1. June S.
    June S. August 14, 2013 at 7:17 am | | Reply

I just wish every school had a nurse willing and able to administer insulin to the all the Type I diabetic students enrolled. I was diagnosed at the age of 16, and took NPH and Regular at the time, so I never needed to take a shot of insulin at school back in those days. We do need to remember that insulin is a dangerous drug, if administered incorrectly. I quote from the late, great, Dr. George S. Eisenbarth, who (in an interview with A Sweet Life a few years ago) said: “Insulin is one of the most dangerous drugs that we have. There are very few drugs where if you give twice as much as you should have given, at a given time, it could make someone have a seizure or fall unconscious.” – See more at: http://asweetlife.org/feature/interview-with-dr-george-eisenbarth/#sthash.FdZxd4XL.dpuf

2. David
    David August 14, 2013 at 7:50 am | | Reply

Hooray, this will make life much, much easier for parents and schools. I wonder what nurses who have T1 children think of this ruling?

3. Sandi
    Sandi August 14, 2013 at 6:40 pm | | Reply

I’m surprised that T1 families in California didn’t simply move to another state where their child could be cared for properly.

4. Benjol
    Benjol August 14, 2013 at 10:47 pm | | Reply

What happens if the teacher isn’t comfortable with performing the injections? Doesn’t this now put pressure on them?

5. Kassie
    Kassie August 15, 2013 at 2:58 am | | Reply

Of course this is a good thing and makes sense given that unlicensed people give insulin shots all the time. To me, though, it does sort of make it harder for families to advocate for funding school nurses because any willing teacher or staff member can manage your child’s diabetes. We have a full time nurse in all our schools and that is increasingly seen as a luxury but I think (for kids with d, allergies, asthma, etc) it’s a necessity.

6. Lisa
    Lisa August 15, 2013 at 9:46 pm | | Reply

Sorry but as a school nurse I feel this is a dangerous loophole.. If you read the ruling carefully it says that unliscenced “volunteers” can admin insulin but if no one volunteers the school is NOT responsible to find someone.. Who do you guys think is gonna volunteer for such a commitment?? To have a child’s life in their hands?? I know it sounds easy to manage diabetes but it’s not and I would NOT allow my child to be cared for by anything but a medical professional.. Infact this ruling is going to make it harder for the families because now the school will be off the hook to provide someone and I can guarantee teachers are not gonna “volunteer”.. So it’s going to be up to the
    Parents to find a “volunteer” to do it or they will have to do it.. I’m sorry but I am gonna give everyone a big fat I told you so when this hits the fan… I don’t understand how people clearly don’t see what’s right in front of them.. Are kids are suppose to be number 1 and yet are actions show otherwise.. I hope America wakes the heck up soon.. Any country that treats the elderly and young so low is doomed…

7. Teresa
    Teresa March 28, 2014 at 7:34 am | | Reply

This is a slippery slope. On the one hand, it makes sense to make the management of diabetes or asthma or allergies as easy as possible at school and you are correct that laypersons handle insulin injections all the time. With school nurses a rare luxury, parents can’t be expected to leave work to handle this task. And yet, there are potential problems. What if the parents and school do not agree on a management plan? What if the child’s diabetes is not being managed appropriately at home? Is a school volunteer going to want to take on the responsibility for that situation? Our schools are increasingly handing more and more challenging health situations over to secretaries, paras, and teachers as they cut school nurse positions. This ruling will further that trend.