1. Riva
    Riva July 27, 2013 at 6:48 am | | Reply

Thanks for making sense of something so senseless Wil. Like you, I won’t, I don’t change my lancets, and for that matter pen needles and syringes, until I detect an ouch. Could be a few days, more likely a week on the needles and syringes, and two weeks on the lancets.

In no other respects am I a hoarder, except for my diabetes supplies. 42 years with diabetes and I haven’t had an infection from re-using anything.

2. Toby
    Toby July 27, 2013 at 8:01 am | | Reply

One advantage my 10 year-old son pointed out to changing every time is that his skins stays less calloused/thinner and is easier to prick. I would imagine the sharper needle is doing less damage.

3. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter July 27, 2013 at 8:24 am | | Reply

The flirst year after I was diagnosed one of my fingers got infected and swollen, requiring antibiotics. Since then, I try to change my lancet after every use. I agree with Toby’s son. My fingers may have tiny spots on them, but no callouses, at least not from the blood tests. Most of the time, using a fresh 33 gauge, I feel nothing. Absolutely no pain.

Why would I wish to inflict pain on myself? I have nothing to prove. No need to do penance for my sins. And I hate Nietzche.

4. 70-130
    70-130 July 27, 2013 at 4:48 pm | | Reply

I just changed my lancet for the first time in about 7 months. And that was only because someone mentioned it on Twitter; otherwise I probably would have gone a lot longer and not even thought about it.

Perhaps one of my bad habits.

5. Sarah
    Sarah July 27, 2013 at 9:36 pm | | Reply

I change my lancet maybe once a year. Maybe. In 25 years, I’ve never had a problem. Changing them is inconvenient and pain-wise, I can’t tell the difference. The amount of trash generated by all of the stuff we use is ridiculous. Given about 6 checks per day over the last 25 years, I’ve kept about 54, 725 of those things out of the incinerator. I figure if I’m clean, it reasons the lancets are clean (or at least, clean enough). Wash your hands before you check, use those lancets ’til they’re dull! :)

6. Caroline Yeager, M.D.
    Caroline Yeager, M.D. August 1, 2013 at 9:43 pm | | Reply

I remember when contact lenses first came out. Wash you hands, lalala, you know the drill. But after a while, my girlfriend, who had a pair, would rinse it in her mouth and put it back in.

Well, I use a fresh one very time, except if I forget to change it. I test about six times a day. I don’t use alcohol or wash, but my hands are usually fairly clean.

What I DO insist on is the One Touch Delica lancet (33g) and therefore the Delica lancet device. Why? Because I have found there is virtually no pain, no calluses, and I only use one finger now.

Why use lower gauge (larger bore) lancets? If the idea is to do no harm, why would anyone recommend any less? I sure wouldn’t.

7. Caroline Yeager, M.D.
    Caroline Yeager, M.D. August 1, 2013 at 10:07 pm | | Reply

I also wanted to comment on e-cigarettes. I like them. I have quit smoking. I once bought a pack of my old favorite More Menthol after nine months of e-cigs, but I didn’t like them any more.

There is no tobacco, no side-stream smoke, nothing burning (no ash), no smoke, no smell (unless you get cinnamon, e.g.), no ashtrays, no tobacco bits in your purse/pockets.

I noticed you show a Blu photo, but I don’t like them because they don’t work well. I bought them at Walgreens’, but I got my money back from them, because Blu won’t refund a dime.

I use Greensmoke, because it has great vapor, and the comsumables (the nicotine cartridges) cost about half what an equal amount of cigarettes would cost. They also have super customer service.

I do warn you, there are people out there who are idiots. They are usually bullies, too. On Amtrak and on the private train near Sedona, AZ, there is a ban on both cigarettes and e-cigarettes, even though they say they know the difference. One lady told me she could smell it to the back of the train car. When I told her they don’t smell, she replied that I couldn’t smell it because I am a smoker, and smokers can’t smell cigarette smoke. Right.

The “smoke” is a vapor, and they look different. Smoke has curly trails, as in smoke circles, but vapor looks like a mist, like vapor from a steam kettle, I am always asked, “What about kids? What do you tell them?” I say, “The Truth.” Show them how to tell the difference between a cigarette and an e-cigarette, and how the smoke/vapor looks and “smells” different, and how they work. Tell them they are only for adults.

In any event, the cartridges should come in different strengths, from strong down to zero nicotine, so you can use them to taper off, or just continue using what is another delivery system, like the patch. You also no longer get strong urges, so if you have to wait awhile, it’s no biggie. That’s a nice change, too.

If you have any questions, just go to http://www.greensmoke.com . Their site has tons of information for you edification. There are many brands out there, and time will tell whether to, or which one to, chose