1. tmana
    tmana September 28, 2013 at 4:46 am | | Reply

One of the issues in complications/early death with Type 2 is delay in diagnosis. Type 1s have a typical syndrome (polyuria, polydipsia, hunger, weight loss, lethargy). Most Type 2 is silent, at least during its earlier stages. Type 2 is often an incidental finding after a group screening, or when blood is drawn for other reasons.

Undiagnosed non-LADA Type 1 kills so quickly that, at least in the “developed” world, it’s hard to not see it and go to a doctor or emergency room, where it is diagnosed. Not so with Type 2. The idea has been proposed that the average person with Type 2 has been living with the condition for a decade before it is diagnosed — ample time for damage to develop.

My follow-on question to this would be, do we have any studies and statistics on LADA (especially as opposed to frank adult-onset Type 1)? In the DOC, it appears that many people with LADA are misdiagnosed (as Type 2) and not given insulin (or the appropriate antibody tests) for as long as two years after initial (Type 2) diagnosis.

1. Tim Steinert
      Tim Steinert September 29, 2013 at 10:00 am | | Reply

Your third paragraph pertains to me. Anecdotally, I was not given MEALTIME insulin for 18 months, because I was in my honeymoon period (which means for me that I still had sufficient pancreatic function to get by with long-acting insulin and oral meds). The only REAL damage this did to ME was psychological, because I already knew how serious diabetes was (I have a Type 1 brother diagnosed when I was in first grade and I was diagnosed in 39th grade).

The only difference in treatment for me was mealtime insulin and more aggressive pursuit of preventative heart health measures. I was fortunate, but my experience is unique.

2. Mike Ratrie
    Mike Ratrie September 28, 2013 at 5:21 am | | Reply

Dear Kindly Wil Dubois-y,
    Ya gotta understand.
    My type of D is nois-y,
    it’s gotten out of hand,
    My carb countin’ is funky,
    My insulin don’t work,
    Holy Moses – that’s why I’m a jerk!

Thanks for the morning laugh, and a great blog post!

3. Tim Steinert
    Tim Steinert September 28, 2013 at 9:46 am | | Reply

One thing you didn’t factor in is Type 1 vs. Type 2 prevalence. That would also give the mortality numbers more meaning. If, worst-case, Type 1s are 10% of the population worldwide, that means, just by percentages, it’s a wash. But if Type 1s are less than 10%, say 9%,, Type 1 mortality is worse.

JUST on the MATH. So it’s either a wash, mortality-wise, or Type 1s die more, percentage-wise, than those with Type 2

1. Tim Steinert
      Tim Steinert September 28, 2013 at 9:48 am | | Reply

And, if Type 1 is more prevalent than 10%, then Type 2 is worse.

2. Tim Steinert
      Tim Steinert September 30, 2013 at 6:54 pm | | Reply

!0% of the DIABETIC population.

4. Brad Hinesley
    Brad Hinesley September 28, 2013 at 7:57 pm | | Reply

Well, gee, I’m a type 2 diagnosed last year- thanks for scaring the bejusus outta me! ;) Good article!

1. Tim Steinert
      Tim Steinert September 29, 2013 at 2:28 am | | Reply

Well-controlled diabetes is the leading cause of nothing.

5. Joe
    Joe September 29, 2013 at 5:22 am | | Reply

I have to say that I agree with having the s***! scared out of me by this article.
    T2 here with tight control and good Hbac13′s.
    Personally in my case my Bipolar disorder is probably going to do me before the diabetes ever does.

6. Ask D:Mine: And the ‘Worst’ Type of Diabetes Is… : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog | Brad's Space & Beyond.

[...] Ask D:Mine: And the ‘Worst’ Type of Diabetes Is… : DiabetesMine: the all things diabet…. [...]

7. Allison
    Allison October 2, 2013 at 8:26 am | | Reply

“The same report states that type 1s “traditionally” had a 20-year reduction in lifespan.” Thats a thought I will try to eject from my brain forever! So basically if without T1 I would live to 80, then i’ll be lucky to get past 60 with T1 Yikes!

8. Caroline Yeager, M.D.
    Caroline Yeager, M.D. October 3, 2013 at 10:40 pm | | Reply

The worst type of diabetes is the kind caused by undiagnosed hypothroidism, or hypothyroidism that is improperly treated, a common condition these days.

Did you know that low thyroid causes increased blood sugar?

Another candidate for worst kind of diabetes is the T2 where a patient is not educated, given metformin, not told to monitor BG, and wonders why the A1c keeps creeping up. It happens to boomers all the time.

9. sue whittier
    sue whittier October 4, 2013 at 7:28 am | | Reply

Thanks for the humour – Will – I almost laughed out loud when I read ” Where you get your diabetes matters to how bad your complications ….” for the past 6 years I’ve found myself as the little guy in a primarily Type2 diabetes population – it’s nearly impossible to get these ‘new ‘ physicians to differentiate between 1&2 – with the exception of the opthomologists – and lucky for me the original opthomologists did a more than terrific job at stopping the retinopathy – 25 years ago – still have great vision. So my response would be – the worst kind of diabetes to have is the one that 90% of those visiting the MD don’t have!!! :)