1. Gretchen
    Gretchen November 16, 2013 at 6:16 am | | Reply

Remember what Bill Polansky says: “Diabetes causes nothing.” It’s poorly controlled diabetes that has side effects.

And all those studies lump together people with type 1, type 2, and all the other types as just “diabetics.” Many probably have A1cs in the 9s and 10s.

Long ago, a type 1 said to me, “The best thing you can do for your health is to get a chronic disease that forces you to take care of yourself.”

Euell Gibbons, the eating-from-the-wild guy, had a brother Joe. Joe had type 1 diabetes, and he outlived his vegetable-loving brother Euell.

Finally, many type 2s and some type 1s take metformin, which seems to reduce cancer rates.

2. Natalie ._c-
    Natalie ._c- November 16, 2013 at 4:54 pm | | Reply

Seems to me that I read many years ago that women with T2 have fewer spontaneous abortions. Now, since this is dredged up from the very bottom of my cobwebby brain, I wouldn’t swear to it, and it wouldn’t affect men or T1′s anyway, but I thought I’d add a LITTLE cheer into your day! :-)

3. Graeme
    Graeme November 16, 2013 at 8:11 pm | | Reply

Love your columns Wil, but surely there must be some good news to find for us.

The overall death rate of T1 D’s is exactly 100%, and I seem to remember reading that a higher percentage of T1 D’s die from heart disease than do normal folk. So the maths is in, a lower percentage of T1 D’s must die from these other nasty causes.

4. Tricia
    Tricia November 16, 2013 at 8:29 pm | | Reply

As a PWD, I feel that I am more in tune with my body and know far more about my body and my health than any doctor ever will… I consider that a positive!!

5. Mr Emigrant
    Mr Emigrant November 16, 2013 at 10:06 pm | | Reply

Type 1 diabetics eat a better diet and that makes a big difference in health and longevity. So basically you’re wrong!

6. Cara
    Cara November 16, 2013 at 11:06 pm | | Reply

PWDs can use there insulin to restock muscle glycogen faster than non-PWDs.

7. Emanon
    Emanon November 17, 2013 at 8:29 am | | Reply

I disagree with the “Absolutely Nothin’” in sofar as type 1′s are involved. As long as we are not 100% sure of the real cause (or causes?), but that it is clear that our immube system is involved.

My guess (2 cents) is that this abberant reaction of the immune system might have some (slight?) advantage in some other (infectious?) disease(s).

8. ED BASEHEART
    ED BASEHEART November 17, 2013 at 2:25 pm | | Reply

ALTHOUGH I DON’T EAT OR COUNT CARBS EXACTLY RIGHT , AT THE VERY LEAST I DO THOSE BETTER THAN I OTHERWISE WOULD. FOR THOSE I AM THANKFUL.

9. mikeC
    mikeC November 18, 2013 at 12:30 pm | | Reply

When a situation like this occurs:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0463935/ insulin dependent diabetics are the only ones who can save the day!