1. Doug
    Doug June 15, 2013 at 7:02 am | | Reply

Will – Like Stephanie I also wonder how many years I was going down hill before I was diagnosed. I was DX at 25 but I remember the feeling like Im walking through molasses High BG feeling from my teenage years. There were lots of times that I simply had no energy to do anything. It may just be because I was a lazy kid I dont know but I know the feelings and my perceptions of them were very close.

2. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter June 15, 2013 at 8:51 am | | Reply

I have LADA. My husband believes I had symptoms decades before I was finally diagnosed, initially as Type 2, because I was 48. Passing out, dragging myself home unable to eat, slightly elevated blood sugar when pregnant and then again 3 years before dx. Appendicitis that wasn’t appendicitis when I was in grade school, around the time my neighbor became Type 1. Maybe it all means nothing. Diabetes teaches to look for patterns, but the rest of the world is reassured by seeing nothing.

3. Tim Steinert
    Tim Steinert June 15, 2013 at 9:16 am | | Reply

Our perception of when we started down that slide into Type 1ness is definitely a product of our lifestyle. Being an inveterate bus rider over the past eight years, it was VERY noticeable when I started showing signs of diabetes. When you can’t take a 60 minute bus ride without almost wetting yourself, it’s pretty obvious something is wrong. I was literally packing a pee bottle so I could duck behind a tree when I got off the bus.

Even then, I felt foolish for not figuring it out sooner, because my oldest brother was diagnosed when I was in first grade. My diagnosis came in 38th grade, and I at first thought it was a function of prostate problems.

4. David
    David June 15, 2013 at 9:55 am | | Reply

At age 60 in 2008, when I suddenly developed blurry vision, began urinating frequently, got out of breath when exercising, and lost weight rapidly, I figured I was hyperglycemic. I hoped it was caused by some medicine I was taking. After a week, I went to my family doctor and was misdiagnosed with type 2. My BG was 425 and my A1c was 11.2. As I thought back, I realized that, a few months earlier, I had had more subtle symptoms: small print on street signs was harder to see and my feet sometimes tingled after I finished running. Eventually, after five years managing my BG with Lantus, I began to lose control, ordered my own GAD-65 antibody test which I showed to my doctor to prove that his diagnosis was wrong, and, this past fall, after being referred to an endo, began MDI.

Before 2008, I had not had a physical exam in decades, so I don’t know what my BG may have been in previous years. However, as a long-time runner/jogger, I began to notice a modest decline in my running the year after I had the flu in 2003. (My best 10-K since 2002 came in 2008 after I was on Lantus.) My suspicion is that the flu triggered my immune system to begin its attack on my beta cells and that, true to the name Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adults, the condition progressed like a slow leak for five years until in 2008 the pancreatic dam regulating my glucose suddenly burst. None of my relatives are diabetic, but I guess genetics somehow has a role in predisposing my immune system to go haywire.

5. Anne
    Anne June 16, 2013 at 7:51 pm | | Reply

I had symptoms, including weight loss, hair loss, weird infections almost 2 years before getting diagnosed. I went in once, had a BG of 120-something, and they didn’t remember if it was fasting or not. Then a year and a half later, I insisted that something was wrong and got diagnosed. In a few days, I will have my 2 year diaversary!

6. Lisa
    Lisa June 18, 2013 at 6:34 am | | Reply

Born or made? My daughter was born in 1996 in Denver and at the time, they asked us to participate in the DAISY Diabetes Study. All they needed to do was test her cord blood at birth. Low and behold, her results showed she had two “markers” indicating she was likely to develop Type 1. We have participated in the study since then, filling out questionnaires and having her blood sampled and sent to them every year — kind of waiting for the “big day” if you will. And sure enough, February 22 of this year it came. After going into DKA and being admitted to the PICU, we had the diagnosis of Type 1. Sixteen years after the first indication she would develop it, it was here. Now, mind you, this was after a brief battle with Type 2 a few years ago as a result of Prednisone “therapy” for Systemic-onset JRA and massive weight gain. We successfully beat that back with strict dieting and no medication and they eventually told her she was “cured” and no longer had Type 2. Fast forward three years or so and now the Type 1 is here. I’m going to have to go with “born” on this one.