:45 am | | Reply

I was about to dump my Verio and go back to my one-touch because of the recharging pain – but with the upcoming sync capabilities, I’m rethinking.

Anyone tried recharging a meter/cgm/pump using one of those solar rechargers?

1. MikeH
      MikeH March 4, 2014 at 10:04 pm | | Reply

Think you’re about to answer your own question, Terry… :)

2. Joe
    Joe December 23, 2013 at 7:42 am | | Reply

The BG5 looks interesting, however it is not useful to anyone unless they have a private income due to the fact there is no Insurance coverage for the test strips yet.

3. Ed
    Ed February 27, 2014 at 12:59 pm | | Reply

I’ve been using the Sync for a few weeks now after using the IQ for quite some time. I’m not going
    to point out the positive aspects, just the issue I have run into.
    The app: my biggest complaint is that I cannot enter two digits after the decimal when entering a
    dosage. If I enter 7.05, it makes it 7.1. Other apps allow that, so why doesn’t this one? As a
    pumper, I use one type of insulin only, but the app makes me select Rapid instead of selecting it
    automatically. I even have “Pumper” in the About Me section selected. Exporting all the data from
    the app is impossible, so you have to connect the meter to a PC with the software from Lifescan
    and the proper meter driver.
    The meter: the moment you touch blood to the strip, it starts testing. If you didn’t get enough
    blood on there quickly enough, be prepared to test again since you will get an error message. I
    have discovered that the accuracy is suspect and find myself doing a second test and sometimes
    checking with another meter. I was having a low blood sugar and tested on the Sync, which
    showed my a result of 100. I knew it was wrong. I testing with another meter and got 65. I test
    with the Sync and then got 64. If I followed the first test, I would have gotten lower before treating.
    I shouldn’t have to use twice as many strips.
    Bottom line? I’ll be getting rid of the Sync and either return to the IQ or a different brand. I used to
    use OneTouch meters before without issues like this. I guess newer technology does not translate
    to better accuracy.

4. Jim Robertson
    Jim Robertson June 3, 2014 at 2:28 am | | Reply

These meters look interesting, but clearly have their limitations. I’d definitely agree with the final comment from Walt Mossberg’s WSJ article – the pace of meter development is utterly glacial.

I think that the critical thing here is that meters are just one part of diabetes care, yet they don’t tie in properly with the other parts of care – insulin dosing, food consumption, exercise etc. etc. And I don’t want to be tied into one meter or one brand of meters – what if I change devices, or what if I decide to try CGM? I’d like them to integrate with whatever I am currently using, rather than having to get set up with new software.

Personally, I really don’t want to be tied in to software provided by meter manufacturers – it will inevitably be limited and will not do everything that I want and need. In fact, I’d love to see some commercial competition between software companies to deliver some really good apps – I’m very happy to pay for good software, and some existing apps (e.g. Carbs & Cals) or a DAFNE app could be amazing if there was more commercial interest amongst users and an open data standard for meters.

Here’s the list of features that I want from a meter:

1. bluetooth transmission of data in an *open* format so that an app of my choosing can acquire and use the data direct from the meter.

2. low power consumption by the meter – bluetooth LE, low power B&W display (e.g. LCD or LCD e-paper)

3. USB or wireless charging (I know some people prefer to change batteries, but USB is just easier and so uniquitous – I’ve got cables in the office, at home, in the car etc. etc.)

4. clear, simple and convenient display of results on the meter – I don’t want to have to go to my mobile to see the result

5. at least 500 BG results memory in the meter for convenient syncing with mobile apps

6. meter taking date/time info from my phone when it syncs

7. small and compact meter – total size is important – my old Freestyle Freedom Lite was okay, but my current Freestyle Insulinx is too big

What do other people think? What would you like to see from your next meter?

5. Jason DeLaney
    Jason DeLaney August 18, 2014 at 8:31 am | | Reply

I am kind of liking the Verio Sync unit.

The fact that I am not adding to a pollution problem with disposable batteries appeals to me, and the battery life on this is pretty darned good, in my opinion (I haven’t seen a low-battery warning yet, and it’s been more than two weeks since my last charge.

My biggest issues with this unit are as follows:

1.) Software does not allow me to actually export anything. Only sends results as images. I would MUCH rather be able to send a listing of the entries, rather than an image of the results.
    I have yet to find the ability to send in a format that I can import to Excel or a comparable spreadsheet.

2.) While it says that I SHOULD be able to download info with my computer, that does not, in fact, seem to be the case. I have tried on different computers and always get visual basic error 3021.

3.) The side-loading strips make it very difficult for alternate-site testing.

4.) The case is… well… tight. As a type II who also has to use insulin, I have difficulty fitting my oral meds, my insulin, my syringes, and all of that happy stuff into the case. It seems, to me, that the molded plastic retainers in the case could be easily replaced with elastics and that would save a good deal of space.

5.) If it ever DOES work with the OneTouch Diabetes Management Software, why should it need the USB cable? Why not use the Bluetooth capabilities of the meter?

In response to the previous comment, regarding USB cable charging – I don’t use the wall wart at all. I have been charging only via the USB cable plugged into my computer.

I, also, agree that the development of new technology in the realm of diabetes testing is absolutely abysmal. I mean, we are JUST NOW seeing Bluetooth-enabled meters? Bluetooth technology has been around for nearly two decades!!! It’s been in common use for at least one decade. Why are we JUST NOW seeing it in these appliances that we use every single day?