1. David
    David October 26, 2013 at 7:06 am | | Reply

Thank you Will for putting into words the reality of the 24/7/365 black hole that is diabetes. There’s a lot going on underneath the practical elements of measuring bg, counting carbs, and taking insulin. There’s nothing I can do about the hits on my quality of life and standard of living, so no point in dwelling on it. I’m glad the unfairness of it no longer surprises me and puts me in a rage. I like being immune to oblivious insurance companies, docs, and pharmacies. I know what to do and I am doing it, one moment and one day at a time.

2. Terry Keelan
    Terry Keelan October 26, 2013 at 3:41 pm | | Reply

I hadn’t really thought about the economics of diabetes, but that’s the benefit of having good insurance, I suppose. Although I do fear losing my insurance. Hmmm. It’s complications that scare me and keep me running. The idea of going blind do to diabetes horrifies me.

1. Tim Steinert
      Tim Steinert October 26, 2013 at 5:09 pm | | Reply

Under the ACA, you cannot be discriminated against if you have a pre=existing condition–including diabetes. And they can’t charge you more for your insurance than anyone else your age. The only thing they can ask you is your age and if you smoke.

3. mcityrk
    mcityrk October 26, 2013 at 7:06 pm | | Reply

Will-

Great column, quick question…You mentioned the phenomena of glucose to blood dump when it’s not due to caloric intake. What’s the suspected mechanism for that and the behavioral modifications recommended to blunt his effect? Thanks-

4. Stephanie Bradford
    Stephanie Bradford October 27, 2013 at 6:46 am | | Reply

Good article. I calculated, before ACA passed, what I’ve spent in premiums and basic stay alive costs since I graduated college (22 years ago) and it’s upwards of $300,000. I am really, really, hopeful that ACA will alleviate some of the financial burdens.

5. bn
    bn October 27, 2013 at 3:15 pm | | Reply

Someone should construct a “Haunted House of Horrors” for Diabetes complications – though such a ‘ride’ would have to be rated ‘Mature’, due to limb amputations, blood, guts, etc…

6. Denise
    Denise October 28, 2013 at 5:53 am | | Reply

LOWS. That’s my biggest fear. I’m a non-D mom to an 11 yr old cwd, and I’m afraid of the night time. I’m afraid she won’t wake up in the morning. I”m afraid to go to sleep. And if she’s sleeping I’m afraid she might die. I am tahnkful every night for her dex by my bedside!!!! And when we’re on a long car ride and she falls asleep I secretly think she might really be unconcious. And I’m most afraid to ever ever leave her at home alone.

7. Lee
    Lee October 29, 2013 at 8:38 pm | | Reply

Great piece! Good thing Halloween is just one day I suppose. Oftentimes, when I’m tempting to indulge in to much sweet, I eat a piece or two, and throw the rest away. I know, what good is that? Well, it helps me not to go straight bonkers about it all. Thanks Will

8. Christine Curry
    Christine Curry October 31, 2013 at 10:44 pm | | Reply

Now on to the next food holiday. Thanksgiving.
    It helps me when I focus on nonfood activities and just enjoy friends and family time. Endulging is not as much an issue for me as keeping my BG’s stable. I agree that wasted time dealing with highs and lows is scarey.
    Happy holidays!! Chris

9. Amy
    Amy November 1, 2013 at 8:15 am | | Reply

As Oscar Wilde quipped, “I can resist everything but temptation.”

10. Amy
    Amy November 1, 2013 at 8:20 am | | Reply

Will, I am right there with you on the costs being my greatest fear. I KNOW that not only have I had to forgo spending on some things over my lifetime in order to afford care and supplies. But I also fear for the future…will I have enough money to retire and be diabetic? Will I have to go to some 3rd rate nursing home that treats its patients poorly. That is scary to me.

This is why I save so much for retirement. Not so I can ‘start my own vineyard’ as the commercial says, but so I can continue to be healthy and safe – even if I have to live more modestly now to do so. And I resent the fact that I have to make these choices.

11. sarah
    sarah November 1, 2013 at 4:47 pm | | Reply

The fact that you wish you could give your son more, should show you what a great father you are!
    He has you ,that’s better than any and all material “things”.
    Don’t beat yourself up, plenty of others will do it for you :)