1. Scott E
    Scott E August 31, 2013 at 6:00 am | | Reply

I worry a bit about the variance of non-coded (or “Phoenix-ash” coded) meters. Before, I knew that the strips were tested and, if slightly inaccurate, the code would be altered. Now I feel like a strip which (today) always has the same code might be “good enough” to get stamped 25 when, in actuality, 24 might be closer to reality.

As for quantities in packaging, I remember when BD changed their packaging of old-school syringes from boxes of 100 to boxes of 90 (for those distributed via mail order, anyway). It works with the “x per day” philosophy and it made perfect sense, but I haven’t seen anyone else follow suit. (I wonder of the price per box changed when they did that?).

2. Kristin W
    Kristin W August 31, 2013 at 12:47 pm | | Reply

Which health insurance company covers “a few more strips than you ‘need’?” Mine covers “up to” 90 days supply, so they SHORT me each quarter!! With both strips and insulin….!

1. Amy
      Amy September 6, 2013 at 7:25 am | | Reply

I recommend having your doc write an RX for more than you need for a 90 days supply. That way, it will carry over until your insurance ‘lets’ you order more under the plan.

3. mollyjade
    mollyjade September 1, 2013 at 9:08 pm | | Reply

The bottles of 50/100 is so annoying. Insurance won’t give more than 30 day supply, so we either have to exaggerate how often I test my blood sugar to get a number divisible by 50 or the insurance company graciously allows me to buy new strips every 22 days.

4. Doug
    Doug September 3, 2013 at 7:58 am | | Reply

Ive been using coded meters since diagnosis 25 years ago and since then Ive done some “testing” with the codes – intentionally setting the meter as far off in every direction as possible and have yet to see a significant difference. Ive also used Freestyle coded strips in a non coded freestyle meter and vice versa – again NO significant difference in readings

This is all because the BEST strip coded or not coded correctly is only accurate + or minus 20% – which means – its nearly a wild guess – your BG is either 240 or 288 or 192 – or somewhere in the middle …

5. Chris
    Chris September 9, 2013 at 2:13 pm | | Reply

I am a parent of a CWD and we have prescriptions for testing up to 12 times a day. Six is great on a normal day but what about a day where you are really active or very sick? It seems that everyone’s Dr should throw a couple extra tests in the prescription to cover the unknown. We have plenty of days where we tested 12 times. We have also had to throw away unused strips due to human error. And we keep a supply at school. Why should it only be six?