1. Tim Steinert
    Tim Steinert November 9, 2013 at 1:55 pm | | Reply

My last endo appointment was September 25, and about 10 days prior to it, my BG levels began to plummet. (I called it “dive-bombing”). I could trace it to a huge increase in my activity level.

The interesting thing is, I’m not always as active as I was then, but my insulin needs have still dropped. I imagine that Pat’s lows can be traced to too much activity for the amount of insulin. The obvious answer is slow down– no it’s less insulin!

I have slowly dropped my mealtime insulin by a unit or two and my basal by three or four. To tell you how low my BG levels had gone, about a week ago, I looked at my 30-day, 14-day and 7-day averages. They were all at 100!

2. Chevy Silverado
    Chevy Silverado November 11, 2013 at 5:19 am | | Reply

Hey there are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own.
    Do you require any coding knowledge to make your own blog?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. Trish
    Trish November 15, 2013 at 6:29 am | | Reply

I’ve been a Type 1 since 1952 (age 2 dx) and have been told that much of my erratic blood sugars are because of the types of insulin that were available then. I’m not sure I understand all of this, but something about the larger molecules are still in my body and the insulin now used (humalog and novolog) occasionally adhere to the old molecules and can cause weirdly low bg’s.. Maybe the same thing is happening to Pat?

4. sue whittier
    sue whittier November 15, 2013 at 12:17 pm | | Reply

Although retired now, I’ve definitely been ‘in the trenches’! There were four units that all routinely would cause low BGs – Neurosurg / stepdown ENT / infectious disease / Emerg! [paediatric teaching hospital]. And when I first worked ‘on the wards’ / NICU included – rotating shift was expected. I came to the conclusion that most of the ‘low’ BG was due to ‘challenge’ / exciting stress [ES?] – the activiy -well about the same everywhere. Lantus didn’t appear until after my hospital experience [26 years altg.]- moved on to a new arena. Because a busy / overwhelmingly busy day / night was never predictable I always had an extra chocolate bar or two with me as well as a can of cola in my lunch kit – i.e. nearby [it works much faster than juice] – MDs / sick kids and their Moms don’t have the abiity to wait too long for ‘their’ nurse – quick recovery was essential. I kept whatever the long acting insulin I was using the same -and adjusted short acting to accomodate meals or lack of [as per Will - a little forethought needs to be put into planning] . As long as I had a good breakfast before hitting the bed – I was fine – I am one of those almost brittle diabetics [ didn't miss much in life as it came around - one of the designations / definitions of being brittle- so almost!]- still here to talk about it. :) [61 years of D]
    And don’t forget yourl day’s off – time table changed again – that’s another reason I’d keep the long acting insulin the same. And I have never missed Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner because of diabetes [only work had that distinction]..

5. Evelyn Guzman
    Evelyn Guzman November 16, 2013 at 4:06 am | | Reply

You’re my favorite diabetes writer. No one can beat solid information mixed with humor. But I feel so bad about you losing your health insurance. How did that happen?

Regarding this, I’d love to hear your take on the Obamacare. I think it’s a good thing for the diabetics. At least no one can deny health insurance to anybody anymore. And of course, growing pains is to be expected. Then sometimes I think someone rigged the Obamacare website so it will fail.

6. Amy Hopkins
    Amy Hopkins November 30, 2013 at 8:53 am | | Reply

I have just spent 6 weeks caring for a diabetic cat while the owner was hospitalized for surgery and rehabilitation. There is no way to test this animal, I had to wait until he ate at least 1/2 a can of cat food before giving him his insulin. After talking to the Critical Care Animal Hospital when he first pulled the lesser eating amount routine I had to avoid giving insulin until the next meal, when he was actively hungry. The entire time I was worried that I was not caring for him properly. The last day, he ate o.k. but then he hid and was definitely confrontational when found for his shot. I don’t know if the insulin was losing it’s power, but sent the owner out the first day home to obtain another bottle. I hope I never have to care for him again. It’s bad enough having to calculate my own diet-and medications.

7. lisa gill
    lisa gill August 18, 2014 at 12:03 pm | | Reply

I suck at being a diabetic…I had low blood sugar for years before my period of pre D and not past 8 years full blown diabetic…always was told lows were from my yoyo diets…I struggle with weight … then menopause and thyroid issues later ..her I am…more weight than ever and sugars out of sight.. I have mornings I can get below 180 but went to bed with 380.. this week was it …I take levemir 60 units at bed and novoog 8 units before meals. I think my insulin went bad cause it is not working. at one time I was getting too low ..now too high… I am tried of failing at this…I am so sick today and depressed after 6 days of this roller-coaster I felt ready to quit…I feel horrible out of control as my sugar is…my pcp np is my manager as my endo left town…sorry for the whining but I am really feeling bad. I was about to go to ER to get help but couldnt afford the help..just filled my Thyroid meds today after being off a few days.. It is bad when you have ins but still pay a fortune for meds you need..thanks ..I am still fuzzy in the head from my ups and downs sorry