1. Julie
    Julie August 6, 2013 at 8:50 am | | Reply

Wonderfully said Meri!

2. Karen
    Karen August 6, 2013 at 9:04 am | | Reply

Very well written. Thank you for this response.

3. Lora
    Lora August 6, 2013 at 9:20 am | | Reply

I think I meant to say “was there a study done on HIS future self”… I don’t think a study on me would be a good idea. lol

Great post, as usual, I Completely agree that we are mostly looking for the feeling of “same”. Knowing that we are not alone is huge and I think it helps me deal with those challenges when they come up.

4. Racheal
    Racheal August 6, 2013 at 9:22 am | | Reply

Meri you’re awesome! Great thorough response. Thank you for showing why us D-parents do what we do! :)

5. Jessica Perez
    Jessica Perez August 6, 2013 at 9:30 am | | Reply

Awesome Meri! As always!!!! And thank you!!!

6. Misty
    Misty August 6, 2013 at 9:32 am | | Reply

So happy that Meri was the one chosen to respond on behalf of all of the D parents out here. I love her post here and I love her!

7. Lora
    Lora August 6, 2013 at 9:42 am | | Reply

I think I meant “has there been a study on HIS future self”, I must have been tired when I typed that(lol). Plus, a study on me might me a little SCARY ;)

Great job telling the other side of the story, Meri. I couldn’t think of a better person to represent me.

8. k2
    k2 August 6, 2013 at 9:54 am | | Reply

Beautiful, from the heart and right on point!
    Xoxo!

9. Christina
    Christina August 6, 2013 at 10:02 am | | Reply

Spot on Meri. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and thank you Dmine for sharing Meri’s thoughts with us.

10. Cindy
    Cindy August 6, 2013 at 10:25 am | | Reply

Spot on!!!!!!

11. Toby
    Toby August 6, 2013 at 10:33 am | | Reply

I am a father of a T1D child (10 year-old) diagnosed at age 6. I would also like to add that I think this is great post that speaks well for how my wife and I view taking care of our child. Thank you!

12. Tricia Moore
    Tricia Moore August 6, 2013 at 11:20 am | | Reply

I have always thought living with diabetes myself must be far easier than raising a cwd. Props too all the cwd parents out there mine included!

13. denise
    denise August 6, 2013 at 11:22 am | | Reply

I love Will and love his frank advice, even when I don’t always agree with it. I agree that parents who spoil their kids and don’t LET them manage D would have had spoiled kids anyway, just like parents who won’t let the kids load the dishwasher b/c they won’t do it right. But D is different. D is 24 hours a day, every day, your whole life. I let my 10 yr old do as much or as little as she wants regarding D and I pick up the slack. And when she gets a nose bleed or throws up in the middle of the night or when she wet the bed as a little kid, I just cleaned it up. Some things are just too much to expect a kid to do all by themselves.

14. Jeanette Collier
    Jeanette Collier August 6, 2013 at 12:17 pm | | Reply

Well done. Thanks for setting the record straight.

15. Stacey Tate
    Stacey Tate August 6, 2013 at 12:23 pm | | Reply

Thank you, Meri!!

16. Reyna
    Reyna August 6, 2013 at 2:02 pm | | Reply

Woot!

17. Rachel
    Rachel August 6, 2013 at 3:32 pm | | Reply

You are right on the money as always Meri! It’s different for every child… every family and every parents. I know that I can go a few weeks when everything is perfect in d-world and I sleep full nights… and then… all hell brakes lose and you will see me making comments about it on facebook. It’s not all the time… but when it happens… ya it’s something that I and he feels. Love you girl! :)

18. Paulette Cothron
    Paulette Cothron August 6, 2013 at 8:04 pm | | Reply

Thank you Meri! So true.

19. Julia
    Julia August 28, 2013 at 2:19 pm | | Reply

Very well said, and who, better than a Mom of three with Type ` to say it. I think adults assume, mistakenly, that managing children with diabetes is similar to managing adult onset Type 1. Not only is pediatric onset very different than adult onset, age of onset makes a huge difference in children as well. I was grateful she was diagnosed at 8, rather than 2; just as I would rather she be diagnosed as an adult than a child. It’s a time consuming and difficult condition to manage and, if she had to have diabetes the later the better. Childhood is not a good time to have to deal with chronic conditions. Now that she is 16 and her diabetes more closely resembles the adult model of Type 1, I can testify that management is infinitely easier without the extreme growth spurts of childhood. But I would assume that an expert in diabetes care would consult a pediatric endocrinologist or two on pediatric onset Type 1 rather than give an uneducated opinion on the subject on a very popular internet site. I have enjoyed Will’s columns in the past but on this topic I had to respond. Night time testing is one of the topics I feel most strongly about, both to control high blood sugars and treat low blood sugars.