1. Allison
    Allison November 22, 2013 at 5:11 am | | Reply

For me, it’s sweating, weakness/fatigue (for sure), loopy… and definitely laziness! I have also explained it to others that it’s like being a bit tipsy… unfortuntately that doesn’t make them feel very sympathetic, I think :)

But really, in my 18 years of T1, very few people have asked what it feels like. Probably because I don’t talk about it a ton, but if they wanted to know they would definitely ask. Everyone in my life is at least great about giving me a break and sitting and waiting with me if needed…

2. Marge Stromberg
    Marge Stromberg November 22, 2013 at 5:40 am | | Reply

A chill sets in after I’ve treated my blood sugar… about 10-15 minutes later. Fatigue, hunger pangs, inability to focus are some of the first symptoms. I have diabetic unawareness, so the usual sweats may or may not occur.

3. Jessica
    Jessica November 22, 2013 at 8:02 am | | Reply

I have a hard time describing Lows too, usually because each is so different! My activity at the time usually influences my body’s reaction. And sometimes my body reacts differently depending on the time of day, which is frustrating. I get the Big Chill too, but only during the day. If my blood sugar goes Low overnight usually the thing that wakes me up is that I get really, really hot and start sweating. Body reactions can definitely be frustrating and it’s sometimes hard to know if it’s my surroundings or the sign of a coming Low. How can we describe how it feels to be Low when each time we can have a different reaction?!

4. Amy
    Amy November 22, 2013 at 9:21 am | | Reply

I get freezing cold as well – and I get the sweats which make me even more cold. But I also get the oven warmth that wakes me in the middle of the night that Jessica talks about. Shakiness is common, irritability (what me? nawww), fatigue, hunger, and impaired cognition. Not all the time, not every time. But a handful of each per episode. I also am getting migraines after the fact (yeah me). I am certain there is a pattern as to which symptoms appear under what circumstances, but I am too lazy to do the data collection and analysis.

5. Tim Steinert
    Tim Steinert November 22, 2013 at 10:01 am | | Reply

The best way I can describe is:

You know that feeling at the end of the day after working a full day plus a few hours of overtime? THAT’s how I suddenly feel. But it can happen anytime. I also feel like a puppet whose strings have been cut.

(My sister knows me well enough now to say, “you need something to eat, don’t you?” My impression is that I look to her to appear “haggard” in an instant. By contrast, I NEVER looked this way EVER for the first 43 years of my life. I must look like death warmed-over to her).

6. Linda
    Linda November 22, 2013 at 11:03 am | | Reply

I notice I feel a little “weird”. Sometimes I start dripping a “thick sweaty drip”. I get a bit confused and can’t make decisions. My big chill always comes up after I’ve treated the low, about 10 minutes later, and it usually takes me about an hour to get my temperature back up to normal. Then, often times, I’m wiped out for awhile and have to just lay low for a few hours.

7. Shaun
    Shaun November 22, 2013 at 2:42 pm | | Reply

Usually my first symptom is a chill when breathing in through my nose. I tend to slur words when really low. Also, when chewing gum, which I do a lot, I notice a funky taste, alkaline-ish.
    When experiencing nighttime lows, my dreams get stuck in a loop, like my brain can’t come up with anything new. Dreams also become about eating usually. This always snaps me awake.
    I only ever got the sweats the first few months of being on insulin.

8. Mel Murray
    Mel Murray November 23, 2013 at 3:23 pm | | Reply

MikeH, somehow you have got me and my “big chills” perfectly described! Holy cow. Just when you are the only person in the world who feels the way you do, it’s so nice to hear you are not at all alone!!
    While me lows do vary, the “big chill” seems to be the symptom of the day these days, definitely has changed over time.

And, like Jessica, often at night, I find myself waking in a pool of sweat, but it’s the cold that I think actually wakes me up.

IF I catch things early, it’s usually cause i’ve been trying to solve a problem, and realize my brain isn’t firing on all cylinders.

I think most of the people in my “real world” (outside the doc) have no idea what dealing with a low is really about.

9. Mel Murray
    Mel Murray November 23, 2013 at 3:26 pm | | Reply

um, sorry for all the typos in that post…. might be time for a BG check, haha
    …Just when you THINK YOU are the only ….
    ….While MY lows do vary……

10. Weird middle-of-the-day low. | Diabetes Blog - Happy-Medium.net

[...] Friday, Mike Hoskins over at Diabetes Mine wrote about how hypoglycemia (low blood glucose) feels to him. If you have diabetes, you have your own experiences with hypoglycemia. Nearly everyone’s [...]

11. Karen
    Karen November 25, 2013 at 9:02 am | | Reply

I think it’s so important that you’ve shared your first symptom and it’s not one often mentioned as a low symptom – because it highlights the fact of how different diabetes can be for each one of us! For me, I often see a weird glaring of the light – I can’t really describe it but I know it and I know it means I’m pretty low.

12. Diabetes Community Advocacy Foundation – DSMA Blog Carnival – November Round-Up

[...] being asked many times what a low blood sugar feels like, Mike chose it as one thing to share this [...]

13. Savannah
    Savannah September 30, 2014 at 7:48 pm | | Reply

Ok so I’m not a diabetic and haven’t been tested, but I suffer from these weird symptoms like in the article above. It happens every time I swim in cold water or experience cold temperatures. I get extremely tired-to the point of literally falling asleep right then and there, nausea, dizziness, headaches(similar to migraines) and fatigue. So… Can someone tell me what may be the problem? It only seems to happen to me when I’m cold. So… Any help or advice?