1. June S.
    June S. November 12, 2013 at 5:27 am | | Reply

We can’t get a Google doodle for Nov. 14th, and we can’t get a blue bear from Build-A-Bear. Basically, it’s because – until it hits you or your child – you don’t really know anything about Type I diabetes. If the president of Google, or the president of the corporation that owns Build-A-Bear suddenly were diagnosed with Type 1, this would change. Autism affects far more children than Type 1 diabetes does.

2. Joe
    Joe November 12, 2013 at 5:54 am | | Reply

Because Diabetes is seen as a disease that only effects big overweight people.

3. StephenS
    StephenS November 12, 2013 at 7:36 am | | Reply

Mike, I wonder if there’s no specific Build-A-Bear for diabetes awareness specifically because of the relationships JDRF has with Roche and Medtronic? Though frankly, that would be a stupid reason, since bear sales must be a miniscule fraction of the revenue those companies generate.

At any rate, I’m fully behind one symbol (and one color) unifying our cause. Keep up the advocacy!

4. SueG
    SueG November 15, 2013 at 12:27 am | | Reply

I must admit to being a bit jealous of how instantly recognisable is the pink ribbon and pink everything that is for sale in the supermarkets to support breast cancer research. It is up to us (the advocates) to help JDRF – their Charter doesn’t allow for hard earned funds to go anywhere apart from research. Please don’t bag them for what they can’t / aren’t doing, but praise them for what they have achieved.

5. Ann B
    Ann B November 15, 2013 at 4:58 am | | Reply

I think we have some gaps to close like the google doodle comment above, as well as why does the White House go Pink in Octboer, but not blue in Novemeber for a disease that concerns nearly 26 Million Americans, and 79 M in waiting? We don’t have one monument in DC to represent us for one day out of a month dedicated to diabetes!? What’s up with that?

6. Sherman E. Newell
    Sherman E. Newell June 29, 2014 at 7:39 am | | Reply

at present I have no ideas about a symbol or even a bear but unifying seems to coinciding with education of those with Diabetes both Type 1-2 Myself I just found out about it from going to see a Doctor but I have suspected for a while that something wasn’t right, sorry but I need to provide extra clarification I am also Gay but do not have AIDS, so I was always afraid to get blood work done because if I found out I had any type of blood related problems, I wouldn’t know what to do.