1. susan f
    susan f September 29, 2013 at 11:25 am | | Reply

I’m curious if the low glucose suspend is always 2 hours or is configurable. For years I have used a 1 hr temp basal of 0 to ward off lows. A 2 hr temp basal for 0 actually WILL toss me above the 200′s…

2. chris
    chris September 29, 2013 at 3:22 pm | | Reply

Can existing Medtronic cgm users use the new elite sensor?

3. John
    John September 29, 2013 at 5:54 pm | | Reply

Another band aid. Sub-q, sub-dangerous. How about we get away from pumps and start actually getting a treatment to the bedside that is truly revolutionary. Oh wait! That makes sense.

It would be nice if you all would hold the non-for-profits accountable instead of being their advertisers.

1. Jim
      Jim September 30, 2013 at 7:09 am | | Reply

Do tell John a treatment that is revolutionary that that is not a pump that is even close to being approved by the FDA. I suspect that is a big zero.

4. StephenS
    StephenS September 30, 2013 at 7:08 am | | Reply

Mike, thanks for pointing out the plusses and minuses here.

I’m excited about the approval of this device. Partly because it’s a step forward, but also partly because it will hopefully make approval easier for successive devices with LGS and maybe more.

I’m with you on the name though. Everyone knows what an iPhone is, but no one will remember 530G (although I just did). Thanks

5. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter September 30, 2013 at 7:40 am | | Reply

Since my problem with my last Medtronic pump was that it didn’t give me insulin when it said it was, having a pump designed not to give me insulin doesn’t excite me.

6. Scott E
    Scott E September 30, 2013 at 5:40 pm | | Reply

Does the Veo also suspend only if alarms go unacknowledged, or is that yet another consequence of the FDA’s “we’re not really sure if it’s safe to do this” mentality?

Personally, I think the abysmal name of the pump is a last minute response to the V-Go patch pump, which could be easily mistaken for the Medtronic product.

7. Richard
    Richard September 30, 2013 at 8:46 pm | | Reply

I like the improved accuraccy and readability of the face.

8. Doug
    Doug October 1, 2013 at 8:05 am | | Reply

At the Dallas JDRF walk – I made the mistake of stopping by the Medtronic Booth to show my GF the pump. The medtronic staff met my expectations by attacking with a sales pitch that culminated in her asking me what my qualifications were to judge their previous sensors as inaccurate. My qualifications ? Im not a scientist – Im a potential customer with an opinion that is formed from the facts presented by scientists in the marketplace. As great as it is that the FDA approved a pump with this technology it reinforces my pledge to NEVER buy anything from Medtronic, Since Saturday Ive researched the new Enlite Sensor – its MARD numbers are still 20% or so behind Dexcom. So in fact my assertion was right, the sensor is still behind the rest of the market and too inaccurate to be trusted for making corrections …

9. John
    John October 1, 2013 at 12:42 pm | | Reply

A pump is only as good as the commitment of its user. The fact remains that CGSM’s are not fool proof. They are a TRENDING device. Anything sub-q is a joke and slow to respond. I guess you can make ultra powerful insulin but then people will screw up their boluses and end up the emergency room.

I’m not sold on the pumps or CGSM as they are band aides. Start holding the FDA (for costs of a trial), big pharma, and no-for-profits accountable.

The JDRF continues to advertise for a CURE and yet their actual spend reveals the opposite.

Wake up.

10. Minimed® 530G with Enlite®. Five questions. | Diabetes Blog - Happy-Medium.net

[...] be referencing here. If you’d like, feel free to read their story, then come back here. http://www.diabetesmine.com/2013/09/new-medtronic-device-gets-fdas-nod-but-dont-call-it-the-veo.html     Now, the [...]

11. God
    God October 7, 2013 at 10:43 am | | Reply

Great article Mike. If I remember correctly, you wrote an article recently where you were tired about waiting for this and decided to go with dexcom and maybe a tandem. Thoughts now? Isn’t timing a you-know-what?