1. Mary Gabel
    Mary Gabel August 26, 2013 at 10:06 am | | Reply

As the mother of Ms. Heather Gabel, I am a bit biased I suppose. But, when you have a child who is diagnosed with T1D you likely have little to no personal knowledge of how to react on an emotional level. I least I didn’t. I can only imagine what a difference it could make to have a young adult who is currently living, surviving, thriving, and loving life assure your child that their life can be so full and rewarding. These programs are so important. Not only for the newly diagnosed, and their loved ones, but also for those young adults that participate as mentors. I have no doubt that Heather and Sarah, and my grand dog Lancet will have long and prosperous lives as they make their way through inspiring others.

1. Heather Gabel
      Heather Gabel August 29, 2013 at 3:52 pm | | Reply

Aw, shucks ma. :-D

2. Molly Johannes
    Molly Johannes August 26, 2013 at 10:12 am | | Reply

Heather, you are amazing! I am so glad that we met at FFL this year and I can’t wait to see the places you go with all this. You know I’m only a text, call, or snapchat away if you ever need any input!

1. Heather Gabel
      Heather Gabel August 29, 2013 at 3:52 pm | | Reply

Molly, dearest! I miss you and our awesome group at FFL. I wish life was like that all the time. Wouldn’t that be the bee’s knees? And girl, I will certainly hit you up with questions. I hope school is awesome for you this semester. I’ll make sure to keep up with your blog posts in the Sweet Life. Keep rockin’ it.

3. Rich the Diabetic
    Rich the Diabetic August 26, 2013 at 2:07 pm | | Reply

Wow Heather! You told me a little about this when we met in Chicago, but I had no idea how amazing it all was. You’re so humble, . . . and inspiring. Bright blessings to you Heather.

1. Heather Gabel
      Heather Gabel August 29, 2013 at 3:50 pm | | Reply

Rich, thank you for your kind words and blessings. It was such a treat to meet you! Mike Hoskins really wrote the article well and I am so thankful for that. Reading your blog is great to keep up with you, but I hope to see you at more conferences and D events in the future. :-)

4. Shane Walker
    Shane Walker August 26, 2013 at 4:31 pm | | Reply

This woman is a KEEPER. Keep up the good work. Keep on smiling. Keep making a difference. Keep showing others what is possible.

1. Heather Gabel
      Heather Gabel August 29, 2013 at 3:48 pm | | Reply

Thank you Shane. I’ll move onward, my friend. Onward.

5. Scott
    Scott August 29, 2013 at 4:05 am | | Reply

I can relate to this post, as my son has had type 1 diabetes since the age of 2 (he’s 18 now). The ability to connect with other young people who have diabetes has been a great help to my son. Good for you Heather.

1. Heather Gabel
      Heather Gabel August 29, 2013 at 3:47 pm | | Reply

Thank you Scott. Do you think your son would have benefitted from such a program? We are considering spending effort working to create a training toolkit for healthcare teams that centers on restructuring the “welcome to type 1″ diagnosis message. How was your experience at diagnosis? How could it have been better?