1. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter September 7, 2013 at 9:13 am | | Reply

Sorry to hear about your patient. It is scandalous that patients are being denied access to insulin in this country. The 100 Campaign focuses mostly on children in Third World countries. Maybe if the US adults were photographed looking adorably cute and forlorn. But, no, the media teaches that it’s all our fault and if we’d just stop eating and weren’t so lazy, we’d stop being a burden (we would, because we’d die at the rates diabetics died pre-Banting). We need to get angry. We need to rally and march and make the truth known.

2. Scott E
    Scott E September 7, 2013 at 12:03 pm | | Reply

When I hear of struggles for people with high-deductibles, I always think there’s an easy solution — the Flexible Spending Account provided by most employers. This account allows you to put an amount (of your choosing, up to a maximum) into an account, pre-tax, which you can then draw from to pay medical expenses. The pre-tax part is nice, but the valuable part is that you can draw from the account in amounts that haven’t been contributed yet.

So if a plan requires $1200 to be paid out-of-pocket before covering anything, and that $1200 is exhausted in the first three months, put in $100 per month to an FSA. It spreads the cost of those first three months to twelve, and you’ve only paid $300 by the end of March.

And if you leave the job before the year ends? You win. You can draw out your annual election and only contribute until the time you leave. (Conversely, if you don’t use all the money in your FSA by the end of the year, you lose it).

Am I missing something? I hope this helps some folks out there.

3. Kristin W
    Kristin W September 7, 2013 at 9:46 pm | | Reply

I lost my FT professional job over two years ago, and have been trying to find my next one since then. COBRA ran out about a year ago. I started working as a salesperson on the floor of a major big box home improvement retailer at that time, bc I heard and read they have health insurance for part-timers. (Well,, they sort of do, but it caps out before even one month of prescriptions would be paid for, so…. not worth it for me.) I have a “last ditch” plan which is the result of my state (PA) and a major health insurer, for which I pay $500 a month. Last month, I paid $900 for my insulin and test strips -a 3 months supply. (This after they made me switch from Humalog to Novolog.) I can’t afford this. My (retired, pretty old) parents paid for it for me. I am not proud of that, but didn’t know what else to do. (My mom reminded me of when insulin cost her $1.25 a bottle for me back in the day – over 30 years ago!) Going to switch back to R after this refill is gone, so it will be more affordable. Also had the discussion with my mom, and anyone else who would listen to my rant, about insurance companies trying to kill us off by making it impossible to afford being diabetic, so we would get off their books…) Sad and shameful in this country, “the land of plenty,” and ironic that when I HAD a job and could afford and was willing to pay more for diabetes stuff, it cost me a lot less Now that I have negligible income, I am charged much more. :-(

4. David
    David September 8, 2013 at 10:45 am | | Reply

Flexible Spending Plans are a great concept but they are not that common.

5. bln
    bln September 8, 2013 at 8:39 pm | | Reply

This is bad for type 1′s and insulin-dependent type 2′s. Seems the ADA could use its resources to get behind the effort to make insulins more available and affordable…

6. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell September 9, 2013 at 10:28 am | | Reply

I use CVS Careless-mark to fill my insulin orders. A 3-month supply of ‘any’ insulin is $100 — for those with insurance I know this sounds cheap. But that’s about a 60% from last year.

Oh, and Careless-mark won’t cover Humalog. As I have a Tandem, Apidra doesn’t work. With leaves me with a huge choice of…Novolog. Really sucks.

7. Jay Kauffman
    Jay Kauffman September 10, 2013 at 10:08 am | | Reply

I post my pharmacy receipts on Facebook occasionally so people can get a little taste of what things like insulin and test strips cost. Every several months the price goes up a few percentage points.

I wish someone would organize a serious effort to protest the constant and unconscionable rise of costs for essential medical supplies for chronic disease sufferers.

8. Lucia Maya
    Lucia Maya September 12, 2013 at 10:28 pm | | Reply

I don’t have insurance and have found that ordering insulin from Canadian pharmacies (they’re actually reputable ones and they require prescriptions) is about 1/3rd the cost of even the least expensive here (Costco). They have Novolog and Humalog, etc.. I’ve also gotten coupons at times from my CDE for free Humalog pens – worth asking about.

Last, I use the Walmart Relion meter and strips, very accurate and about 1/3rd the cost of all name brand strips.

These 2 things make a huge difference to me! I’m hoping to have insurance Jan 1 when ACA goes into effect, and looking forward to having insurance that covers supplies again!

9. Kathleen Stockwell
    Kathleen Stockwell September 15, 2013 at 6:05 pm | | Reply

I don’t know if i’m in the right place to get a question answered, i hope you can help me. My husband has type ll diabetes. He pretty much doesn’t do anything he’s supposed to and eats mostly heavily sugared foods, but he HAS been monitoring his blood sugar for the last two months and the readings are very low. He takes glucophage, glipozide and januvia. Is it possible he’s getting too high a dose of them combined? It doesn’t make sense that a diabetic who eats mostly ice cream, pudding with sweetened whipped cream, donuts, etc would have such low readings. Even the fruits he eats are high in sugar (5 lb bag of grapes) at a sitting and he buys shakes at fast food places every time he goes somewhere. He’s been told his diabetes is diet controllable but doesn’t care.
    Thanks. If this is the wrong forum can you direct me?