1. June S.
    June S. October 8, 2013 at 5:26 am | | Reply

Very interesting … and frightening. What I don’t understand from your posting today, however, is this: Are you saying that Medtronic feels all insurance companies are now going to cover the transmitter/sensors? That can’t be right, can it? I need some clarification.

1. Stevie B
      Stevie B October 31, 2013 at 6:39 pm | | Reply

We were shocked when our inside Medtronic sales person said we had a couple of “options”. I asked them to explain those options and they said, there are none! Either you buy the new pump/cgm “system” or you don’t.

Guess what… we aren’t! Now we understand the history of the Minimed pump but the corporate culture that appears to have taken over via Medtronics (since they bought Minimed in early 2000′s) is very disappointing to say the least and that does not bode well for the future of the product and just as importantly the service one would hope to expect!

2. Amy
    Amy October 8, 2013 at 6:44 am | | Reply

Hanselman is right on target about the tech falling behind, I share his frustration and I recommend his blog and articles to anyone interested in the D technology connection.

Medtronic lost my trust a few years back when a news article exposed that they falsified clinic results and bribed doctors on a spine product of theirs. (search medtronic on jsonline.com)

This uber marketing and strange decision to limit who can buy what confirms that I made the right choice when I left after 12 years of being a loyal pump user.

1. God
      God October 8, 2013 at 10:01 am | | Reply

Interesting article. I had never heard of this. Reading it, if the majority of the $34M were for royalties there is no foul play. Based on the chart he did have some years with a high amount of consulting fees, but if he is a KOL (Key opinion leader) in his field, he can command a high fee and if he is used a lot, which it sounds like he was, it would explain the payments.

I hate to break it to you, but I don’t think this is limited to Medtronic. Those were also the glory days of “pharma” where every company was sending doctors on lavish “education” meetings (think Maui). That of course doesn’t make it right. In the diabetes business I would love to know how much Bruce Bode rakes in each year by all the companies he consults for. Thanks to the sunshine act and other reforms over the years it has curtailed it.

Medtronic Spine is not Medtronic Diabetes. Would you hold the brother of someone accountable for the individual’s actions?

1. Amy
        Amy October 9, 2013 at 7:14 am | | Reply

When you have employees that ghost write clinical results supposedly performed by practitioners, I do have a problem with that – among other shady business in this same series of articles.

I know that this is relatively common place and not limited to Medtronic by a long shot. This does not incline me to condone it by any stretch. As a consumer, have chosen to vote with my dollar where I can.

I am aware that this is a different division of Medtronic. And yes, If I knew a man whose brother lied and stole from people, I would keep my distance. You lay with dogs, you get fleas.

Excusing this as “everybody does it” and that the division was only related to the diabetes organization excuses it and accountability is lost imho.

I was a huge fan of Medtronic for a long time. They have lost credibility and as a result, my business.

3. Tom
    Tom October 8, 2013 at 9:00 am | | Reply

For anyone interested – check out the FDA’s website (their recent Enforcement Actions and Warning letters section). Medtronic timed the press release of the new 530G approval to come out on Friday September 27 just ahead of the October 2nd posting of the Warning letter issued to Medtronic on September 19! The warning letter cites several significant findings related to the Pre-market Approval of the newly approved 530G… hmmm.

4. Douglas
    Douglas October 8, 2013 at 9:14 am | | Reply

I stumbled across your blog while looking for new user experiences with the 530G. Yes, I know its new but I was hoping someone had their hands on one that was willing to share their experiences. I’ve learned more here than my Medtronic rep would share. For example…

Me: When will my new pump ship?
    Them: In a few weeks. We have over 3,000 patients in queue that are a part of the upgrade program.
    Me: So, as a new paying customer I go to the back of the line?
    Them: We can’t tell you when the pump will ship. We have been told 3-4 weeks.

In short, I like your writing style Mike and appreciate the intel. I’ll be back. :-)

5. ted
    ted October 8, 2013 at 10:06 am | | Reply

A couple of questions/points:
    1. When is the Animas CGM combo pump coming out?
    2. Will that pump have a 300 unit reservoir?
    3. Will that pump have a threshold suspend function, too?
    4. If I can’t buy the Medtronic pump without the CGM function, I’m sure I can still use the pump (i.e., it won’t fail to work without the sensor).
    5. I’m sure Medtronic’s strategy is to push the CGM on everyone – even though their CGM isn’t nearly as good as Dexcom’s.
    6. Which leads me to…if Animas and Dexcom’s combo pump has a 300 unit reservoir (or at least the option of getting one), why wouldn’t you wait for that (if the 300 unit reservoir is what you need)? I don’t see any reason – whatsoever – to get the Medtronic pump other than it is first on the market.
    7. In light of the fact – not the opinion – that the Dexcom CGM is better than Medtronic’s, why would you risk a “missed” hypo (you get them on Dexcom, too, I know)? But the chances are greater with Medtronic…
    8. Bottom line – if the Animas/Dexcom pump has a 300 unit version, there is no reason – whatsoever – to get the Medtronic pump now. Wait for Animas.
    9. I know I sound like I’m employed by Animas or Dexcom – I’m not. But I just don’t see the purpose of getting the Medtronic pump.

6. Jennifer
    Jennifer October 8, 2013 at 10:14 am | | Reply

Are you sure about the upgrade cost of $399? I have an in warranty pump and called a rep last week, I was told there was no way I could upgrade.

1. Hollie
      Hollie October 16, 2013 at 10:22 am | | Reply

I have a revel and have a year and 5 months left on my warranty. I was told I could upgrade for $399. I did some of my own “investigating” after I was told something from a medtronic rep (that insurance would definately deny my claim for this new system and that if i didnt get the whole system i couldnt get just the new transmitter and sensors because they are not FDA approved to be sold without the 530g pump) and called my insurance myself and my doctor. I found that both of these statements were not true (or at least can be worked around with approval from the doctor). My point is advocate for yourself and make calls to your doctor and Insurance personally (I know we shouldn’t have to!). I did and I will be receiving the 530g with transmitter and sensors next week and my insurance covered it. My rep was very surprised that I made this happen!

1. Donna
        Donna June 28, 2014 at 11:25 am | | Reply

I agree wheheartedly with Holly. It is our responsibility to advocate for ourselves. Insurance companies are not going to offer you a $7000 pump without a little push. Remember, they are a profit making business, not your friend.
        Also, shame on you for bashing Medtronic. They are a great company that has changed the lives of people living with diabetes. The 530G is a great step forward toward an artificial pancreas. My sons A1c is dropping for the first time in a year. Progress in these devices is slow for many reasons. Caution has to be observed to protect those using them and remember the almighty government and their often asinine paperwork requirements for companies researching and developing. It costs a lot of money to get the research and approval completed. We can’t expect to receive these services for nothing.
        I for one, am very greatful for the lifestyle improvements Medtronic has provided for my son.

1. Sean
          Sean July 9, 2014 at 7:27 pm |

You are all pathetic. I have been a type 1 diabetic for 7 years and I have an A1c of 6.7% and have been keeping it steady for months and months even years. My highest was 7.4%. All I use is the vials and syringes and I manage just fine. I wish I could somehow afford an insulin pump. I would absolutely love to have one. My insurance company won’t even here my case to even try to get me one. You all should be grateful for the pumps that you have or can get. So please quit your bitching and be happy with what you have! Thank You!

7. Racheal
    Racheal October 8, 2013 at 11:22 am | | Reply

Medtronic 530G an Artificial Pancreas??? It’s False Advertisement.

8. Doug
    Doug October 8, 2013 at 12:45 pm | | Reply

Mike
    You are MUCH kinder and gentler than I and therefore, thankfully the points you make will be better received than my years of RANTING against Medtronics marketing and sales tactics. Its a corporate policy to bend the truth to its breaking point and sell products. Its been constant for the 15 years or so Ive been paying attention to the pump market. Medtronic has been lying to and exaggerating the features functions and future of the Medtronic pumps for years. They make empty promises to the parents of young newly diagnosed type1s.. Shameful.

There is no rule or insurance limit that keeps you from ordering a 530 without the CGMS – its simply Medtronics compleete lack of customer focus. They have implemented an INTERNAL POLICY that prevents it. They want to sell the more expensive pump combos. There is no insurance requirement or other rule. Simply a medtronic Marketing policy. Just like the proprietary infusion set connectors and so many other decisions they made. Not focused on the health and well being of the patient / customer – focused on the health of the company…

This past week at the JDRF walk, one of their sales people attacked me when I expressed my opinion that the Medtronic sensor was less accurate than the competition. Which in my opinion, reduces the value of the suspend mode. Her rebuttal was to defiantly challenge me what my qualifications were to make that assessment. My qualifications ? Im a pump user and can read with comprehension. Even the new enlite sensor by Medtronics own published studies is not as accurate as the Dexcom.

9. Kim
    Kim October 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm | | Reply

I have used the Medtronic pump for 5 years and the CGM/sensors for 2 years. The pump is wonderful. I have had no failures or other issues. Learning to use it was really easy. The CGM, on the other hand, has a very steep learning curve and accuracy is a huge issue. Has this problem been fixed with the new 530G? I would be very reluctant to rely on their sensors’ results to automatically suspend my pump in case of a low when the sensor’s 60 can easily be an actual 100. I am afraid the suspensions would cause me to run high unnecessarily.

10. Kristin
    Kristin October 8, 2013 at 1:35 pm | | Reply

I’ve been using the Veo (which is what the 530G is called in Europe) for two years, but without CGMS as that is not supported in Hungary where I live. It is “funny” that it received approval much earlier in places where CGMS is much less widespread.

Moving from the Paradigm to the Veo basically nothing changed (except two additional alarm options). As a former Cozmo user, the Medtronic pumps feel like a step back in time.

Perhaps it is not bad that the pump will shut off if you stay low, but really how many of us correct lows by shutting our pump off and if you have a serious low, I feel like the insulin shut off would be way too late and too slow to make a meaningful difference. I would prefer a shot of glucagon. So no I am not excited about this “artificial pancreas”.

11. Carey
    Carey October 8, 2013 at 2:07 pm | | Reply

My question is if Medtronic is only selling it as a combo unless you have government insurance or are a kid, how does this effect those whose private insurance does not cover the cost of a CGM? I meany I know many patients who are battling the insurance company to get CGM coverage, but with no luck so if they are a current Medtronic costumer and want to stay with the pump, but without the CGM, do they have to just switch pump companies to go with a stand alone? Or do they fall into the group of peds and government insurance holders? I am currently up for a new pump, but was holding out for the 530g as well as the vibe from Animas before I made the jump. I love Medtronics device and the CGM has worked for me luckily, but if a company is going to worry more about the profit than the patient needs I will not feel comfortable supporting that type of work ethic. I think I will wait a while longer before I make the next big pump choice.

1. Stevie B
      Stevie B October 15, 2013 at 4:19 pm | | Reply

Yeah, ours just declined our request for one! – Blue Shield CA “not medically necessary.”

I just asked our inside rep at Medtronic do we have any options in buying a pump without the CGM (after telling us we have two options and being incredibly ambiguous relating to those two options). The response directly from Medtronic was “no options”, they told us we must buy the pump and CGM together! Absolutely astounding. They are relying on their product alone to uphold every other despicable policy and position the company (sales & marketing) institutes.

Wow….

1. Sean
        Sean July 9, 2014 at 7:40 pm | | Reply

I get that “not medically necessary” shit all the time from my insurance company and there isn’t anything else I can do about it. Its completely ridiculous. The doctors should be the ones telling them what to do not the other way around.

12. J J
    J J October 8, 2013 at 3:37 pm | | Reply

Great article. But I’d like to offer a counterpoint to all the ‘shame on Medtronic’ stuff people have been putting in the comments. People take so much for granted …

Medtronic (diabetes division) is a company dedicated to helping people with Type 1, including my daughter, live happier and healthier lives. They are also a business, and like all businesses they need to be profitable.. Same goes for Animas, Novo Nordisk, BD, OneTouch etc. Where would we be without the truly amazing innovations developed by these companies over the years? Urine testing, using NPH and living with the prospect of tragic lives.

Add to this mix a FDA that is unpredictable and heavily armed.

Medtronic may have made a questionable policy decision. And I’m sure they’re looking at this all, regretting it and planning changes.

But enough with the piling-on! If you want to get angry, get angry at the FDA, and the fact that they’ve made it so hard for companies to innovate.

1. Type 1 Electrical Engineering Student
      Type 1 Electrical Engineering Student October 8, 2013 at 4:53 pm | | Reply

I am assuming your daughter is newly diagnosed. You would feel differently if you were living with type 1 diabetes for almost 20 years. Also, as a type 1 adult, I make my medical decisions and pay my medical bills.

Some diabetes medical device companies make sub-par products.

One time, I had SEVEN replacement pumps in 3 years for Medtronic pumps due to issues.

Medtronic is not making ground-breaking progress. The JDRF which funds Medtronic’s **product development** is behind the low glucose suspend.

Just some things to keep in mind.

13. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter October 8, 2013 at 4:13 pm | | Reply

First, the insulin in a pump has a duration of 3-4 hours, so shutting it off will not do anything to stop the insulin already infused. Second, besides the horribly inaccurate CGM which only worked if I managed to insert it in the perfect spot and calibrate it at the precisely perfect moment, what finally made me decide to go back to injections was that it wasn’t giving me the dosage of insulin it said it was (bubbles and bg over 400) and correcting was difficult because I couldn’t tell how much or whether I was infusing insulin. A cut off — it seemed to be doing that on its own at random moments. Of course, Medtronic insisted I must be doing something wrong, but even the rep who observed me couldn’t detect anything wrong with my technique. Never again.

14. mcityrk
    mcityrk October 8, 2013 at 4:24 pm | | Reply

Noticed on the day of the announcement that both DXCM and PODD [Dexcom & Insulet] stock sold off on heavy volume in almost panic mode, but once people actually figured out what Medtronics was adding to the marketplace, cooler heads prevailed and the stocks bounced back since the 530G is cleary not the “competitive edge” the initial headlines implied.

15. John
    John October 8, 2013 at 4:39 pm | | Reply

Enough already with all this sub-q crap. We need to focus on encapsulation. CGM’s are trending tools. All we get is more tech, more expensive insulin. Aren’t you people ready to hold the JDRF and others accountable. Has anyone asked why they receive $250k per year from Medtronic but how much did they give back in research dollars?

We will never be free from sub-q therapies as long as the donors don’t speak up.

1. AK_John
      AK_John March 17, 2014 at 10:28 am | | Reply

This is my big gripe with the diabetes industry as a whole. There is a doctor in Boston, Dr. Denise Faustman, that has been doing some wonderful research. She has restored my hope for a possible cure. She admits that it may not transfer to humans, but then again it may. Her Phase I clinical trials were very promising. Anyway, JDRF actively attempted to discredit her, and thankfully were not successful. I love furthering the treatment available, with research dollars. It makes our lives better while we have to live with it, but we also need to find ways to help innovative and caring doctors like Dr. Faustman. She gets no funding from any of the organizations that claim to want a cure, or the government. Her funds come from donors like all of us and a couple of more wealthy donors, such as Lee Iacocca.

Reading the information and opinions on this blog have opened my eyes up to Medtronic, as I have just purchased a 530G, getting rid of my relatively new G4. I am going forward with this decision, but will do so with a very skeptical eye on how it functions.

For what it’s wirth, I have been living with diabetes over 40 years now, and thankfully have no complications. I am a former patient of Dr. Bruce Bode, who was mentioned in this blog article. He is an excellent doctor for his patients, As to his affiliation with a pharma or device manufacturer, I have no issue with that. He is in the business to help people, AND MAKE MONEY. This is so for all of us.

16. Nancy
    Nancy October 8, 2013 at 5:56 pm | | Reply

It’s very interesting to read these conversations over Medtronic’s new tech. I’ve been using a Ping for almost 2 years now and am not completely satisfied with it (my biggest issue is the reservoir size – the Ping’s “200-unit” is no where near – really only about 186 and you can’t pump the last 10 units either).

So, last spring, I was exploring switching back to Medtronic and had several conversations with their reps over the phone. In the end, I decided to stick with the Animas for now because of those sales reps’ pushy shadiness about the coming “upgrade.” I was being pushed to make a decision quickly so I could be assured of the “free upgrade” that could happen any day now; then a month later, pushed with the same spiel from a different rep – even after I pretty much told them I had no intention of using Medtronic’s CGMS, not matter what they said about changes that had been made. The photos I’d seen and reading I’d done didn’t show anything significantly changed about their crappy CGMS.

I’m sorry, but those tactics leave a bad taste in my mouth, especially as the actual upgrade took another six months to be implemented. Now customers are being forced to take the CGMS, no matter what? Ugh. The whole automatic shutdown scares me more than reassures me – I’m supposed to trust a machine to make decisions for me about my blood sugar? I don’t THINK so, not at this point in the technology.

17. Benjol
    Benjol October 8, 2013 at 10:46 pm | | Reply

I (or rather my daughter) haven’t been in this ‘game’ for long, but reading here and elsewhere, it seems to me that people in the US are (generally) far more obsessive about getting good ‘numbers’ than (generally) here in Europe. Maybe CGMs are feeding that obsession, as much as they are responding to it?

18. katerinas
    katerinas October 9, 2013 at 1:37 am | | Reply

I don’t like the way they think either! The problem that I have encountered is the opposite of yours but equally frustrating! I live in Greece and the only CGM we have is the Medtronic enlite sensor however you have no choise of getting it without the pump. So either you get the combo pump-CGM or nothing. My son is quite happy on MDI so we can not even try a CGM!

1. Natalie
      Natalie October 10, 2013 at 9:53 am | | Reply

Being “obsessed” about good numbers is how you live a long life with diabetes. Without good numbers you will have complications and you will die young. It’s a proven fact and if you talk to life long diabetics with the disease 30+ years you will find that paying attention to those numbers is why they are still healthy.

19. Sandi
    Sandi October 9, 2013 at 5:29 am | | Reply

Anybody hear about the T-slim and their possible combo pump with Dexcom?? Now, that is an awesome pump! And yes, you can turn your pump off if you need too….you don’t need the pump to “think” for you

20. Richard Vaughn
    Richard Vaughn October 10, 2013 at 10:19 am | | Reply

I have used Medtronic pumps for 6 years and have had excellent success, with no issues. I have also used the Dexcom 7+ CGM, with many issues. It seems that most CGM users have great success with the accuracy of their CGM’s, but some of us have terrible problems and are tired of alarms that frequently say we are low, or high, when we are in our comfort range. Medicare does not cover CGM’s and I cannot afford the out of pocket expenses, so I must use a pump without a CGM attached. I am glad I started using the Revel in June, 2012. It does not have the CGM, and I can continue to use it until it stops working (perhaps another 5 years, or more). Maybe there will be an Animas or Tandem pump that will be suitable for me at that time.

I have been type 1 for 68 years, and have no diabetes related complications, except for mild nerve damage. Hmmm! Maybe I don’t need a pump. MDI was not all that bad for my first 62 years. Lol!!

1. scott
      scott February 10, 2014 at 10:16 am | | Reply

68 years! Awesme! I’m on 42 and goign strong. Hoping to make 50 years!

Scott

21. Julia
    Julia October 10, 2013 at 12:11 pm | | Reply

Insurance pays for our DDs pump so the higher cost does not effect us. We have found the Dexcom 7 Plus very accurate in comparison to Minimed sensors. The Gen4 is much more accurate, though our teen does not want to wear two sites. When she is ready to use cgms again, no question it will be a Dexcom. The minimed pump will work just fine without the Enlite sensors. If insurance will pay for Dexom sensors and Minimed pump, fine. If not, there are other choices for pumps such as the TSlim and Veo, which should be approved shortly. Leaning toward the TSlim. Minimed may lose customers if insurance won’t pay for the Gen4 Dexcom sensors with Minimed pump. No mother is going to put a demonstrably inferior cgms on her child unless the child is allergic to the Dexcom tape. We have other viable pump options but, to date, Dexcom Gen4 is the most reliable cgms.

22. David
    David October 10, 2013 at 2:39 pm | | Reply

So the bottom-line (ignoring the questionable marketing) is about $400. People who want to pump medtronic will have to buy this new combo pump at a sticker price about $400 more than the prior Revel model but you don’t have to use the CGM part of it. I’d be surprised to hear that insurance companies won’t cover Dexcom if you choose not to use medtronic’s CGM (assuming coverage for CGM at all).

23. Dominiator
    Dominiator October 14, 2013 at 6:22 pm | | Reply

Welcome to the complete control of all your medical needs by ObamaCare!

24. StephenS
    StephenS October 15, 2013 at 6:45 am | | Reply

Mike, thanks for the additional insight. I’m uncomfortable with Medtronic marketing this as an AP product.

I worry that unknowing people will assume this is the holy grail, and think we should all have it, and we should never have any issues with our BGs again… which will never happen.

I also worry that touting this as an artificial pancreas device will help to dilute the term for any other outfit who subsequently releases improvements on what Medtronic has done.

And finally (and this is just my opinion): I think Medtronic would have had great success, and very little backlash, if they had promoted this as a low-glucose suspend product, keeping in line with developments still to come in artificial pancreas technology. Oh well… now they’ll probably say forever that they released the first AP device, even though it isn’t.

25. Race
    Race October 16, 2013 at 1:41 pm | | Reply

I don’t like being FORCED to purchase a CGM because “my insurance will cover it”. Being a T1 or T2 should not be a reason for medical product companies to resort to EXTORTION to sell their products! I will not be blackmailed into purchasing additional supplies because Medtronic has decided it is best for those who have good enough insurance to pay for it! SHAME ON YOU MEDTRONIC!!!

26. Race
    Race October 17, 2013 at 8:06 am | | Reply

UPDATE *****
    After having to call multiple times and getting the Exectuives office there are options that if your doctor prescribes they can’t refue to sell you,. Just want to be fair.

27. Terri
    Terri October 21, 2013 at 4:14 am | | Reply

The ‘artificial pancreas’ by Medtronic is a joke. They are stil using a pump with 1980s software architecture and design. I am a new Tandem user. Just wait until the t:slim is integrated with the Dexcom G4. Why would you possibly want to go wtih a Medtronic or Animas pump??

28. Greg
    Greg October 29, 2013 at 5:51 am | | Reply

Have you tried to actually order the 530g and Enlite system from Medtronic? My wife and I started as soon as the release and we are getting the runaround. I suspect Medtronic does not have the production capacity to meet the current demand and what you are seeing is a set of red herring arguments on its part. Bad on Medtronic for misleading its customers with a new pump that you cannot actually get.

29. FatherofTwo
    FatherofTwo November 5, 2013 at 7:58 am | | Reply

My daughter is currently using the 530G. To be honest, the pump is irrelevant – it’s exactly the same as her previous Medtronic pump except for the low shut-off. The Enlite sensors are huge improvement over the previous Medtronic CGM sensors. Prior to switching to Medtronic a year ago, she had an Animas pump. The Animus pump was better – easier to use & better operation. We did have some reliability issues with Animus, but the pump did get a lot of abuse and service was always very quick to replace the unit. If these companies actually cared about the patients, they would make their pumps & sensors an open system. Allow Animas pumps to work with Enlite sensors. Allow Dexcom G4 sensors to work with Medtronic pumps. It could be done very, very easily – all they need to do is publish the wireless interface specs and API. Give us CHOICE!!

1. scott
      scott February 10, 2014 at 10:19 am | | Reply

Would be great, but they all after their own cash cow. This is business and we diabetics pay a lot of salaries!

30. DAM: Diabetes & Top Information Websites | theperfectd™

[...] has given us information that I wouldn’t have been able to find on my own, such as this investigative article about the new Medtronic 530G and Wil Dubois gives a CDE and T1 perspective when answering some tough [...]

31. Lisa
    Lisa November 21, 2013 at 10:30 am | | Reply

I have to agree here with the critics rather than the supporters of Medtronic. I became a Minimed pump user in 2000, and Minimed was a great company–hardly ever a problem and if there was one they admitted and corrected it instantly. Ever since Medtronic bought the company, there has been a steady decline in quality (in both materials and customer service) and little real innovation. There have been so many instances when I’ve had problems, but Medtronic reps always blame it on “user error.” They won’t even recall dangerously defective infusion sets and reservoirs, but just blame problems on “user error.” Anyway, last week when some kind of clog kept me at a bg close to 400 for an entire day without any “no delivery” alarms even going off, I decided I had had it. My warranty is not up, my health insurance may or may not cover the cost of a new, different pump, but I am tired of feeling constantly endangered by Medtronic’s defective equipment. So I am changing. Not sure which one yet, but I’m getting out. It’s about as traumatic as a divorce, but when you are married to a lying, cheating abuser who is cleaning out your bank account, you know it’s time.

32. Tom Goffe
    Tom Goffe December 2, 2013 at 7:34 pm | | Reply

Dear Mike,
    Your editor must have missed it when she let this statement get through, “So a “regular” adult type 1 is now forced to order the 530G combo system, or nothing at all?!”

By those lights I must be a second class diabetic since my pump is provided to me by the US Department of Veterans Affairs. See, I was a 30 year old Army Staff Serveant when I was diagnosed with Type 1. After a medical discharge, no insurance and a year long fight to get VA benefits, I’ve paid a price. But to have been relegated to some sort of second class status among diabetics is infuriating. I’d kill to be able to have not just the 530g, but more importantly the Enlite. Sadly, it seems it won’t happen. If you don’t want yours, I’ll take it. Until then, consider yourself fortunate to have options. I don’t.

33. Brian
    Brian December 5, 2013 at 8:09 am | | Reply

I have been a Medtronic customer for years. Although I have had a small share of troubles over the years, the customer service experience has been excellent. I’m so thankful that they are doing what they do and hire great people to come help me when I need it.

Would I like an actual artificial pancreas? Yes. But until we can get one out here, this is as good as it gets. The sensor is comfortable, highly accurate, all in one device, will shut off in a situation I may desperately need it to, 300 units, and I used the missed bolus reminder, which embarrassingly, I need. To top it off, a huge team of support behind them.

Diabetes is horrible, and everyone needs something to complain about. But I for one, would recommend people give it a try and stop complaining this Christmas season. We’ve come a long way and I am thankful to be wearing this, despite the political issues.

34. Darren Burton
    Darren Burton December 11, 2013 at 7:17 pm | | Reply

Log in and it will tell you if you are eligible for the Path2System.

Also, Medtronic never said that it was “an artificial pancreas” just a step in that direction. I’ve used the Animas and Minimed in the past and am much happier with the Minimed. More reliable and dependable overall by far.

35. Narrowing the Options | See Jen Dance
    Narrowing the Options | See Jen Dance January 9, 2014 at 1:42 pm |

[...] It Real On Medtronic’s 530G diabetesmine.com/2013/10/keepin… [...]

36. Lauren
    Lauren January 28, 2014 at 12:52 am | | Reply

DO NOT GET THE SENSORS!!!!!!!!!! They do NOT work. They are horribly inaccurate!!!!!! Mine has been a total nightmare. My pump constantly shuts off saying that my blood sugar is low. I hate them!!! Minimed has not offered a single solution that has made any difference. The sensors will often be 100 points below what my blood sugar is. I have corrected for low blood sugar that I did NOT have because of this. It is horrible!!! The sensors just do NOT work at all. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. These sensors are going to kill somebody!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. Brian
    Brian February 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm | | Reply

I have been using the new enlite sensors for 3 or 4 months and find that the lag is still in the range that makes the auto suspend questionable as to it’s usefulness. I have had blood sugar reading of 116 and the pump is showing 70 and ready to suspend.
    I have had blood sugar readings of 60′s and the pump is showing 112 when it should have been in the suspend mode.
    The old sensors were almost as accurate and they were easily good for the same 6 days although the insertion is barbaric.

I guess it’s back to what they have always said “use the pump for blood sugar trends”

38. Rick
    Rick March 8, 2014 at 7:58 am | | Reply

I, too, waited for the 530g and enlite sensors but like the saying goes, “Some things are worth waiting for.” I love the pump and the low alert. It has worked for me more than once where it woke me up and I was low. I feel like I sleep with another blanket – the 530g blanket. Now that all being said, it took me lots of training and multiple phone calls to their customer service group but I got it all down now.

39. antoni grippi
    antoni grippi March 14, 2014 at 10:51 pm | | Reply

Thanks very informative

40. Susan
    Susan March 18, 2014 at 1:02 pm | | Reply

I tried to get the new Medtronic system but my insurance won’t cover it so they are sending me the Revel model instead. I did note during the application process that per my conversations with the insurance company that I didn’t think I would be covered for the CGM and I didn’t really want it. They pushed it on me anyway and now I have to wait for it to go through the insurance. Again.

41. Hannah
    Hannah May 25, 2014 at 7:33 pm | | Reply

I just started using the 530G pump and CGM with enlite 4 weeks ago. I’m heartbroken. I’ve had type 1 diabetes for 32 years. I thought this CGM would make my life easier. I made the terrible mistake of not reading the bad reviews which are all over the place on the internet before I ordered it. I didn’t want to purchase the Dexcom system because I didn’t want to have another device to carry around with me besides my pump. That’s why I upgraded to the 530G. Now that I’ve had 4 weeks with very little success – large differences in the CGM glucose versus the blood glucose, false alarms, sensors not lasting 6 days because they get bent, I started reading reviews online (too late) . I feel that I was ripped off and misled, just like many of the responders above. I would like to stop using the CGM (not the pump) and buy the Dexcom. Obviously, my insurance company won’t pay for another CGM when they just paid for one. How much is the Dexcom CGM without insurance? Will Dexcom be willing to send me a complimentary CGM if I continue to purchase their sensors on an ongoing basis (sort of like getting a free blood glucose monitor from the manufacturer b/c they make all of their money on the strips that you keep buying) or am I dreaming? Basically, am I stuck with no recourse because like a sucker, I bought their lousy product and now I can’t return it and get my old (pre 530G) pump back?.

42. Carol
    Carol May 26, 2014 at 8:33 am | | Reply

Hannah, it can’t hurt to check with Dexcom. I doubt they will spot you a transmitter and receiver for free, but you never know until you ask. I’ve been on the MM pump for several years and pleased overall with the pump itself. But their previous generation of CGM was not even close for me, so I had scrapped it. My trust in MM’s sensor technology was not good after that experience, so I recently went to the Dexcom G4, and it is sooo much more accurate. Makes me realize what garbage the MM sensors were. MM’s executive team is not showing much wisdom in paring an overall decent pump with a sub par CGM and forcing that on customers. My next pump will not likely be a MM.

43. Maggie
    Maggie June 25, 2014 at 7:53 am | | Reply

I am another frustrated customer. The Enlite sensors are never ever even close to accurate. They “work” sort of for two days. Like others I am awoken all night every night with alarms that are incorrect. I have insurance that picked up most of the cost, but I can’t handle the emotional cost. I plan to quit wearing the sensor once I have used up the supply. I loved Medtronic for 15 years until now. This is the end of that trust and loyalty. Yes they are a business, but they are a business that profits off my disease. I ended up with ketoacidosis for the first time in my life. Medtronic does not care about keeping me safe…or they would pull the whole line of sensors. I am done.

44. Lane
    Lane June 27, 2014 at 9:34 pm | | Reply

I would like to comment on my experience with the Medtronic 530G. Medtronic upgraded my pump in October 2013. My opinion: Horrible! There are 100-150 point variances between meter results and sensor results. I have had it go to 60 or below, setting off the Threshold Suspend, only to check my BG and find it at 130 or so. If I were soundly asleep and didn’t hear the alarm, who knows how high my glucose would have gone after shutting down the basal for two hours. It will give me double arrow trends in two different directions within 10 minutes of each other. The alarms are virtually constantly sounding, where I often turn on the alarm silence; otherwise it would drive me nuts. I get frequent cal errors. If I go in the shower or swimming pool for 10-15 minutes, I’ll get a Lost Sensor error. It is totally unreliable and if I am out and about without my meter, I am totally lost and worried, as I do not trust the CGM readings. I have been low when it reads high and high when it reads low. When I view the graph, it shows rapidly spiking and falling dotted lines instead of solid lines because the readings are so erratic. I don’t trust the 530G and believe it to be dangerous. Other people might think I am crazy since they have had good results. But these have been my experiences. I called Medtronic today and spoke my mind to “Will”. He was disinterestedly polite. I also called the FDA to complain, which led me to DICE: Division of Industry and Consumer Education. They can be reached at 301-796-7100. They have not yet returned my call. I left Medtronic once before because of their deteriorating product quality and service. But I thought I’d give them another chance. Big mistake. I have a year and a half to go until I can get a new pump (required by my insurance company). Right now I like the looks of the Tandem t:slim and the Dexcom G4 for CGM. I would love to hear from any of you regarding my recounting of my experience, and of anybody’s experiences with the t:slim and Dexcom. I am extremely anxious to get off of this pump and the Enlite and move on. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

45. David Center
    David Center July 16, 2014 at 1:03 am | | Reply

I have been a T1 diabetic since November of 1986, and 4 years ago I started my first pump and CGM experience with Minimed and the Paradigm system. I loved it for a couple of years; but the unstable readings that I would get and the inconsistency of the bgl readings from the cgm system were too much to bear. I got off the Minimed pump and switched to OmniPod from Insulet, and switched my CGMS to Dexcom G4 Platinum. Sure, i carry around two PDA style controllers if I have to now; but the numbers are dead on about 98% of the time. The tubeless OmniPod system is great for my active job as a Paramedic, and I couldn’t be happier. there are options out there. You just have to talk with your doctor and hopefully your insurance handles the rest. I got my OmniPod system and the Dexcom G4 with zero out of pocket, and zero out of pocket for supplies.