1. Bruce Miller
    Bruce Miller June 5, 2013 at 4:14 am | | Reply

I always wonder about those of us maintaining very tight control with BG goals of healthy 83-85 mg/dL range that pumps will not help.

These will yo-yo up and down and never have a stable level.

I tried a continuous monitor trial and it was horribly off target with the± 20% FDA allowances. Oh well to paraphrase a quote from a CDE site I am a member of “Diabetics have as many excuses for eating the wrong things as alcoholics have for drinking.” Seems in my experience pumps just provide a free pass and allow DM1-DM2 folks to not worry about tight control or realistic diet constraints.

1. Laura
      Laura June 6, 2013 at 5:19 pm | | Reply

Please be careful presuming things about another diabetic’s control. Your diabetes is not my diabetes, we all have different goals at different levels and and our bodies handle the disease differently. A pump is nowhere near a free pass. Also T1 and T2 are not handled the same way most of the time. You are entitled to your own opinion, but I can tell you from experience that one of the worst feelings as a diabetic is to have someone pass judgements when it is not their place to do so. I just encourage you to keep an open mind even though your experience may not have been great.

Sincerely,
      Laura, Medical Assistant
      T1 13 years, pumper, excellent control

1. Bruce Miller
        Bruce Miller June 6, 2013 at 7:16 pm | | Reply

Tnx for your feedback Laura .

By tight control for me that is maintaining normal healthy levels of 83-85 mg/dL and avoiding complications with an A1C goal of 4.5%. I was on the roller coaster of highs and lows until I went low carb and chose tight control and for me as an insulin dependent diabetic that was the only thing that worked and reveres most of the complications I had accumulated, albeit took many years.

Yes we are all different. That is the great thing about evolution and how we as a species may continue into the future . Fighting the Diabeastie can take may tactics and we each chose what we are comfortable with. As a research scientist the data speaks for itself

Peace and be well.

2. StephenS
    StephenS June 5, 2013 at 4:14 am | | Reply

I don’t know anything about the product beyond your review Amy, but I dig the videos! Why should they all be boring and clinical?

3. Joe
    Joe June 5, 2013 at 5:18 am | | Reply

As a type 2 who tried a Insulin pump a few years ago, I find that I get much better control via MDI’s. Just my 2¢. :-)

4. Mick
    Mick June 5, 2013 at 6:05 am | | Reply

I find that changing the reservoir of a pump is one of the least important aspects of pump design. This company seems to be solely promoting that feature as the only factor to consider. Odd and makes me wonder whether it has any of the very important features of newer pumps such as multiple profiles, uploading, and future integration with CGM.

5. michelle
    michelle June 5, 2013 at 7:07 am | | Reply

Both videos do a good job getting the key point of the pump across -reservoirs that require no filling. We can debate later on how much a benefit that is but I’m not sure you’re looking for that info now.

I like the first video. It’s catchy, it gets the message across. The 2nd video is a little off color. I wouldn’t want my child seeing it on TV but if it’s being used for marketing to adults or solely on their website then I don’t see the issue. You’ll remember seeing it, that’s for sure.

6. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell June 5, 2013 at 8:08 am | | Reply

We really need more fun in products generally. I like the ads, suggestive and informative. If nothing else, these make me want to follow Asante and see where their pumps are going in the future.

7. chris
    chris June 5, 2013 at 9:16 am | | Reply

I don’t think they’re inappropriate, I just don’t see anything very edgy or clever about them. Still, I agree that they’re different enough to make the social media rounds in a way a more matter-of-fact video would not, and perhaps for a start-up with a [presumably] limited marketing budget, that’s good enough. (Also, don’t men usually brag about how long they can spend…prepping their cartridge?)

8. Mike Ratrie
    Mike Ratrie June 5, 2013 at 10:40 am | | Reply

Both were cute in their own way. I definitely think the “Snap” branding with the sounds is very good.

The first one, was a bit over the top, but did leave me wanting to see more info about the pump. The part about doing all that work every 3 days is kinda misleading, IMO.

The second spent too much time on the suggestive adult innuendo. I didn’t understand the point and had to replay it to “get” the product info they were trying to provide.

9. betty
    betty June 5, 2013 at 1:06 pm | | Reply

first one was cute, and not offensive

second was tacky, and not funny at all.

very inappropriate actually.

10. Hannah McD
    Hannah McD June 5, 2013 at 3:58 pm | | Reply

Ad #1 was amusing. I also think it’s interesting because you rarely see any videos trying to do a side-by-side comparison of insulin pumps showing one as an advantage. I think I laughed the most because I am pretty sure that’s a ’2001: A Space Odyssey’ joke there in the middle of the video. And also I always think pump tutorial videos take forever to explain everything about a site change, just like the guy in this video does.

Ad #2 I didn’t find offensive in the least, but I’m a pretty modern, liberal, unprudish woman. If anything, I thought it could have been better written. There are ways to push innuendo over the top without making it seem gross or tasteless. I don’t think the “finishing together” lines needed to be repeated as much. I’m sure there’s better dialogue that could be happening there.

11. David
    David June 5, 2013 at 5:04 pm | | Reply

I appreciate a pump that makes refilling quicker and bubble-free.

12. Kim
    Kim June 5, 2013 at 5:11 pm | | Reply

The videos were okay, but is there an advantage to this pump other than the reservoir loads quickly? Two minutes every three days is not my idea of a hardship. I’d be interested to know about integration with CGM, integration with a meter, is it waterproof, what type of displays does it have, etc.?? One and one half minutes to tell me that the reservoir loads more quickly is kind of a waste of my time.

13. Emma
    Emma June 5, 2013 at 6:12 pm | | Reply

Basically it made me think…I wish medtronic made that for my minimed pump. The overly dramatic wiping of the insulin bottles with the alcohol swap amused me…I’ve had Type I diabetes for 13 years and … I probably did that for the first month.I also wanna know where that lady in her skinny jeans is keeping her insulin pump. If she’s going to set it up, she might as well pretend like she’s going to wear it.

14. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter June 5, 2013 at 8:05 pm | | Reply

Is it indeed bubble free?

15. elizabeth
    elizabeth June 5, 2013 at 10:09 pm | | Reply

The first ad caught my interest. Are the site changes really that simple compared to Medtronic?
    The second was just sad. As in, someone has way too much time on their hands if all they have to do is create crude nonsense.

16. Mike Barry
    Mike Barry June 6, 2013 at 4:15 pm | | Reply

I like the 2001 allusion more than the sexxy one but I found them both reasonably amusing. Nether of them sold me on the product. I’ve had very few problems with the Medtronic pump they are razzing. I find the cartridge refill process pretty cathartic, because I know that hot juice is going into the tank instead of the 4-5 day old stuff that’s gassed.

17. Scott E
    Scott E June 6, 2013 at 4:48 pm | | Reply

I’l agree with the others that the first video was better, but it seemed to lack focus. As soon as the “spotlight” circle appeared towards the lower left and we saw images floating by, I understood what they were trying to say but it seemed they lost the message in the fancy delivery. I still don’t know where that prefilled cartridge goes or what gets done with tubing. She’s got a pre-filled cartridge in her hand., then she snaps it together, then she puts it in her pocket, tubing attached. Huh? I like the ending though, and I think the start and end could stay, but the middle needs some refinement.

The second video just didn’t make sense to me at all. If you’re trying to emphasize speed, don’t put me to sleep with the repetitive “together” nonsense.

Both videos (both pumps in each, too) overemphasized the alcohol swabbing part. If you want to convince me to buy this pump, tell me what’s different about the two methods, not what’s the same.

18. Laura
    Laura June 6, 2013 at 5:28 pm | | Reply

#1 was pretty good for the demographic. Being an experienced pumper I know what my preferences are and the load time just isn’t that important to me. But for some it’s very important and the ad played perfectly to that. I appreciated that it wasn’t full of puppies and joggers and such things, it was more toward the down and dirty side of pumping.

#2 made me squirmy. Mostly because I think there are better ways to advertise a product and it was present very…awkwardly. I have more respect for a company that can sell their product without using sex to do so. It shows they hsve more creativity and originality.

19. gail
    gail June 7, 2013 at 11:35 am | | Reply

Loved the ads. Not even slightly offensive. AND…even for those folks that are slightly offended by the ads WILL STILL REMEMBER THEM and the PRODUCT.
    Very cute and clever.

20. Ben
    Ben June 11, 2013 at 10:08 am | | Reply

First video was good – innovative, memorable and fun in a world that is usually a bit stuffy.

The second one will backfire on you and if you should have any issues with your product, an ad like this one will not only haunt you but be used by your competitors subliminally to send a message that you are not a serious device company.

21. Ian
    Ian July 9, 2013 at 2:28 am | | Reply

Do people really use the alcohol swap!? I never have, probably never will.