1. Riva
    Riva August 1, 2013 at 5:19 am | | Reply

I lived in Tokyo six years and loved it. What a nice trip back Jeremy, and fun way to remind people to monitor their blood sugar and that being in range is possible.

One tip however – 70-130 mg/dl is the ADA’s recommendation upon waking and before meals. Your close should reflect that. Few of us can be in that range two hours after a meal, and frankly if we were, it would probably lead to hypoglycemia before one’s next meal.

2. 70-130
    70-130 August 1, 2013 at 6:10 am | | Reply

Thanks for the article DM!

Riva, yes you are right. The video (and my website) do say *fasting* (pre-prandial) BG of 70-130. I wouldn’t want to be lower than 130 right after eating.

3. Elise X. Howe
    Elise X. Howe August 1, 2013 at 8:47 am | | Reply

I just began taking Amayrl ( a sulfa med) for my diabetes. I have been on the med for about a week. My readings are very good, but my bedtime reading seem to be somewhat lower. They range from 80-130. I read that one should eat a snack if the bedtime reading is lower than 180. Is this correct?

4. 70-130
    70-130 August 1, 2013 at 4:34 pm | | Reply

Elise,

I’m not sure what the “rule” is for pre-bed BG. Personally, it depends on how I feel and what I ate before. Sometimes 150 would feel ok (like if I ate a lot) but sometimes 150 would seem to low (like if dinner was long ago and I felt like I might be trending down). I sometimes set an alarm to wake up around 3 am to make sure I’m not low. I think many diabetics like to be over 160 or so before bed. I would almost never have a snack if I was 180 though.

5. Sarah
    Sarah August 1, 2013 at 9:03 pm | | Reply

Sorry if I’m your first less than positive reaction….

I’m not on board with the concept of “good” numbers and “bad” numbers. What you get from your meter is information that you use to make a decision. That’s it. The value judgements attached to glucose numbers drives me nuts. 390? Thanks for checking. Correct and move on. 45? Eat some carbs, check again in 15, move along. 95? Carry on. Removing the guilt associated with out of range numbers works more effectively to increase the frequency BG checking than anything else I’ve seen. It took years for me to reach a place where I stopped having an emotional response to what was on the meter. And when that subsided, I checked more and my A1C went down.

Rock the number you’ve got in your videos – forget the staging. Encourage BG checking for the sake of the information it gives you, not for the sake of meeting an impossible standard.

6. 70-130
    70-130 August 2, 2013 at 4:41 am | | Reply

Sarah,

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure I understand your point because we seem to be in total agreement on the value of and reasons for checking BG: Diabetics who don’t check enough should check. If not in range, they should fix it.

If you feel guilt and it dissuades you from checking, then your way sounds very helpful. Others may actually be motivated by guilt, or feel no guilt at all about BGs. Whatever works for an individual diabetic to check enough is ok by me.

7. Jane
    Jane August 3, 2013 at 5:20 pm | | Reply

Thanks for this feature. I now have an additional resource for foreigners with diabetes who are moving to Japan.

8. Laurie Dyer
    Laurie Dyer September 8, 2013 at 3:10 pm | | Reply

Great story! I have been working with my daughter since her diagnosis last Christmas Eve. She’s ten and coping very well, better than me sometimes. After she returned fron camp this summer we continued the tradition of getting a silver dollar when her meter reads “100″ exactly. A few weeks ago it read 101. She said jokingly, “My meter is mocking me…see it says lol.” We realize she’s not going to hit perfect numbers all the time, but it’s fun to make a little game of it, at least some of the time. Bravo to you!