1. Greg Chason
    Greg Chason October 10, 2013 at 6:22 am | | Reply

I have State Farm, and they have no problem adding a rider to the policy for insulin pumps

2. Mike Ratrie
    Mike Ratrie October 10, 2013 at 8:13 am | | Reply

Wil,

Thanks for another informative post. I agree that specifically listing your pump and/or CGM is the way to go.

Just to reiterate. When exploring insurance it really pays to have specific discussions with your agent. They can also advise you on what is NOT covered, as you pointed out with “mysterious disappearance” and understanding that if your policy has “named perils”, damages and losses outside of those perils are not covered.

For my Roche Accu-Chek Spirit Combo pump, I believe their policy is very similar to what other pump manufacturer’s have. They will replace (with new or refurbished) a defective pump within their 4-year warranty. I also have a “hot standby” pump that will work for up to 6 months, if my Spirit Combo dies (or is lost) for any reason. Granted, it is based on the older Spirit pump (no integration with the meter), but I can put in a fresh insulin cartridge and be back to pumping in minutes.

3. Myrna
    Myrna October 10, 2013 at 9:41 am | | Reply

My daughter has OmniPod and we were told that they will replace PDM one time if it breaks at a low fee. We do need to provide the broken PDM even if it is in pieces to get a replacement. They will not replace lost PDM.

4. Doug
    Doug October 10, 2013 at 11:11 am | | Reply

If you live in a 100k house with the typical 1% or 2% deductible – even if its covered it will still cost you 1000 or 2000 in deductibles if you live in a 250k house those numbers are 2500 to 5000 – meaning the insurance is basically worthless

5. Terry
    Terry October 10, 2013 at 12:17 pm | | Reply

I’ve concluded that the cheapest insurance is your old pump. If it still works, it can stand in for a lost or damaged pump until it can be replaced when the warranty period expires and the health insurance policy will buy another pump.

It’s not an ideal solution but spending money every month with an insurance company, taking the hit on the deductible in the case of a claim, and trusting that there are no hidden “gotchas” in the insurance policy all favor the “old pump fall-back” solution.

6. Tonya
    Tonya October 10, 2013 at 5:24 pm | | Reply

We have Allstate & they told us no it wasn’t covered. Our agent’s wife actually has type 1, so he said it was something he researched with the company.

7. Brian Bosh
    Brian Bosh October 11, 2013 at 7:48 am | | Reply

In the case of the missing Dexcom specifically, they’ll sell you a replacement receiver for $200, completely independent of your medical coverage. That’s less than the cost of most insurance policies.

(That $200 was for a 7+ after it met its demise under the heavy side of a car in a parking lot. I don’t know the replacement cost of a G4 receiver.)