1. Timothy Hayes
    Timothy Hayes September 3, 2013 at 9:46 am | | Reply

The Diabetes Sentry (formerly “Sleep Sentry”) is now back on the market. A truly non-invasive medical device, primarily to be worn at night, which sounds a loud alarm when either of two symptoms of hypoglycemia are occurring, perspiration or drop in skin temperature. The web site is http://www.diabetessentry.com.

The only diabetic who cannot benefit from this device is the hypoglycemia unaware patient. Even those diabetics on oral meds only are warned that the meds tend to drive the blood sugar as close to normal as possible which increases the risk of going low.

2. Amanda Cedrone
    Amanda Cedrone September 3, 2013 at 12:14 pm | | Reply

Thanks for this, Timothy! While the Sentry is FDA approved and available, it looks like it has the same problems that Dr. Ginsberg referred to in the post. The FAQ section of diabetessentry.com reads: “Will the Diabetes Sentry® alarm sound for reasons other than Hypoglycemia? -Yes. These are called “false positives” and occur whenever perspiration is present or a drop in temperature occurs.”

3. Kathleen Weaver
    Kathleen Weaver September 3, 2013 at 6:16 pm | | Reply

But you forgot the Diabetes Detection Dog. Mine has worked quite well this summer.

4. Richard
    Richard September 3, 2013 at 11:05 pm | | Reply

As I see it, preventing lows works better than having an alarm wake one up due to a low. It is possible to prevent nighttime lows with a combination of the pump, CGM and diet. By setting the pump basal rate carefully and having no active insulin at bedtime the result will be no lows most nights except for unexpected sensor errors, illness or excess physical activity.

5. Amanda Cedrone
    Amanda Cedrone September 4, 2013 at 2:51 pm | | Reply

Hi Kathleen – you’re right. The detection dog is another non-invasive option that we’ve discussed in the past (http://bit.ly/15KsP8E). Thanks for pointing that out.

Richard – there is definitely something to be said for setting the correct nighttime basal. Unfortunately, as you probably know, it doesn’t always prevent lows while we’re sleeping.

6. Jessica Beer
    Jessica Beer September 6, 2013 at 4:47 am | | Reply

DropSense is an example of the kind of innovative thinking that is sorely lacking in research and development of type 1 technology. The two peices of technology our family has in reach at a moments notice are a smartphone and an Omnipod PDM. How is it possible that the technology available to find a Starbucks in the middle of nowhere is available at the touch of a button on a smartphone but the most advanced pump technology necessary to keep a person alive is from the dark ages? The differences in form and function are disappointingly striking.

7. Cecilia Garcia
    Cecilia Garcia September 6, 2013 at 9:22 am | | Reply

8. sue whittier
    sue whittier September 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm | | Reply

I have to agree with Dr. Ginsberg – symptoms change with age / activity and definitely hormones – so an external hypoglycaemic alert monitor has to ‘see’ through all that. The best nocturnal monitor I ever had was a team of two cats – one was the brains / the other the worker – the brains would jump up and sit on my bed – the worker would come over and start poking his nose in my face until I came to – always hypo. Maybe these researchers need to once again start withe feline / canine experts and go from there!

9. Mary Helen Urias
    Mary Helen Urias June 28, 2014 at 4:55 pm | | Reply

Have had 3 frightening low sugar episodes, have cut down on Lantus at night and make sure I eat a bowel of cereal for snack. Hopefully, this will help. If I wake up with high sugars, I give myself insulin and can detect a sugar low better during the day than at night. Hope someone discovers a great nighttime device. I will definitely buy it. Am having stress when I go to sleep at night. will I wake up or not.

10. Jane Barnhart linn
    Jane Barnhart linn July 20, 2014 at 12:17 am | | Reply

Please alert me with any new developments!