1. Bruce Miller
    Bruce Miller September 19, 2013 at 4:13 am | | Reply

Aside from the first few months in 2008 when I was still ignorant of reality and told this was important I have not used wipes of any sort.

Even while living and working in the jungles of Central America as a conservation biologist I never, ever had any issues. As long as one’s fingers are relatively clean we (PWD) should have no problem And this is testing 6X per day to maintain a tight healthy 83-85 mg\dL range.

2. Dan
    Dan September 19, 2013 at 6:16 am | | Reply

Hi Mike,
    There is a secondary issue with using alcohol wipes. As alcohol dries, it cools the skin and as a result blood will pull away from the fingertip. Are you ready for a deeper lance for a
    drop of blood? As always have a great day.
    Dan

3. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter September 19, 2013 at 8:59 am | | Reply

I got a confirmatory email from Diabete-ezy that my order had gone through. Shipping from Australia to Wisconsin isn’t cheap ($13.35) and I ordered them mostly out of curiosity. However, so far, it looks like we in the US can order the wipes from Diabete-ezy.

1. Mary Dexter
      Mary Dexter September 28, 2013 at 2:06 pm | | Reply

My wipes came in the mail today: from Australia to Wisconsin. Opened the mailer envelope and it was all wrapped up like a little present with green ribbon and a fancy sticker. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy. I plan on using them for those moments when I’m out, go low, treat, then wonder if I’m really ok or just the dripped juice box/ glucose tablet dust making me seem so.

4. Meri
    Meri September 19, 2013 at 2:40 pm | | Reply

There is absolutely a need for these in the US. And absolutely a market for them!

5. Safepethaven
    Safepethaven September 19, 2013 at 9:04 pm | | Reply

There have been much safer alternatives to isopropyl alcohol skin preps since at least 1981, when I first became a patient of the Environmental Health Center-Dallas; they’re mainly for folks with extreme sensitivities/allergies primarily to “modern” chemicals, but also to routine allergies such as pollens, foods, etc but cannot take mainstream allergists’ antigen injections because they are [unnecessarily] preserved with toxic chemical preservatives such as formaldehyde, glycerine and others. What we were taught for skin prep prior to injections were to use Zephiran wipes [diluted active ingredient: benzalkonium chloride]. These ‘moist towlette pkgs’ are also commonplace in many physicians’ offices for use in cleansing urinary areas prior to collecting urine samples, and in ob/gyn clinics. They look similar to the towlettes packets given as hand wipes on airplanes at meal serving time. I purchased them by the box of 100 packets from mainstream sources such as Wal-Mart pharmacies, local private pharmacy, & other large chain-store pharmacies, when I was on antigen therapy, self administered after EHC-D training. We were also taught that in the absence of Zephiran chloride, a THOROUGH washing/rinsing/drying with a clean gauze pad of the skin area prior to injection, using UNscented [fewer chemical toxins] good old-fashioned hand soap was adequate in most circumstances. We were also taught that an alternative to the above, to break up bacterial colonies present on the skin surface, was to use a clean gauze pad and distilled water, sterile water, spring water, or even potable tap water, and scrub the area briskly with the moistened gauze; rinse, then dry thoroughly with another clean, dry gauze pad. After 32 years I have yet to ever contract any infections using these hygiene practices, and I’m always having to stop blood-drawing staff (who do not listen nor read the medical file nor the red wrist-band restrictions) from opening the packet of isopropyl to use on me which even the fumes of that solvent can cause severe neurological reactions, including bad headaches, muscle spasms, and even seizures. They just don’t “get” MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities).

6. Rhonda B
    Rhonda B September 20, 2013 at 7:51 am | | Reply

I will be the first to admit – I’ve gotten really lazy about wiping my fingers before testing. I wash my hands several times a day, and I’ve rarely used alcohol swabs to clean my fingers – many times, I lick a finger, wipe on my pants, and test. Gross? But, it would be nice to have some swabs around, especially at meal times when I might be eating and have questionable substances on my hands that might skew a reading, but I’m too lazy to get up and go wash my hands. I definitely can see where the swabs would be much-needed for kids with diabetes! (I think as adults, a lot of us just get lazy :) )

7. Small But Mighty: Two Families Focused on Finger Wipes | Funky Pumpers Community

[...] Small But Mighty: Two Families Focused on Finger Wipes [...]