1. StephenS
    StephenS August 21, 2013 at 5:51 am | | Reply

Mike, thanks for the rundown of this interesting technology. Hopefully, progress will continue to be made.

2. michelle
    michelle August 21, 2013 at 7:14 am | | Reply

While advances are great, and I’m glad there are people looking into these things, the fact is that some of us are wearing CGMs for 14 days now. There is no way we’d be willing to change cgm sites every 3 days given that accuracy only improves the longer the sensors are worn. Until they can make a infusion site last as long as a CGM site this isn’t something I’m willing to break out my pom poms for.

1. Scott E
      Scott E August 22, 2013 at 4:50 am | | Reply

Michelle brings up an excellent point. If we can achieve the technology, will there be a real market for it? I don’t know the answer to that — surely the future devices will be superior to those of the present, but there’s something quite unattractive about spending 1 of 3 days with the CGM being somewhat inaccurate, and being in “warm-up mode” two hours right after a site-change can be risky (not to mention achieving a flat, steady BG right after the site change for first calibration)

3. Skye
    Skye August 21, 2013 at 4:27 pm | | Reply

I agree with MIchelle. I’m going on day 18 with my most recent G4 sensor and its still going strong (its starting to itch, but doesn’t hurt and it still pretty darn accurate). I like the idea of an integrated site, but it isn’t the CGM portion that needs help in my opinion.

1. Ken S
      Ken S August 22, 2013 at 2:55 am | | Reply

Things move quickly that’s for sure. Great informative article. Guess we will wait and see what happens.

4. Paul
    Paul August 21, 2013 at 10:49 pm | | Reply

Emerging technology may leapfrog this whole discussion. Check the Symphony Non-invasive CGM (now in clinical trials) by Echo Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq:ECTE) which uses a revolutionary technology which does not involve a cannula sensor insertion.

5. Elizabeth
    Elizabeth August 22, 2013 at 2:47 pm | | Reply

I’m disappointed that OmniPod’s efforts seem to be veering in the wrong direction! I was so excited when it seemed they’d be integrating the PDM and CGM receiver into one device (like MM) so we’d only have one device to carry around. I don’t care about having to stick myself twice, and don’t really mind wearing my sensor and pod in two separate places. I’m used to it, and I’d wager that the vast majority of us feel the same. But having to make sure to bring both my PDM and receiver everywhere? Trying not to lose two separate devices around the house? That’s my real issue. I really wish that was the integration they’d focus on…As everyone’s said, I have no interest in changing the sensor every 3 days when it would be inaccurate 66% of its lifetime. I really wonder if they even bothered consulting focus groups to make these decisions, or if they did, whether they asked those focus groups the right questions in the right way.

6. Richard
    Richard August 22, 2013 at 10:23 pm | | Reply

I agree big with you. Changing every three days would be a step backwards, not even considering the cost.

7. Steve
    Steve October 8, 2013 at 4:27 pm | | Reply

I have been an diabetic for 52 years and have been on the pump since 1999. I became a diabetic at the age of 11 and remember boiling my syringe(glass) and needle(steel) and sometimes filing the burr of the needle due to many uses. What an innovation and i have been glad to be part of the changes. In 1964 I was involved in a study at the Joslin Clinic Boston,Ma.I had a two catheters one inserted into each arm, one filled with an fast acting insulin and the other with glucose while computer read my sugar levels and administered medication needed. I am now retired and available for any trial testing to be administered.
    Regards, Steve

8. Ak
    Ak March 15, 2014 at 3:40 pm | | Reply

I don’t understand why some people say they wouldn’t be interested, as the site would need changing 3 days but they are currently getting much longer with their cgm. Obviously the longer you can keep the site on without changing the better( and I know about the accuracy), but if the cgm was part of the pod/ set then why would it matter? Everyone with a pump changes every 3 days anyway, so all it would do is make thinking about cgm as a separate entity a thing of the past. When u change the site, then your up and running as you were before. I only see benifits. One site, no thinking about cgm sensors. And I imagine that they would only bring it to market when a sensor is running accurately from start up to day 3 for it to be beneficial. I’m sure it will happen before too long and it’s good to see lots of companies at it !