1. Brian (bsc)
    Brian (bsc) August 28, 2013 at 4:40 am | | Reply

Thanks for writing about this. I also had a chance to talk with Ms. Malloy. I find the UVA approach interesting as it doesn’t use glucagon. This may well turn out to be a big factor in an artificial pancreas as glucagon presents major difficulties. But, it does mean that there are more safety challenges as insulin delivery needs to be suspended preemptively to avoid lows (as opposed to using glucagon to respond to lows). The system has been tested for short low intensity exercise (30 minutes at 50% VO2max), but may have difficulty with harder and longer exercise. This is also likely the reason that the target level is higher than one might expect, the system needs to maintain some margin against unanticipated lows that cannot be treated with suspension of the pump. Even with some limitations, such a closed loop system could make a big difference to control with modest added cost to existing pump and CGM technology.

2. StephenS
    StephenS August 28, 2013 at 6:01 am | | Reply

Molly is fantastic, with a great story to tell. Thanks for sharing it here!

3. Megan
    Megan August 28, 2013 at 8:57 am | | Reply

Thank you for posting this article and featuring Molly! She is such an intelligent person and it is so great to know that a person with Diabetes is working on this project! I don’t know Molly in person, just in some Diabetic support groups on Facebook and I have spoke to her on the phone about this project in the past. It gives those of us with Diabetes more hope and a light at the end of the tunnel to make our lives a little bit better!

4. Dan C.
    Dan C. August 28, 2013 at 5:04 pm | | Reply

Thank you very much for posting this important article and for featuring Molly! I have been in several studies at the Center for Diabetes Technology at the University of Virginia and consider Molly to be my friend. Not only does she have the experience and the brains for this research, Molly has the heart for it and the Center for Diabetes Technology is blessed to have her on their team. These artificial pancreas trials are vital to the future of all with type 1 diabetes, and I greatly appreciate the hard work and dedication of the whole team at the Center for Diabetes Technology.

5. Jim H.
    Jim H. August 29, 2013 at 10:17 pm | | Reply

I’m a type 1 diabetic for 34yrs. I’ve been on the pump for 4yrs. I’ve lost the feeling of going low for yrs. I was on a glucose monitoring system but it couldn’t keep up with my high or lows. It would go off constantly when it was set to go off below 80. So I quit using it. I can still talk to anyone at 30 or 40. Still have no felling. I’ve been going to the VA clinic for 2yrs. They want my A1C to be a 7 or 8. I’ve been a 5.8& a 5.7 I told them you will never see a 7 or 8.I would like to be on the clinical trails you have my e-mail address so let me know thanks

6. Molly McElwee-Malloy
    Molly McElwee-Malloy September 3, 2013 at 10:29 am | | Reply

If you are interested in clinical trials, you can email me at artificialpancreas AT virginia DOT edu or contact me via twitter @MollyMacT1D

7. Therese
    Therese September 26, 2013 at 4:40 am | | Reply

This sounds great! Any time aspect, that is, when can it be on the market?